Question on will bike box fit in rental car when in Munich??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

legs 11

by legs 11

I'd try to get hold of an estate rather than a MPV, lay your bike boxes over on their side.
Probably in a cheaper rental group too. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ploglet

by ploglet

Rich,

Thanks for the conversion and for the answer. It sounds like I can fit the boxes in the car and worse case would be that I will have to strap one of the boxes on top of the roof or something (hopefully not).
You have rented one of these cars before and could fit two bike boxes inside of it? I am not sure how I can fit the boxes in if from the calculations noted below are correct?

richardtoddywoddy wrote:Gepäckraum / Lugguage Space
Länge, Sitzbank aufgestellt / umgekl., mm 1145 / 1744
Length, Rear Seats Up / Down, mm
Größte Breite, mm 1050
Width, mm
Breite zwischen den Radkästen, mm 1050
Width between the wheel aches
Höhe, mm 571
Height

So put that into inches.....

Length seats up 45.03 inches
Width 41.33 inches
Between the wheel aches 41.33 inches
Height 22.48 inches

And the case is:

49.6”x 33.5 x 12.6”

So it is too long, just. However the Touran I last drove had three seperate rear seats. If you fold down two, the two boxes will go in side by side and you will still have a seat in the rear.

Rich

ploglet

by ploglet

Yeah that was my original thought but I am not positive that I can put them both in the car and still have a small seat for my 5 year old son to sit. There is a Mercedes E220 Estate that I can rent but I am not positive on the size of the rear section.

legs 11 wrote:I'd try to get hold of an estate rather than a MPV, lay your bike boxes over on their side.
Probably in a cheaper rental group too. :wink:

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Sorry, I missed out the length in inches with the seats folded. That is 66.66 inches. There are three rear seats, and the one we have they are all seperate and can be independently folded.

All this means both boxes should go in without trouble and there will be a nice little seat for the nipper.

ploglet

by ploglet

Rich,

Thanks that is perfect and you have made my day. Now I just need to make sure they have one in stock and then it is off to the Giro!

Jason

richardtoddywoddy wrote:Sorry, I missed out the length in inches with the seats folded. That is 66.66 inches. There are three rear seats, and the one we have they are all seperate and can be independently folded.

All this means both boxes should go in without trouble and there will be a nice little seat for the nipper.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Is there a VW dealer near where you live at the moment? Perhaps you could go a check one out?!

ploglet

by ploglet

That would be perfect expect that they dont sell the Touran over here in the States. If I dont go the Touran route, I will have to go the estate wagon route and put one of the boxes on the top of the car. This is the less optimal route for sure.

richardtoddywoddy wrote:Is there a VW dealer near where you live at the moment? Perhaps you could go a check one out?!

mycar7

by mycar7

ploglet wrote:I am going over to Italy to ride this summer and need to peer to peer car rental service and have been looking at the Volkswagen Touran but I was wondering if anyone on the board has one or has rented one and if you can fit two bike boxes in the thing while only putting down one side of the back seat?

Any other suggestions? Renting a full size van is a last resort as I have done this on a previous trip and the cost of the full size ones is crazy these days.

Recently i did this, I took two bicycle boxes in the thing while only putting down one side of the back seat?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've travelled in Italy rented a vw Passat station wagon. With seats down and got my scicon aerotech plus wife's biknd helium plus two duffles in. Tight fit but it was fine.

gtinut

by gtinut

Touran should be fine. Just reserve cars from two different companies. don't forget Avis and Budget share cars and reservation system and don't use them at the same time. Sixt is other option which is cheaper than Avis.

liam7020

by liam7020

Hired a VW Touran at Palma Airport in Mallorca a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed. At that time I had a Koffer Bike Safe, which admittedly is a very large box, but did struggle to fit the missus, my daugther, three average sized suitcases and the bike all in. The biggest pain with that year model of Touran was the fact that the small rear seats didn't fold down but had to be lifted out. To allow my daughter to sit on one half of the middle seat the other half had to be folded down and then one of the rear seats lifted out thus permitting the bike box to be slotted in upright. With everything and everybody squeezed in I was left with the removed small rear seat which I, naively as it turns out, assumed the hire company would keep until I returned the vehicle at the end of the holiday. WRONG!!! They absolutely refused to keep the seat until I returned, stating that it had to stay with the vehicle. So I literally had to kick the removed rear seat into the back of the Touran but it wasn't a safe load and I was a very pissed off bunny. And of course I had to repeat the whole performance at the end of the holiday before returning to the airport.

The following year at Palma I hired a Ford Galaxy which was a considerably better option than the Touran. The same load as the previous year, including the Koffer Bike Case, fitted in with consummate ease, the Galaxy was a joy to drive and fuel economy was superb.

In fairness I believe the rear seats of the current model year of Touran may now also fold but my advice would be to spend a few more Euro and get something slightly larger.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

duvivr6

by duvivr6

If you can afford upgrading to something like a T5 or Sprinter van it would be better.

Touran has nice space, its kinda like a Mazda 5 in the US.

Exar

by Exar

The Mercedes E-Class might fit the boxes in the boot with the rear seats folded up (my Volvo V70 did) because the boot is quite wide, but it's hard to believe that an MPV (such as a Galaxy) wouldn't be cheaper to rent.
Chains to the right!

bumpkin

by bumpkin

Will fit in a BMW X1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Don't think there's any problem geting a bike box into the back of a Beamer - I was able to get my Bike Safe into the back of an Opel Astra. However, if I recall correctly, the OP was taking his missus and child so he'll need at least one back seat to stay up. Hence the need for a MPV/van. Could always put the bike box in the back and bungee the kid to the roof I suppose.....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen