cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I'm upgrading my drivetrain to record and was going to go with a non-campy crank because the campy carbon is overpriced (I think) and other co's. offer some better performers. My frame is english thread and I am looking for input on some crankarm/bb settups. The weight/performance tradeoff is harder for me to figure on these components than in other areas. I've bought other components (like wheels) that did not make a significant difference in the performance or weight loss of my bikes, so please don't recomend some lower performer. The FSA pro is lighter than the team for instance. If I used the pro would the performance of my drivetrain be significantly increased or am I just spending money on new stuff to be cool in front of the guys? I heard that zipp was going to get back into making crankarms, is this true. Would they be the significant step up that I'm looking for? Who else is out there that I should be looking at? Thanks for your time, Popa

Retsam

by Retsam

Where did you get your information that the Pros are lighter than the Team Issues? I haven't found a weight comparison for these anywhere, and would be interested to know by how much they are different.

I recently replaced my Dura Ace cranks with a set of Team Issues and immediatly noticed that they are indeed more rigid. Unfortunately I weighed the new set in at only 15 grams lighter than the D-A but given the more substantial feel, I'm satisfied. I have heard one person comment from personal experience that the Pros are not quite as stiff as their newer cousin but you may still find them a good improvement over any alloy alternatives. Incidentally, the large splined spindle D-A BB is a smart design, a solid performer and not difficult to maintain in my experience. It is one of the lightest things going without resorting to fairly obscure and specialized options. I understand that one can interface the D-A BB and compatible crank with an otherwise Campy 10 drivetrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I'm not sure where I found the weight difference between the pro and team FSA cranks but I'm pretty sure the pro's are lighter and probably not as ridgid. I'm still looking for the cranks that are going to do it for me I guess. Is there a site where I can compare the stats between the different high end cranks out there?

Davefromaine

by Davefromaine

I moved my 8-speed Record componants to a new frame this summer and changed the crankset to the FSA Pro with an Ultegra bottom bracket. I just couldn't see spending the money for the carbon Record set. The FSA crank is noticably stiffer than my old Record set. I didn't weigh it, but I know the bottom bracket alone weighs about a ton less. I'd recommend the FSA to anyone.

Dave from Maine

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the recomendation. I'm still looking though. There should be a crank between the two. I'll bet there will be more choices in a little while. It seems the component companies will focus on a bike part and there will be an explosion in inovation and production. Maybe the crank/BB area is due.

artbrad

by artbrad

I just put a set of the FSA pro's on my tri bike and have loved them. You might check out the American Classic BB's awesome low maintenance, great performance and superlight weght.

francois_viviers@hotmail.

by francois_viviers@hotmail.

Hi Mate

Yes good combination to try out (a bit more expensive than FSA) is the Storck power arms you can get these at www.poshbikes.com speak to Andy, very friendly chap. I am running these with AM classic bb. The cranks are pretty good upgraded from FSA carbon pro to these and when I got them they seemd just to light to even try hammering, but are more than strong enough. They weight about 310 gramms per pair, only funny bit is that the width between your feet while clipped in inreases by just over 1cm ------- that is the distance in reality, I don't feel it, but something to think about. They also only come in 172.5 mm lenght

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks Francois, I'll take a look at their offerings. I appreciate the info, David

Desperado

by Desperado

The Team is lighter than the Pro. Under weight weenies listings, it shows 22 grams lighter, but I believe it is actually more. I'll check tonight and report.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks Desperado, It's funny how the weights are listed on some components and not on others right on the same page in a catalog. I think if a catalog is trying to sell alot of a certain product because they bought alot of them and the markup is high for them they are not going to list certain info on a product on the same page that would detract from it. So when you weigh the product and list it we can compare apples to apples. Thanks again, David

Desperado

by Desperado

I got a slightly greater difference 28 grams, but there has to be a certain amount of variation, better be lighter for about $150 more.

PK

by PK

seen M2racer Ti cranks 222g and pedals 100g, real light and damn ugly cranks. www.m2racer.com

Shaunus

by Shaunus

What about Tune cranks?? I think they're about 400gms w/o chainrings. I haven't heard any feedback from anyone, but I was thinking of getting these myself.

PK

by PK

Havent tried these but they look like they'd have too much flex in them. :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

The Tunes look very similar to Toplines and while they were great for light riders I could definatley feel the flex at 80kg+ (180mm cranks) but they are still going (now on my TT bike, so rarely used).