Installing tubes on a carbon rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

I want to install my vittoria tube on my corima disk (carbon rim). I have never installed a tube on a rim.

I have heard that installing a tube on a carbon rim is more complicated that on an alu rim. Is that correct? What is the difference? How should a install it?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

On carbon rims I clean the surface with alcohol wipes (I use the ones Nurses use on skin) before building up two layers of Conti glue (the clear stuff). I also apply one coat to the base tape of the tire and let the rim coats dry overnight before the next coat. After this I put one final coat on the rim and immediately fit the tire, make sure it's straight and leave it overnight with about 50psi in to hold the shape. That produces a very secure bond.

I've recently tried the Tufo tape, and while it works, I don't trust it so much so I stopped using it.
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Go with the Tufo extreme tape. I have used it for a couple of seasons now and I am not going back to glue. Glue is a mess........

Paul_nl

by Paul_nl

Ye Olde Balde One wrote:On carbon rims I clean the surface with alcohol wipes (I use the ones Nurses use on skin) before building up two layers of Conti glue (the clear stuff). I also apply one coat to the base tape of the tire and let the rim coats dry overnight before the next coat. After this I put one final coat on the rim and immediately fit the tire, make sure it's straight and leave it overnight with about 50psi in to hold the shape. That produces a very secure bond.

I've recently tried the Tufo tape, and while it works, I don't trust it so much so I stopped using it.

Thanks

But what is the advantage of 2 layers glue?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Paul_nl wrote:
Ye Olde Balde One wrote:On carbon rims I clean the surface with alcohol wipes (I use the ones Nurses use on skin) before building up two layers of Conti glue (the clear stuff). I also apply one coat to the base tape of the tire and let the rim coats dry overnight before the next coat. After this I put one final coat on the rim and immediately fit the tire, make sure it's straight and leave it overnight with about 50psi in to hold the shape. That produces a very secure bond.

Thanks

But what is the advantage of 2 layers glue?

It makes sure you have a good base. I find with Conti glue it's too thin to just use one layer, two is perfect.
Ride lightly!

spytech

by spytech

has anyone tried this, is suppose to dry very, very fast and stick alot better than other glue. i have seen what other 3m products can do, i would like to believe this is some super glue.

it sells at http://www.worldclasscycles.com for $8.75 for 5 oz.

oddsos

by oddsos

Spytech, Fast tack is not supposed to be good for glueing tubulars. The solvents are incompatible with some base tapes and can lead to the tyre seperating from the base tape.

I have also heard that Fast tack becomes brittle once it has cured. This can agan lead to problems with debonding as the tubulars flex.

I believe that track riders use products such as Fast tack to allow quick preparation of wheels for racing. Fast tack also provides lower rolling resistance which is an important consideration for track events. Normal tubular glues lose energy through hysteresis as the glue line is flexed whereas Fast tack behaves more like an elastic material and exhibits less losses.

Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com