The Replacement

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse on a new frame, so after parting with a little money I had a replacement frame on the way. It should be a nice little upgrade.

I'm planning to make the switch to 11 Speed, most of my wheels are compatible and if I want to hang new components of it I don't really have a choice anymore. This is a timely incentive to consolidate the shed so I'm a aiming to have a set of everyday hoops and a deeper set to show off on a Sunday and for race day. I saw a set of Xentis Squad 7.5 for a ridiculous price brand new and liked the idea of being able to run standard pads. They have the same width as my everyday wheels so would make changeovers a breeze. I wasn't too concerned with them being clinchers are descents where I live don't get much above the 5min in length mark.

Took delivery of these beauties last week.

Still sorting out the exact build for it, it's looking like it will be an Ultegra Di2 gearset, Ee brakes, Rotor 3D cranks with Power2Max as the main points. I have thrown some finishing kit on I had lying around to get an idea but it's not really doing it for me. Will keep brainstorming on that front.

We have recently moved and still haven't found my scales, weights to come if I can unpack some more boxes.

micky

by micky

Im not a fan of silver (no color) brakes but those looks fantastic on the frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks, I wasn't sure how they would look on the frame. Not usually a fan of silver brakes either but wanted something a little different and it matches the headtube badge really well. I am toying with the idea of running silver brake cable, something like the iLinks although I am unsure if the shiny silver of the iLink will match the slightly dull brushed finish of the Ee's. Not much else out there really so might have to go with it and see.

kgt

by kgt

That's a serious machine!

I agree that these brakes match the headtube badge really well but I still believe all black/carbon brakes would look better overall. Another detail you might consider is the red on the stem and bars. These logos stand out too much IMHO.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

One the most incredible bikes I've ridden.

https://instagram.com/p/3gHBjOClIZ/?tak ... inea_pedis

Enjoy it.

I was just helping the Aussie distributor with marketing, so alas didn't own it.

drchull

by drchull

I have the same brakes on black and white Scott foil and looks good. Black would be too dark here I think and I just don't like white components.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

kgt - finishing kit was stuff I had in the shed so not the final items. If I do run the stem and bars I would remove the logos for sure, just not 100% sold on the 35mm stuff and don't know if I can be bothered trying to sort a computer mount for it. I got it cheap second hand and haven't ridden with it yet, doesn't feel as stiff as I was hoping it would be.

Tinea - I'm just north of where you are so you're welcome to go down memory lane with it if you're in the area.

Pulled the trigger on silver iLinks so will have to live with the outcome now.

drchull

by drchull

I have the silver Bungarus ones on similar setup above, looks good. Also have Chrome Mavic pedals to add to the chrominess of the whole thing.

Mine started as a completely different project and was going for a lot of chrome and polished aluminum panels but the frame builder was being a pain in the ass and got a team deal on Scott foil but already had all the stuff. Looks good though.

I am running a Zipp front end though. I thing aero frames deserve aero drop bars.

Make sure you really think about how you are going to run the segmented housing and if you are using adjusters, barrel adjusters need a bit of thought when using segmented housing. Internal routing in handlebars and segmented housing can be a PIA, I usually just use heat shrink tubing over the initial segment that goes in the bars, obviously pre load the housing before shrinking tubing.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Very nice frame. Can't wait to see the finished product. :)
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

AZR3

by AZR3

Any updates? I'm particularly interested in how well the Xentis wheels brake. I ordered a pair of their Squad 2.5 but haven't received them yet and due to some broken bones and torn muscles, won't be able to ride for a while, so was hoping for some input from someone that owns some Xentis wheels.

mrgray

by mrgray

hard to believe how great those xentis wheels look. whole bike looks great but those wheels!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

gilco

by gilco

nice build

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks for the replies guys - it's still in much the same condition due to our winter conditions and having time for the build to progress slowly. Haven't used the wheels yet so unfortunately can't comment on the braking just yet.

I have a Ritchey Superlogic carbon stem coming, Pro Vibe 7s bars and Cobb 5mm headset cover. Once they arrive the build will start. Still tossing up between Thomson Masterpiece post or 3T Ionic Ltd.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

big fan of storck. that is a beauty.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Progress is slow, but I'm happy to plod along and make sure everything is how I want it. The biggest issue has been deciding on a BB, the 30mm spindle in a BB86 frame has had me wanting a 'screw in' type BB which has proven hard to source. I have a Legit BB on the way, creak free guaranteed!

Build plan has changed slightly, finally decided on the following as the finishing kit.

120mm Pro Vibe Sprint, ran one on another bike and loved the solid feel and this matches the bars and the lines of the bike way better than the Ritchey. An Easton EC70 post, cheap, light and a little more streamlined than the EC90 in the clamp area. Fizik Kurve is very comfy, but also have a Selle Italia Concor to experiment with.

Once the BB arrives the build can begin!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com