speedplay's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goldielox

by goldielox

thinking of getting rid of my shimano's and going with speedplays, go ahead and sell me on why i should

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Dual sided entry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tigoose

by tigoose

That's what I did. Best pedals I've used. I feel more connected to the bike. Go for it.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

You should if you:
- like dual sided entry so much that you cannot ride without it
- want to support a company that goes out of its way to sue consumers at the drop of a hat
- enjoy having to replace expensive cleats relatively often due to the onset of lateral drift
or you stick with the Shimano pedals which are pretty much a benchmark for performance...

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

You should if you
- like dual sided entry - I do
- like to adjust the amount of float you want
- like good clearing distance when going through a corner

You shouldn't if you
- think the cleats are expensive
- don't like to do maintenance on your pedals
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Delorre

by Delorre

Stolichnaya wrote:- enjoy having to replace expensive cleats relatively often due to the onset of lateral drift

If you use the speedplay carbon sole protection plates (even on the 3 hole adaptor plate), you get rid of the rocking for thousands of miles. I talk from experience! And a little lube on the cleats do wonders to. So, yes, you maybe have a little more maintenance to do, but you get a lot of other advantages!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I use Speedplays on all 3 of my bikes and am very happy with them.
Do a search, there are a number of threads discussing Speedplays in depth.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Delorre, I used Speedplay for many years. They worked well with new cleats, buuuutt, speaking from experience, they ultimately revealed themselves to be: a PITA to set up, in need of cleat lube weekly, in need of pedal body lube monthly, requiring extra adaptors to solve design problems, expensive to maintain and managed by a crew that has has proven themselves to be a little twitchy with nonsense legal action.
I switched to a system that is lighter, simpler, cheaper, easier to maintain, has great cleat longevity, no squeaks ever, no laternal drift ever, has easy availability of every single part of the pedal for rebuilds, easy spindle length adjustability and is managed by a bunch of super guys.
The only minor plus that Speedplay brings with it is dual sided entry, which, is a non-issue for me.

Rick

by Rick

I used speedplay for many years and never had any problem at all with maintenance. In fact I rarely even lubed them. I did try to keep things clean, but it seemed like they actually worked better with no lube; lubes attracts dirt, which then sticks.
I squirted the pedals full of new grease about once a year. And I changed cleats once per year, riding 7000 - 9000 miles per year.

If you need, or just like, float, it seems like SP are really a good option.

That being said, I did switch to Dura-Ace and they are even lower maintenance. But I have to admit that I do miss the dual sided entry. It seems like there are pros and cons to every one of the pedal systems.

xena
Banned

by xena

loved them ,,,I just went through to many cleats [3pair a year] , to expensive otherwise I would have stayed with them.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

KarlC

by KarlC

Rick wrote:I ......... never had any problem at all with maintenance. In fact I rarely even lubed them. I did try to keep things clean, but it seemed like they actually worked better with no lube; lubes attracts dirt, which then sticks.
I squirted the pedals full of new grease about once a year. And I changed cleats once per year, riding 7000 - 9000 miles per year.

If you need, or just like, float, it seems like SP are really a good option.

+1 on all of this
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

What Stoli said. And their hyperactive lawyers have left a bad taste in my mouth. They will not be getting my (albeit very few) dollars. Plenty of other systems out there.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I like mine... especially if you have a 4 bolt drilled shoe.. you are literally on top of the pedal!

Pros:
- Shoe Sole literally on top of the pedal
- Lots of float adjustment
- Replacement parts readily available
- awesome corning clearance
- dual sided entry

Draw backs:
- Cleats need to be changed out and aren't cheap (well compared to a Look cleat)
- Cleats need to be lubed because of irritating squeeky noises.. only my 3 hole shoes do this, my 4 holes don't.. but I do have the carbon sole protector on the 4 bolt so this may be part of it
- Pedals need to be maintained... you will need to get a grease gun, or similar device to inject grease.. no big deal

nga

by nga

I'm switching to Shimano next season. I'm kind of completely fed up that you'll need to grease the pedals virtually after every non-dry ride unless you enjoy your bike squealing. I own 2 x Zero Ti's and 2 x Zero stainless steels.

nickf

by nickf

Mine are due for new pedal bodies. The plastic is worn badly and i have lots of rocking in the system. They are 6 years old.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com