2012 Specilized Tarmac S-Works SL4 : SRAM Red : 6.65kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

I was finally able to build my 2012 Specilized Tarmac S-Works SL4. Built with mostly SRAM Red and Stan's no tubes. Here is the build thread. I wasn't able to ride it at all the season but I can't wait to ride it next season.

Frame 56cm - 936g
Praxis Bottom Bracket - 151g
Fork - 334g

SRAM Red 172.5mm 50/34t Crankset - 631g
SRAM Red Front D - 68g
SRAM Red Rear D - 146g
SRAM Red Brakes - 257g
Swiss Stop Pads - 24g

Stans No Tubes Front Wheel - 545g
Tube - 67g
Specialized S-Works Tire - 210g

Stans No Tubes Rear Wheel - 768g
Tube - 67g
Specialized S-Works Tire - 210g

Zipp Skewers - 55g
SRAM Red 11-23 Cassette - 153g
Compression plug - 29g
Stem - 154g
FSA Carbon Handlebar - 242g
Specialized S Works Toupe Seat - 167g
S Work Seatpost - 205g
SRAM Red Shifters - 254g
Bontrager Bar Tape - 81g
Hoods - 43g
Speedplay Chomely Pedals - 222g

Total Weight - 6.65KG or 14.67 pounds

Pictures:

Question: The front wheel and the back wheels had different stickers so I ordered new wheels stickers but I'm starting to think that it looks better with no wheel stickers. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Alpine318is on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That fire red always works!

Not willing to rain on your parade, but just looking at your pictures I'd say the frame is just one size to large for you.
The nose of the saddle is tipped down to an angle where a toy car would roll off, a clear indicator that it is not the right saddle for you. (this could also be the angle of the picture.)

The wheels look great without stickers. I'd peel them off. this saves grams as well.
you could also save some more grams by cutting the cables that come out of the brakes and derailleurs shorter. for brake cables I always try to cut them at the center of the brake pad bolt. The cables that come out of the derailleur can be cut as short as the brake cables.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Thanks for the comments.

As for the frame size, because its pretty much winter here I didn't bother setting up the bike to my height at all. I was fit to a 56cm tarmac at a local shop before I bought the frame so once spring rolls around I will adjust everything to my height. Good catch though!

I agree on the stickers. They seem to just look better bare.

I will investigate the cables some more tonight. The used yokozuna reaction cables which have a really hard housing. The cables coming from the handlebars aren't really that long, they just face forward because when the come out of the frame because there is not very much movement in the housings.

Thanks for the comments!
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

Wull

by Wull

Lovely jubbly :thumbup:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

i'm a big fan of the red tarmacs (i have one myself) but I think the +ve rise stem and mountain bike pedals look a bit off. And those cables are too long, thats not just stiff housing.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Great looking frame. Strange question: any way you could measure the downtube S-Works decal? Height & length? I'm having a frame repainted and forgot to measure before sanding

yamacrab

by yamacrab

Could save around 60g rotational weight by switching to lightweight inner tubes for relatively cheap $. Very nice bike!

KTCY

by KTCY

very nice bike.very nice bike. :beerchug:

ShayMc

by ShayMc

Love the bike, top effort but please drop the brick pedals !

F45

by F45

I like the red of the frame and the color choices of the components.

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Ltoddokc wrote:Great looking frame. Strange question: any way you could measure the downtube S-Works decal? Height & length? I'm having a frame repainted and forgot to measure before sanding

Sure I can do that tonight when I get home.

yamacrab wrote:Could save around 60g rotational weight by switching to lightweight inner tubes for relatively cheap $. Very nice bike!

That's some good advice. I will keep that in mind for when the spring rolls around

ShayMc wrote:Love the bike, top effort but please drop the brick pedals !

NiFTY wrote:i'm a big fan of the red tarmacs (i have one myself) but I think the +ve rise stem and mountain bike pedals look a bit off. And those cables are too long, thats not just stiff housing.

Yeah the pedals were just something that I had lying around that I put on there in the interim. I have used SPD pedals and cleats for the last year and during the winter I will be researching a more road bike style pedal/cleat/shoe set up. I am leaning towards speedplay's

As for the cables. I look at them last night and while I agree they are a tad bit long I don't think they are extremely long. I really do think they sit forward because of the stiffness of them and the angle going into the downtube. I took two pictures of the front of the bike. The first is how they currently sit and the second is if you were to push them back parallel to the handlebars. Could I lose a few CM off the cables? Probably, but I don't think its that bad. Curious to hear peoples thoughts though.

Thanks again for the comments!

SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

spartan

by spartan

nice build.. red really pops.

one thing i noticed this was the first time someone listed the weight of the praxis bb..

150gm WTF !!

shimano bb86 weighs in around 70gm...specialized when will you abandon bb30.. crappy standard.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Roadrippin29

by Roadrippin29

You should definitely lose the black grip tape and go with white. Looks more race like, better contrast. Looks fast, go fast. Just my opinion!

Roadrippin29

by Roadrippin29

Also you should consider switching the tires for something good. It's worth spending the extra money to get it lighter since its rotational weight and bc you only have a little traction you want the best contact possible. I suggest losing the turbo tires at 230grams and go with the soyo scr silk seamless racing tires. 20 grams lighter and better traction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Ltoddokc wrote:Great looking frame. Strange question: any way you could measure the downtube S-Works decal? Height & length? I'm having a frame repainted and forgot to measure before sanding

SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7