Multivitamins

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spytech

by spytech

i was checking out a bunch of multi-vitamins and i came up with xtend life total balance, it has a batch number which is good, but it is also natural. they use beta carotine instead of retinol for vitamin A which is alot better. retinol can cause a weakening in your bones.

i am attaching the label i downloaded from their website. this product can get expensive, costing over $70 a month. i guess the question is, is it worth it, or should i just buy centrum for $10 and it will last me for 1 1/2 month? i dont know how the absorbtion is with the total balance, but you have to take 6 tabs a day, while you only need one from centrum.

i think its also worth mentioning, that the quality control of this company is pharmaceutical GMP compliant (new zealand has higer standards than the USA). which means usually whats on the label is inside the pills, maybe 20% of the products out there actually give you whats on the label. i have to find out how good the absorbation is, but if anyone has any information, please share.
Attachments
mens_label_new[1].jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Unless youre a dying old guy, i say 1 or 2 is enough. Well for example 1 tablet has 70mg of magnesium and if you take 6, youre getting 420mg of magnesium. Unless you know how much you can handle magnesium, its gonna be a diarhea explosion... Additionaly you probably need more vitamin c but you aint getting much even with 6 tablets you take...

I think its better to take a 1000mg vitamin c and a tablet of centrum.

spytech

by spytech

actually 6 tabs of the total balance gives you 70mg of magnesium. im just trying to justify the huge price difference, see if it's worth it - is their a difference. they say quality is better, but in reality will it make a difference? natural vs. synthetic vitamins.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Never mind didnt read it right... But i say its not worth it. If you have the money to burn do it, if you don't like me i say just take centrum and a 1000mg vitamin C.

I would guess its better to make your own formula with the stuff you need, just buy the stuff at from GNC and pop it in your mouth.

spytech

by spytech

i dont have the money to burn, if i did i would not ask if it was worth it. its like a guy who goes to the porsche dealer and he has ask how many miles does the car give per gallon - if you have to ask you cant afford it...lol

it looks like a high quality prodduct, but it is out of my budget, but if it was worth it and it made a difference, i would buy it - but now i think im gonna go with Centrum chewables...lol. thanks for the input.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

I have it on good authority that the best vitamins are the IM variety. The vitamins aren't denatured in the stomach wall but that does raise some ethical questions and makes your arse look like a swiss cheese. But for absolute performance, hard to beat.

spytech

by spytech

Marlboro Man wrote:I have it on good authority that the best vitamins are the IM variety. The vitamins aren't denatured in the stomach wall but that does raise some ethical questions and makes your arse look like a swiss cheese. But for absolute performance, hard to beat.

what do you mean by "IM variety" :?:

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

IM stands for intramuscular and is administered by injection. Totally legal but raises ethical questions for some. Have a look at Rough Ride for a more in-depth explanation.

spytech

by spytech

Rough Ride??? any links?

But i hate needles, how often do you have to take the injections, it would suck if it were everyday.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Rough Ride is a book by Paul Kimmage on his experiences of doping withing the pro peleton. Have a look at amazon. It's a good read anyways.

The most common injections are vitamin b12 and iron to combat fatigue. Injections are administered as and when they are needed, i.e. by monitoring the blood and reacting accordingly.

The problem arises when there's a placebo effect. People unable to face a start line without some sort of injection. (For an example, have a look at breaking the chain by Willy Voet where he claims Virenque thought a great time trial performance was down to a wonder drug whereas Voet maintains he only administered simple glucose!).

Interesting subject. But like you I hate needles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

Marlboro Man - thank you for the info, i guess my search for the best multivitamin is still on going.

i think needles is out of the question for me.