American Classics CR350.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

I've just got hold of an American Classic CR350 rim and also their Ultra light rear hub,I want to build up a light a wheel as possible and wonder if it's safe to build the non driveside radial?I wanted to use CX-Ray spokes,but maybe I need a heavier gauge to build radial?The reason I ask is that standard build CR350's are 3x both sides,does AM do this for a reason,or are they just playing safe?I do use a Ritchey OCR Pro rim with the AM rear hub built 2x both sides with revolution spokes and that's been ok.I weigh 160 pounds,any recomendations on build would be greatly appreciated.
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jim

by jim

ac is playing it safe, and i recommend you do so too. radial drive side in my opinion is a waste of time. sure, it looks nice, but the build is not as strong as 3x both sides. with cx-rays on 3x both sides, that will make for a strong wheel. also remember that ac's 350 rim is lighter than the ritchey rim, so a heavier duty build, such as 3x would probably work better with it. if in doubt, i'd email them.

Cyco

by Cyco

Nothing wrong with radial non-drive side, as far as build strength goes, but it will void the hub warrenty. With the low spoke tension in the NDS this should not be to great a concern.

If your heavy, or on Paris-Robaix type roads, I'd go for 2x NDS if not then the radial NDS will be fine.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

cadence90

by cadence90

CAADHEAD wrote:I've just got hold of an American Classic CR350 rim and also their Ultra light rear hub,I want to build up a light a wheel as possible and wonder if it's safe to build the non driveside radial?I wanted to use CX-Ray spokes,but maybe I need a heavier gauge to build radial? [snip]

A lot of wheels use radial NDS lacing, and 2x or 3x on the DS. It would depend on your weight, riding style, rim dish, and hub flange strength...the 350 rim can take it, but I'm not sure the AC rear hub is designed for that. You should ask AC or a really good builder. Dave Thomas used to use AC hubs (now uses White) and still uses CX-Ray, maybe he can tell you, or contact Joe Young.
I weigh 185# and my SpeedDream AeroLite with CX-Rays, are completely fine.
http://www.speeddream.com/road.php
http://www.youngwheels.com/index.html
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri