Synthe versus Evade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chiltonp

by chiltonp

Haven't seen these two compared. Anyone ridden with both? Also anyone have a source for some of the team-color Synthes I've seen? The stock color offerings are kinda drab.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I don't have any experience with the Evade, but I just purchased a Synthe and can tell you it is by far the most comfortable helmet I have every tried on. My last helmet was a Giro Ionos (destroyed in a crash) and the Synthe fits so much better. The inner plastic web that suspends the helmet above the head is extremely comfortable. My size large Black/Red weighs 271g with the straps shortened. The holes for putting sunglasses in is pretty neat too. My Oakley Radars are very snug to get in, but once there, they are locked in.

I haven't worn it on the road yet, so I can't give you any usage reviews. Hopefully Monday that will change!

chiltonp

by chiltonp

look forward for an update.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I love my new Synthe! My son is racing in one as well. Light, well-ventilated, and VERY comfortable. I can't speak for the Evade. In the past, Specialized helmets have not fit me well. I guess I have a Giro-shaped head.

cfr

by cfr

Pretty much echoing the other comments in that the synthe is a very comfortable helmet, however, be warned that the size large synthe's have a much larger profile than the mediums. Honestly, I'd look elsewhere if you need a size large, like me :? . I wonder if the European version has a smaller profile like the old prolite's?

NealH

by NealH

I have tried both. I still find the Evade a little more comfortable but, the Synthe is plenty comfortable enough. Its just a matter of preference. The Evade seems to provide slightly better coverage thus perhaps better safety, although this is purely speculation. There just seems to be a bit more helmet there with the Evade. The Synthe, like the Evade, leaves the forehead slightly off the helmet body which supposedly improves ventilation. All Specialized upper end helmets incorporate this feature. Now the Synthe does too. The Synthe seems to have more vents and thus is the better ventilated helmet which is important in the warmer months. But I don't think any data has been published to verify its better ventilated. So its merely speculation at this point. The aero properties are probably a wash between the two.

A medium Evade can adjust to a slightly wider (or bigger) head than the medium Synthe. So if a person is on the border with the Evade, they will need to size up for the Synthe.

In the end, both good helmets. And both suitably expensive.

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

I have the Synthe and love it but I have a small head.

IMO the Evade (and other Specialized helmets) look better on bigger heads.

rose61

by rose61

The size large synthe's have a much larger profile than the mediums.
:*RosE*:

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I've finally gotten a few rides in with the Synthe. It is very comfortable and very well ventilated. In the morning, I can clearly feel the airflow over my head and am usually cold. I think it's also quieter than the Ionos, but haven't done any side by side comparison. Overall I give it a big thumbs up!

aaric

by aaric

Had an Evade. It didn't survive the crash that broke my collarbone this winter. Bought a synthe to replace it. I wear a large in both helmets. I wasn't unhappy with the evade per se, just wanted to try something else.

The Synthe seems a bit cooler temperature wise. I believe there's more wind noise than the evade. I suspect the evade coming down closer behind the ear is responsible for that.

If I had to guess aerodynamically, I'd say the synthe is faster in the normal riding position than the evade, but maybe not quite as fast in a head low sprint position. (I may be wrong, having used an Aeon for a while between the two)

The synthe is a bit more stealth aero. I hadn't noticed how many were on the lunch ride I frequent until I bought one - the rear vents are pretty distinctive. I'd say the Synthe averages out to be close enough aero wise, is lighter weight, holds sunglasses better, and looks a bit less freakish. Both fit me pretty well.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

The only thing I dislike about my Synthe is the straps. For a flagship brain protector, they feel cheap, and don't lie flat on my face due to the way they come out of the helmet itself and the buckle arrangement.

My last helmet was a MET Estro and for a heavier and bulkier specimen and it had awesome comfortable kevlar vented straps, and a nicer buckle setup.

Make that 2 things I dislike about the Synthe: The price tag as well.

Otherwise it's really light and comfortable and looks un-freakish.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Got both.

The evade is very slightly faster on a flat course. the Synthe is better for climbing. both are very comfy, and the synthe is the cooler temperature wise.

in terms of crash protection, i'd say the evade would be better.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I've been riding the Evade for the past month. The helmet fits differently than the other Specialized helmets I've had (the past two generations of S-Works), it fits my Giro-shaped head better. The ventilation is pretty good on it, and I can feel air coming in through front on my forhead as well as through the side vents. My sunglasses fit a bit better with this helmet than my Prevail and my POC Octal as well.
My main gripe with the helmet, especially coming from the POC, is that although my sunglasses fit snugly in the vents when I take them off my face, they hit my head at a horribly uncomfortable angle so I don't do that.
All in all, a really nice helmet that I end up wearing more than my others, just forget about sunglasses storage.

phazon

by phazon

kkibbler wrote:The only thing I dislike about my Synthe is the straps. For a flagship brain protector, they feel cheap, and don't lie flat on my face due to the way they come out of the helmet itself and the buckle arrangement

Agreed. It's a really nice helmet in every other way. I bought both it and the Kask Protone (do not fit Specialized well, and don't like the Evade) to compare. Both rank in the top two helmets I've used, but I went with the Kask - it is very hard to fault, fantastically adjustable fit, great ventilation, subjectively feels and sounds fast, light, excellent glasses storage, and the overall quality and straps are a step up from any other helmet I've used.

Svetty

by Svetty

Philbar72 wrote:Got both.

The evade is very slightly faster on a flat course. the Synthe is better for climbing. both are very comfy, and the synthe is the cooler temperature wise.

in terms of crash protection, i'd say the evade would be better.

I'm impressed with your measuring - to actually be able to correct for all the variables involved and determine that the Evade is faster: Respect! :roll: :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com