Quarq upgrade, what to do...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndreLM

by AndreLM

As per Praxis FAQ:

POWER METERS - Do your rings work with the spider based power meter systems?
YES – Our rings work great on Power2Max, SRM, and newer Quarq systems. Some older Quarq systems were finicky in calibration and per Quarq our 52/36 set and 53/39 Clover calibrated best on those. But the newer Quarq Elsa and Riken are no problem at all. Mount them up!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

AndreLM wrote:As per Praxis FAQ:

POWER METERS - Do your rings work with the spider based power meter systems?
YES – Our rings work great on Power2Max, SRM, and newer Quarq systems. Some older Quarq systems were finicky in calibration and per Quarq our 52/36 set and 53/39 Clover calibrated best on those. But the newer Quarq Elsa and Riken are no problem at all. Mount them up!

i would tend to follow Quarq's recommendation for the non-clover type for the Riken/Elsa rather than the advice of the chainring manufacturer.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I agree that it is better to trust Quarq than Praxis recommendation here. However, if you strictly follow Quarq recommendation, you should use only a SRAM drivetrain:

Quarq Elsa and Riken:
Chainrings: SRAM TSM
Official Compatibility: SRAM RED, SRAM Force, SRAM Rival and SRAM Apex Front Derailleurs

As per FAQ:
I have an 11-speed drivetrain. What are my options?
We have customers successfully using the following chainrings on Quarq power meters with 11-speed drivetrains:
Rotor Q and No-Q in 130 BCD and 110 BCD
Stronglight CT2 in 130 BCD only
FSA Pro Road in 130 BCD and 110 BCD
Wick Werks in 130 BCD and 110 BCD

I personally have a Quarq Riken with 52/36 Praxis Clover rings. No problems, except for the porky weight…

That being said, my next PM will be a P2M or a Rotor PM (and Praxis rings).

r_mutt

by r_mutt

my guess is that they might be "required" to suggest using SRAM drivetrain only as they are owned by SRAM, but in reality, the Riken/Elsa will work with any system - hence the move from S975 SRAM branded crankarms to Quarq branded SRAM S975 crankarms on the Elsa and Riken. i called direct to get their opinion on matters. great customer service.

boysa

by boysa

Just to follow up, I called Quarq yesterday and they said with the new omnical models, either set of Praxis rings would be fine. I decided to roll the dice and give the clovers a try.

FWIW, Praxis seems to have wonderful customer service. Spoke with them, as well, and my rings should be here Friday.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Do all the StrongLight chainrings work well with a Quarq (Riken) ? I was looking at the Zircal model.