Giant TCR Paint project..updated pics w/weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

A few weeks ago I took this frame and fork to my local auto body shop to get "stripped" and clearcoated. They did not look too excited about the prospect of screwing up the carbon because the guy does not have any experience with this material so I decieded I would try this myself so if/when I screwed it up, it would be my own fault. I started with the fork because it is much easier and cheaper to replace it than the whole frame. And I still might put a WCS fork on it. I started with plain old sandpaper and quickly found out that would take a LONG time and my arms would fall off too. So, on to the Dremel. The Dremel did almost all of the work. I also quickly determined that the stripes are paint and not stickers. After getting all of the paint off(at this point I thought it was all ruined) I sanded the whole frame then cleaned with mineral spirits. Then I applied 3 coats of the poly. This is the first experience I have had doing ANYTHING like this so I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I did rush more than I should and yes if you look close you can see some imperfections but all in all, I'm happy with it. If I can do it, anyone can. I will weigh it when I find a scale and I might have some custom stickers made up.
Attachments
gianttcr3.jpg
gianttcr5.jpg
gianttcr2.jpg
barkley 012.jpg
gianttcr.jpg
giantproject3.jpg
giantproject2.jpg
giantproject.jpg
Last edited by CaptainWilier on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ripley451

by Ripley451

Nice work, looks far nicer IMHO :thumbup:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Couple more pics. Man's 2 best friends. 8) It will be interesting to see how long the polyurethane lasts. I will probably wax it to help it last longer. The cool thing is I can just sand it away and try again.
Attachments
gianttcr4.jpg
giantproject1.jpg
Last edited by CaptainWilier on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

I can only see the frame, I can't see the dremel :lol:
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

DiterDV

by DiterDV

What a nice job you did!! :o I have the same frame (yellow-white) and I was thinking to change the yellow in white, or just leave the white stripes. So your project is really interesting for me. Do you think it is possible only to erase the yellow stripes?
There's no point in living if you can't feel alive - JB

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

Well done...

How much for a can of Minwax and where did you buy it? Is that stuff comparable to the original clearcoat finish?

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

DiterDV wrote:What a nice job you did!! :o I have the same frame (yellow-white) and I was thinking to change the yellow in white, or just leave the white stripes. So your project is really interesting for me. Do you think it is possible only to erase the yellow stripes?

Yes, I removed them one stripe at a time(mine was the blue and white one).

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

absolutely beautiful....i'd be scared myself to use a dremel for fear of cutting thru the carbon....i'd use regular sandpaper if i were to attempt the same project for my frame.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

shabbasuraj wrote:Well done...

How much for a can of Minwax and where did you buy it? Is that stuff comparable to the original clearcoat finish?

Thank you. I'm not sure where you live, but I bought the "clearcoat" at Home Depot. Its intended use if for wood, so not sure how long it will hold up on carbon being used outdoors in sun and rain. Can only hope.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

mike wrote:absolutely beautiful....i'd be scared myself to use a dremel for fear of cutting thru the carbon....i'd use regular sandpaper if i were to attempt the same project for my frame.

I started with sandpaper and saw that would take a long time. With the dremel, just have to stop below the paint, but I'll let you know if it comes apart on me while going down hill. :shock:

Bikes4fun

by Bikes4fun

Nice work!

A couple of questions :
1) What size is that?
2) Did you weigh it before and after the clear coat?

Auk

by Auk

Never a more timely post, as I was just wondering about stripping paint off of carbon. I just acquired a set of used Zipp 440's that have white paint on them. I see my project for the upcoming week. :twisted: I will post updates and results when I get underway.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

CaptainWilier wrote:
shabbasuraj wrote:Well done...

Thank you. I'm not sure where you live, but I bought the "clearcoat" at Home Depot. Its intended use if for wood, so not sure how long it will hold up on carbon being used outdoors in sun and rain. Can only hope.

Lots of Home Depot's around my part of earth.

I wish to do the same thing to one of my bikes, and have no doubt about my ability removing decals, but it is the clearcoating part I am most worried about as I want to get the same 'high gloss' look of the original...

Looking at your job, it looks like it is entirely possible...

shiny_car

by shiny_car

yeah, it's go me thinking too (i have an '05 TCR0 frameset). good work. :)

*what dremel attachment have you used there?
*how 'deep' do you have to go? is the paintwork only very superficial?

:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

Bikes4fun wrote:Nice work!

A couple of questions :
1) What size is that?
2) Did you weigh it before and after the clear coat?

It is a small and no, I haven't weighed it yet but will before I build it up.