Vittoria Corsa Evo CX or Continental Competition Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dammit

by Dammit

I rode the 320 TPI Vittoria's last year and Conti Comps this year.

I'd give the Vittoria's the nod on comfort, but the hammer blow advantage for the Conti's is that the grip does not vanish the second the road gets vaguely damp.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

It really depends on for what you're going to use the tyres. For good weather riding (exclusively) - Vittoria. For allround riding and racing (with weather being unpredictable) - Conti. Vittorias (and Veloflexes) just suck when the road gets wet, regardless of the tyre pressure.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

Oh I completely agree- on a summer only, never-in-the-rain wheelset Vittoria every time.

Living in the UK though it's sometimes impossible to guarantee that the weather in which you set out for your ride will be that in which you return.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I found the Conti ride to be very "harsh" and the tires are VERY difficult to mount... I think its the vectran in there?? All I know is its a fight and half and I never was able to mount one without leaving glue all over the place....

I currently have CX Evos on my TT wheels, and they have never been an issue.. I personally like the Veloflex line the best, but the tires I wanted weren't available at purchase time....

jeffy

by jeffy

So what is a good alternative, to the Conti Comp but is easier to fit (not the best ride, but durable and not a hose pipe)?

Thread Bump :P

zappafile123

by zappafile123

fdegrove wrote: EVO CX is a complete disaster in the wet... That and puncture resistance are two parameters where Comps really shine.

I want to second this opinion. I had the misfortune of racing on Evo's in the wet. On at least two occasions, sudden application of power - perfectly natural in a race - almost caused the rear wheel to slip out from under me. Made me feel pretty nervous.

Evo's feel relatively nice, but I dont think they are all that much faster than conti comps if at all. I have almost 2000kms on my Comps now and they are doing way better than Evo's - they last around 1000kms, especially on the rear.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jeffy wrote:So what is a good alternative, to the Conti Comp but is easier to fit (not the best ride, but durable and not a hose pipe)?

Thread Bump :P

Used both CX III and Conti Comps, i would say try Schwalbe The One. I really like these (using tubulars) inspite of the weight.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sawyer

by sawyer

Schwalbe One is easier to mount than Conti Comps and overall ride pretty similar - latex tube doesn't make much difference in that casing. IME it has a bit less puncture resistance

One option is the Vittoria SR. Grippy and stouter than the CX IME
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

One do not have latex tubes any more

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Today was my first *proper* ride in the rain on my conti comps for this mornings Coluzzi bunch. I flatted the rear after 57km. I get the feeling that racing tubs and wet weather are a bad combination full stop. Its the third time I've ridden in the rain on tubs and flatted.

Is there such a thing as a supple tub you can ride in the wet? After all, a considerable reason for riding tubs is the ride quality - it kind of defeats the purpose if you put on gatorskins.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I get the feeling that racing tubs and wet weather are a bad combination full stop. Its the third time I've ridden in the rain on tubs and flatted.

Mere bad luck I'd say. There's no logical explanation why you wouldn't have flatted on a similar clincher.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sawyer

by sawyer

zappafile123 wrote:Today was my first *proper* ride in the rain on my conti comps for this mornings Coluzzi bunch. I flatted the rear after 57km. I get the feeling that racing tubs and wet weather are a bad combination full stop. Its the third time I've ridden in the rain on tubs and flatted.

Is there such a thing as a supple tub you can ride in the wet? After all, a considerable reason for riding tubs is the ride quality - it kind of defeats the purpose if you put on gatorskins.

As fdegrove said there is nothing about tubs per se that puts them at a disadvantage in the rain. In fact the opposite is true

Handling, safety (esp on fast descents), lightness of rims are the key reasons for riding tubs. The ride quality point is only relevant in that tubs make latex tubes a safe option.

I suggest you try the Vittoria SR. 24mm. 320tpi. Latex inner. sticks like toddler 5hit to a blanket and has decent puncture resistance. All that for a minor crr penalty

sawyer

by sawyer

LionelB wrote:One do not have latex tubes any more

Another reason not to buy them! Though to be fair they didn't ride that well to begin with but are decent all rounders

zappafile123

by zappafile123

sawyer wrote:
I suggest you try the Vittoria SR. 24mm. 320tpi. Latex inner. sticks like toddler 5hit to a blanket and has decent puncture resistance. All that for a minor crr penalty

Vittoria SR? I hadnt heard of them. I might give them a go next time I pick up some tires.

Well I would say that tubs are at a disadvantage with respect to puncture resistance in my experience so far. In general I flat Conti gp4000s II clinchers maybe once every 5,000km or so (after ~40,000km or riding on them). I've put ~2000km on tubs over all and have experienced 5 flats. Tried 3 x tufo s3 lites, 1 x corsa evo and now 1 x conti comps. However, stans no tubes fixed the puncture in the conti comp :)

djconnel

by djconnel

I really like the Vittoria Cronos: super-light and super-fast (according to Al Morrison's measurements) but unfortunately not particularly durable. I use them only for hillclimbs but hillclimbs generally involve warm-up and descending afterwards as well, so the miles add up. You've got to be particularly careful to not skid on them. But the point of using tubulars is to be fast, right?

For road races I have Veloflex Carbons and those have treated me very well. Crr isn't as good and they're heavier but handling and durability are more important there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com