TT-bike FM086

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SkippiTT

by SkippiTT

Unfortunately I had to sell my previous project.

So I haven’t cycled for a year (since April last year), started again this February. Slowly but surely pace and duration are getting back again, so thought it would be time for a new TT-bike!

Goal is to get a TT-bike which is under 8kg on a budget. So that means lots of ebaying, hunting for sales and china.
Frame of choice: Hongfu FM086 (size 54)

Frame (including: headset bearings, rear derailleurpad, seatpostclamp) :
Fork
Seatpost
Seatclamp
Stem (with all of 9 screws..)
Basebar
Extensions and armpads
Saddle Pro Aerofuel
Brakelevers PlanetX
Crankset SRAM RED Exogram BB130 175mm (without chainringbolts, +10gr)
Front wheel Pro 4-rays, with Vittoria SC (wheel and tire)
Rear wheel Farsports 38mm
With a friend I’m in the process of building wheelcovers for it, which will be permanently bonded to the wheel, hoping to stay well below 1kg for the discwheel.
Rear tire Vittoria SC
Quick look with wheels.
New helmet: Scott Split (size M, gold brown visor) 423gr including visor.

Stuff that has already been ordered:
Fibre-lyte chainring
Extra spacers for under the armpads/extensions
Griptape for the handlebars

Still to be ordered:
Shifter
BB30 bearings
Rear derailleur
Cassette
Chain
Longer cables

Scale weights:
Frame FM086 - 1582
Fork FM086 - 519
BB Enduro Abec 5 - 60
4x bottlecage bolts - 0 (tape)
Headset FM086 - incl frame
Saddle Pro Aerofuel - 294
Seatpost FM086 - 149
Seatpost clamp FM086 - 7 (bolt only)
seatclamp FM086 - 83
Pedals Shimano PD-R540 - 329

COCKPIT
Basebar FM086 - 275
Spacers + bolts FM086 - 138
Clips + pads FM086 - 210
Extensions Zipp Skibend - 175
Stem FM086- 286
Expander FM086 - 41
Griptape - 18

CONTROLS
Shifter Shimano DA TT - 72
Brakelever Planet-X - 98

DRIVETRAIN
Rear derailleur Shimano RD-5800 - 228
Crank SRAM Exogram - 371
Chainring Fibre-Lyte 58 - 132
Chainring bolts - 10
Cassette
Chain Shimano 5800 - 253

BRAKES
Trp ttv front - 126
Trp ttv rc - 128
Brakepads Wiggle - 20

Cables Jagwire - 180
Cable adjuster Shimano - 24

WHEELS
Front Pro 4-Rays - 667
Rear Farsports 38mm*21 - 678 (covers will be added)
2x Vittoria corsa sc - 498
QR Skewers Farsports - 45
air, glue, misc - 26

Total 7728
Last edited by SkippiTT on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

You'll probably figure this out when you put it together, but you don't use the plastic shim and the wavy washer on those cranks. The black adjuster is all you need to preload the BB bearings.

bencolem

by bencolem

Well the helmet's a good weight...

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Very cool, I'm def following this build. (y)

Did you manage to do a (test)fitting already? I'm curious about that frame too but I don't know what would fit. :/
Ride it like you stole it

Grill

by Grill

Just as an FYI, don't get too caught up on weight, especially if it's at the expense of a part that's more aero. Weight on a TT bike means feck-all, CdA is what's important.

bencolem

by bencolem

Grill wrote:Just as an FYI, don't get too caught up on weight, especially if it's at the expense of a part that's more aero. Weight on a TT bike means feck-all, CdA is what's important.

Totally agree - but then this is weightweenies not slowtwitch and the OP did weigh his helmet!

SkippiTT

by SkippiTT

I won't forget the aeroness, I'm a big lurker over on Slowtwitch. Besides I'm a big ass nerd when it comes to aero stuff on bikes (ask my friends ;))!
First thing is to get something to ride hard again, then later I'll upgrade and build some parts to improve both weight and aero. First I want to be satisfied with position and speed, because building stuff (handlebars for example) will lock me into one position.

