Buying my first pair of high-end bib shorts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I`m considering getting some `high-end` bibs for the upcoming season. I`m thinking either the Search & State S1-S bibs or some Assos (maybe the Cento S7). There are also Cafe du Cycliste Josephine bibs, but I'm not too familiar with that brand, are they any good?

I know a lot of people here tend to give good reviews of the Search & State brand. How do they hold up long term?

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm impressed by the Sportful bibs. My brother bought his second Total Comfort ones a few months ago.
Expensive. But.
Head and shoulders above what I experienced (Louis Garneau, Apogee, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi, Champion System).
Bodyfit Pro LTD or Total Comfort.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I used to have a Sportful jersey, but I found it fit narrow on the shoulders. I find most Italian brands seem to fit me too narrow (Castelli, Sidi, etc.).

I'm 188cm (6'2") and around 95kg (yeah, I know, winter weight gain). If I order the Search & State bibs I guess I'll get the XL, the largest size they have. Do the Search & State bibs have a more 'North American' style fit to them, or do they tend to fit tight? What about the Assos for a rider my size?

Super Brad

by Super Brad

The S&S gear is definitely not cut as 'Racy' as a lot of other brands.
The quality is absolutely brilliant, I have a number of jerseys and absolutely love them.
From friends who have the bibs and feeling them, it's a similar story.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Assos if they fit. They stay very OK after years of wearing and washing (10.000km/year, each pair of 2 washed once a week, 3 years and going strong)

mattr

by mattr

jspaceman wrote:What about the Assos for a rider my size?
Might be a bit hit and miss. I'm 15cm shorter and 15 kilos lighter and take a large in Assos!

LouisN

by LouisN

jspaceman wrote:I used to have a Sportful jersey, but I found it fit narrow on the shoulders. I find most Italian brands seem to fit me too narrow (Castelli, Sidi, etc.).

I'm 188cm (6'2") and around 95kg (yeah, I know, winter weight gain). If I order the Search & State bibs I guess I'll get the XL, the largest size they have. Do the Search & State bibs have a more 'North American' style fit to them, or do they tend to fit tight? What about the Assos for a rider my size?

IMHO it doesn't matter what size you are, cycling clothes are meant to fit just right. And all brands have their charts, not only european, but also asian brands are usually very small compared to US brands. Sportful has sizes up to XXXL.
My bro's above 200lbs right now (5'11'' - 86cm inseam). Used to race cat 1-2 when he was a youngster so he tried a lot of bibs in his cycling life. Like I wrote earlier he swears by Sporful, mostly for comfort and long 3-4 hrs + rides, not for the "tight" fit.

Louis :)

locktopus

by locktopus

I have a pair of the Assos S7.NeoPros

6'4" & 75 kg.

I'm a L. XL in the campionissimo.

wingguy

by wingguy

mattr wrote:
Might be a bit hit and miss. I'm 15cm shorter and 15 kilos lighter and take a large in Assos!

That's fine, L isn't even half way through Assos's size range. Still got XL, XLG and TIR to go :wink:

kode54

by kode54

wingguy wrote:
mattr wrote:

That's fine, L isn't even half way through Assos's size range. Still got XL, XLG and TIR to go :wink:

i normally wear Assos in medium...and that was in all S5. but when i tried the newest S7, like the Cento...i fit into a size small.

if you can, try before buying. i have a few Rapha bib shorts, but tend to wear the Assos shorts more often.

you can't go wrong with any of the higher end shorts. you definitely get what you pay for.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

uraqt

by uraqt

I don't think the Assos, pads are that great, I think you have to use Chamois Cream with them....

My current fav is castelli body paint, in the off season you can get them for 150 or lower... it's a thin pad... I am going to try Sportful Super Total Comfort Bib Shorts this weekend, thicker pad..

C

davidalone

by davidalone

in my opinion can't go wrong with castelli. great fit, materials, and cheaper than 'premier' brands like assos and rapha. they perform similarly well, too. sportful and castelli are made in the same factory, though.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Other than fit, another consideration when choosing bib shorts is the type of saddle, i.e., padded or bare. Those using "bare carbon" saddles are probably better off with dense-padded bibs. I like the Assos S5 and S7 pads.

IchDien

by IchDien

Castelli really do make a good pair of bibs, the Free Aero, Inferno and Bodypaint are all terrific.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geedawg

by geedawg

I think I may be the only person who doesn't prefer Assos bibs. Super high quality no doubt, but the pads just don't work for me. Castelli and Sportful are tops in my book, and Sportful is ridiculously well priced if ordering from some sites in Europe. If I splurge it will be for Rapha, whose Proteam line is good. However I still don't think that their stuff is as technical as the high end Castelli stuff...more of a luxury purchase for cache more than for actual performance and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk