Sub-1000g Wheel Recommendation (LW, RZR or Custom)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

So, I'm looking to get a new wheelset. They'll be used as a primary set for training and racing with the Reynolds Thirty Twos becoming my backup set.

I think I want the RZR's since they're supposed to have a very sublime ride quality as well as a feathery weight but I'm concerned they're going to exhibit the one behavior of the Thirty Twos that I don't like: noticeable flex under low speed out of saddle efforts. I don't think I can say I've noticed it at any other point.

For the past year I've used the Thirty Twos over the 46's because they were noticeably more comfortable, lighter and didn't catch wind.

Will the RZR's be worse under slow out of saddle efforts? If I go the Lightweight route, are they going to ride stiffer like my 46's (and harsher)? Is there going to be a better compromise with a custom build?

kgt

by kgt

IME LWs are very stiff and 'comfortable' (not harsh) at the same time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would seriously write Reynolds and ask this question!
They would absolutely answer you. I would also buy RZR over Lightweight. But truely buy none of them.
How about Ax Lightness Stream 38 with tune hubs (RZR uses an older cheaper tune hub than that in the Ax wheels)?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been looking into the Obermayers, and they seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking. They're supposed to be more comfortable than the LW Standards and even the Ventoux. From what I've read, the Ventoux's seem to have a lot of mixed reviews, including Madcow saying that they felt dead.

Has anyone ridden both the RZR's and Obermayers? Feedback?

kgt

by kgt

IME Ventoux III wheels are fine. Stiff, light, responsive, comfortable and not dead at all. Very lively.
Obermayers are amazing wheels of course. Less stiff than Standards but lighter and slightly more comfortable. If you are a light rider go for 'em.

RyanH

by RyanH

Thanks kgt.

If that's the case, I'd prefer the Ventoux (or Gipfelsturms) over the Obermayers since I prefer how low profile wheels handle in the wind.

My hope is that the Ventoux/Gipfelsturms will be a step up in stiffness from the Reynolds Thirty Twos. That should be correct, right?

kgt

by kgt

Gipfelsturm (Ventoux III) is excelent in crosswinds. Have not tried Reynolds 32 but you may check some comparative stiffness test numbers here:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-53429649.html

lannes

by lannes

I've got the RZR's I don't feel any lack of stiffness in the rear. The acceleration is phenomenal.
While on a group ride someone dropped a full bottle into my front wheel removing 4 of the carbon spokes completely, the rim is so stiff I was able to ride home on the remaining 12 spokes. One interesting point is that the spokes are not under tension and can deflect up to 12cm before breaking. It's one of the few wheels with carbon spokes that can be replaced.

As you can see with the rousartisanales article, stiffness in not a problem unless you exceed the weight limit and then it is only in the rear where you might notice it a bit.

RyanH

by RyanH

I found a good deal on a new pair of 2015 RZRs so I snatched those up. I'll report back once I get some time with them. Probably not for a few weeks since I'll be out of town shortly.

Trying to figure out if I want to pay the $750 for RAP or not. A crash replacement outside of RAP is $1500 per wheel. I'll be racing on them so...

Grill

by Grill

Nice one. I had a set of RZR 46 Teams and I race on a RZR 92 front. Amazing wheels. I paid the crash protection on my Autobahn, so would probably pay it on those, especially if racing. If you're insured otherwise it may not be an issue.

RM27

by RM27

If by chance you don't like the RZR I have another suggestion for the list.

I've owned LW, Meilenstein and Gipfelsturm. The Meilenstein were better for me, stiff and yet comfortable. They were decent in wind and climbed very well. The Gipfelsturm were the least favorite wheels I've owned and I've owned several wheel sets... too many... I think I had higher expectations for the Gipfelsturm's.

Right now I have Corima MCC Viva S and I can honestly say they are my favorite all around wheels. Beyond light, stiff and extremely comfortable. Wind seems to have no affect and they spin up better than anything I own. I also have Bora 35 Tubulars (soon to be for sale) that are very good but no where near the comfort of the Corima. I would say add those to your list of possibilities and you won't be disappointed. The Meilenstein won't disappoint either. Can't help on the Obermayer as I've never had the opportunity to try them.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

How about extralite cyxberhub straightpulls laced to enve 1.45 tubs. Around 980g astir enough for me at 85kgs and a dam sight cheaper than LWs and RzRs?

danbjpa

by danbjpa

@RM27

Just curiosity... could you tell why do you will sell Bora 35?
they're one or ultra?

thanks!

RM27

by RM27

I know this will sound crazy but I find the ride to be on the harsh side. Every other review I've read people praise the ride quality. I can say from a performance view they are some of the best I've owned. They spin up fast are light and are almost impervious to wind. Braking is also very good for carbon. The second reason for selling them is I want to have one bike set up with clinchers so I am going to try the Racing Zero Carbon. Mine are the Bora 1.

The Corima's (MCC Viva S Tubs) I'm currently riding do all of the above like the Bora 35 but have an unbelievable level of comfort.

RyanH

by RyanH

Well, I took the RZRs for a first ride today and I must say they are smooth! It was only a commute of 16 mi each way, so I don't have a full opinion of them, but their ability to smooth out cracked roads is amazing. They're at least on par with my Enve 25's for comfort (which I found very comfortable but also really flexy). Also, I don't know what it is, but they felt really fast. I never really felt that with a wheelset but these feel fast even if they may not be any faster than my 46's. Lastly, they look gorgeous in person, the craftsmanship is top notch.

Actual weight was 980g and skewers came in at 44g. Braking is phenomenal with the Ctg track. Freehub is quite possibly one of the loudest I've heard (at least as loud as Tune), which makes it hilarious to walk down a work hallway with as everyone within 100 feet turn around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com