Tomstr, I did a sort of prefit, took some shots with a different amount of risers on it. Today I got some extra risers from Ian Cammish. I will post some pictures of me on it when it's ready, first race is in two weeks, so have to hurry. Since the BMC I raised my seat about a cm, and will probably ride with a little less drop. BMC, size M-L had 17cm of drop, will now ride with around 15cm.
If i remember correctly my inseam is around 89cm with a 189cm body.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Just a heads up, when you go to adjust the seatpost. Unscrew the fixing bolt several turns, with the allen in the screw, tap the allen lightly with a mallet and the clamp will release. Took me forever to figure that out. Also, put some carbon paste on the extensions and stem to help them from slipping.

SkippiTT

by SkippiTT

So this week I got some parts in, updated the first post with some new weights.

The Fibre-Lyte chainring (1x11) got in, it's looking really nice, hopefully my legs are already strong enough to get it going round and round! I had some pictures on my phone of it compared to a 53, but unfortunately my phone died on me.. When the build is finished and I got some spare time I will try to make the crank completely solid/aero.

I also got the shifters, although I will only be using one of them. As I will be training on a 10sp wheelset, I'll be using the front (friction) shifter as the shifter for the rear derailleur. For the extension which hasn't got a shifter a friend of me had a 3d-printed part made for me. Which I unfortunately didn't weigh before gluing it into the extension.

Instead of the iLinks I will be using standard cables for the rear brake and derailleur. Partially because the included cables weren't long enough, partially because installing the iLinks as a full run through the frame was a pain in the ass.

Also swapped out the extensions that came with the frame/handlebars with some Zipp Skibends, much more comfortable for me, although 50grams heavier than the originals.

Also got a Garmin Edge 200 on the cheap. Before, I raced only on feel, but from now I'll also be checking if the speed is staying somewhat constant and not to hard from the start.

Tomorrow I'll go and press in the BB Bearings and get a better cable cutter, so I can finish installing the cables for the brakes.

Somebody asked for pictures of some pre-fitting me on the bike. I'm 188cm and the frame is a size 54.
Front view:

Side view. Note, this is without the crank attached, so the shape of my back will probably change under full load. Will be doing some testing how it changes with different stack heights. Differences with my fit on the BMC are 2cm more saddle setback (7cm instead of 5cm) and less saddle to pad drop (15cm instead of 17cm), and I positioned my arms differently, getting a bit more reach, will test if it is more comfortable, as I remember I pull quite hard on the extensions when giving it full gas.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Sterk werk Skip! :)

Your fit on the bike looks good, if you can hold that at full throttle you should be fine. As your 1.88 and running a 54 I think I should go one size smaller. :)
Ride it like you stole it

Grill

by Grill

Your position is really heads down. Do you have the luxury of closed roads? If so, I'm jealous...

SkippiTT

by SkippiTT

Not closed roads, but little traffic on most of them, in most races I get maybe one or two cars at most, so certainly very nice! And as far as the heads down position, this isn't to bad, I'm actually looking down the "road" in the side view!

This weekend I've got my first timetrial (so it has to be finished by then), hopefully there are some people around taking pictures so I can look at my actual racing position.
Just got my cranks in, tomorrow I'll do the brakecables and will post some photos when that's done.

SkippiTT

by SkippiTT

So I got some of the last parts in.

Shimano PD-R540

Shimano RD-5800

The updated build list can be found in the opening post.

Unfortunately the guys at the workshop/miling machine at the uni are a bit busy, so the molds for the discwheel will be made two weeks from now, so a bit more patience..

During the coming summer holiday a friend arranged that we can use the fancy 3D-printers at his job, so we will be trying to build some parts with those. We're thinking of building parts of the handlebars like the hour record bike of Sir Wiggo (but wrapped in carbon for more stiffness). More suggestions are always welcome!

And like I said before I had my first race last weekend. Although it felt terrible and I'm clearly still lacking some speed and race-toughness, I still won my categorie so that's something.. Will be doing some testing with saddleposition the coming weeks, because it didn't feel like it used to (different muscles hurting more (or less) than they used to). Will also do some testing with pad width, maybe will put them a tiny bit wider.
Unfortunately no race pics, but I do have one of the finished bike with a borrowed discwheel.

Marin

by Marin

Congratulations on the win, and awesome bike!

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Gefeliciteerd!

Great bike!

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com