IRD Balck Lightning Cassete and Chain for Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

Has anyone tried this combo, does the Teflon coating work? How long did it last. What was the shifting performance like compared to Record. I'm thinking or running this with '04 Record with Storck cranks and FRM all black chainrings. It should look good and be light but how will it work?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

I found neither of them worked well. The chain in any case is heavier than a Record Ultra, and the cassettes just didn't seem to shift well. Also there are lighter cassettes available for 10s systems.
Ride lightly!

morrisond

by morrisond

What works well in your experience? Any thoughts on FRM Chain Rings?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

morrisond wrote:What works well in your experience? Any thoughts on FRM Chain Rings?

I like the Campy Ultra10 chain, shifts nicely and is one of the lightest 10s chains.

I think the Zerolite cassettes shift very well and are very light. Guaranteed to last at least 1,500m which is 50% better than what AC claim for their (heavier) cassettes. I don't have many miles on them though.

FRM chainrings work well and are some of the lightest, that can translate into a little faster wear I've heard though, but I have not experienced that myself, still going good a year later on one bike with them.
Ride lightly!

cadence90

by cadence90

So, is the opinion that a Campy Ultra chain is best on Campy drive train?
I had heard that both the IRD Black Lightning and the Wippermann Stainless chain are excellent, durable chains, any other opinions out there?
Anyone running IRD or Wippermann on Campy cassettes?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

cadence90 wrote:So, is the opinion that a Campy Ultra chain is best on Campy drive train?
I had heard that both the IRD Black Lightning and the Wippermann Stainless chain are excellent, durable chains, any other opinions out there?
Anyone running IRD or Wippermann on Campy cassettes?

With the Ultra10 chain being one of the lightest, why use anything else? Well, maybe a Wippermann Ti, us being WW's :twisted:

Personally I've found the Campy chain to be the quietest and smoothest shifting of all the 10s chains, I use mine with a Wippermann link though so I can remove it for cleaning. I tried the normal and SS Wippermann chains, but had no advantages and extra noise, so I am wearing them out on my training bike. I won't buy more, but stick with Campy in future.
Ride lightly!

Scapin/Dean

by Scapin/Dean

I ran my Campy Record 10-speed chain until it started skipping at ~2,500 miles. I am not anal about cleaning, but I do give it decent maintenance and keep it well lubed. I have ~4,500 on my Connex stainless 10-speed chain and it is not worn out, but is close. However, the chainring in which I did 90% of my riding is worn. I am sticking with the Wipperman and have just ordered their new hole-pin model. If it lasts twice as long as the Record, as did the last one, it is worth the additional 50% in cost. And I'll live with the extra 15g of weight for the additional 2,500 miles. I found absolutely no difference in either shifting or noise with the two chains. Both are excellent.
Just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.
Those who ignore histroy are doomed to repeat it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mises

by mises

I just switched from wipperman to the new ultra 10 chain and I like the record chain much better. Quieter and more forgiving to minor adjustment errors. Works well with the connex link too - at least if you put it on the right direction.