how many grams if i cut away disc hub tabs?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

currently i have 6 bolts tab on my american classic disc hub. I feel 4 bolts is enough for a disc brake so i need to cut two of the tabs. How much gram can i save this? Anyone can help me out?thanx :D
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

polaris

by polaris

Work out how much Al you think you're removing and use the density...

....although I have to say that this is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard for saving weight - even from you Crashman.
.....but it still has to work!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Stylomilo wrote:currently i have 6 bolts tab on my american classic disc hub. I feel 4 bolts is enough for a disc brake so i need to cut two of the tabs. How much gram can i save this? Anyone can help me out?thanx :D

Why do this? It would void the warranty and make the hub look nasty, even if you made a nice job of it. I'd leave it alone....
Ride lightly!

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

polaris wrote:Work out how much Al you think you're removing and use the density...

....although I have to say that this is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've heard for saving weight - even from you Crashman.

Im extremely weight-weenies. I love to cut, saw and weight because i want my bike to be as light as possible. Thats why im going to ask you guys here about the safety and procedure.Btw, i havent cut it yet. i just wait for everyone here to reply before killing my hub. Polaris, every grams count. :wink:

Crashman

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:Why do this? It would void the warranty and make the hub look nasty, even if you made a nice job of it. I'd leave it alone....

My bike is already nasty :lol: . I already cut my crank-arm granny bolts which i dont use granny. I snap my brake lever which i crash. I take the lever and i replace with PVC body(modify).....

Original Altek Left brake lever=70g
Modify Altek lever with PVC body=55g :shock: but turn out flex

Anyway, Im not worried about the looks but the weight. I think im not going to cut my hub tabs or i will void the warranty. Jeez, i never think of that. I feel like im being posses by a weight demon. Ye Olde Balde One, thanks alot for reminding me. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielgillett

by danielgillett

According to "New Zealand Mountain Biker" magazine, pro DH racer John Kirkcaldie uses only 3 bolts on each rotor.

Also, "Mountain Bike Action" magazine stated that some pro DH racer used Beryllium parts

Quite interesting to see that DH's are taking interest in our game.