LEW wheelset ???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jesper

by jesper

Hi

I'm looking on a LEW wheelset, total price 600 us dollars ........

To expensive.........??

Good or bad.......??

I'm not sure, but I believe that it was LEW who was overtaken by Reynolds and they make very good wheels, so...!!?? :?

Thanks
Jesper

tobias

by tobias

hi jesper,

i´ve seen one at ebay.
cheers

tobias.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=58098[/url]
nothing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jesper

by jesper

Hi Tobias

They seem to be fine..??

But does any one have any experience with this wheelset.

I'm 182 cm an weighs 75 kilos.......am I to heavy for these wheels..... :wink:

I have a pair of HED Alps, but I would also like a light pair of wheels.....

Jesper

tobias

by tobias

jesper wrote:
They seem to be fine..??

sorry...i´ve never ridden them...

jesper wrote:I'm 182 cm an weighs 75 kilos.......am I to heavy for these wheels..... :wink:

that´s pretty much the same as me :)

your alps are a bit weighty because of the rims (i guess you´re riding the tubular 450gr, aren´t you?).

light and cheap wheels are corima rims / tune hubs / cx ray spokes like here:
link
this wheelset is appr. 1270gr/800€ tubular.

regards to denmark -btw. where do you live there??

tobias.[/url]

[edited by Frankie - B due to long link]
nothing.

jesper

by jesper

Yes I ride the tubular version !!

Earlier I have asked for a tune up of these wheels, changing the spokes to CX-ray, but I have'nt measured the spokes yet. By chance does anyone know the exact lenght of them....??

Anyhow I think I'll stick to the changing of the spokes, buing a new set of wheels and my girlfriend will kill me :?

To Tobias, I live in Aarhus, the "capital of Jutland" as we say, maybee you have heard of it ?

Jesper

tobias

by tobias

jesper wrote:Yes I ride the tubular version !!

Earlier I have asked for a tune up of these wheels, changing the spokes to CX-ray, but I have'nt measured the spokes yet. By chance does anyone know the exact lenght of them....??

Anyhow I think I'll stick to the changing of the spokes, buing a new set of wheels and my girlfriend will kill me :?

Jesper

the easiest way will be to contact hed via mail.

have you ever thought of changing the hubs?
the braxxo am classic is quiet cheap (EUR 29,-) and dead light 64gr...but it depends on the amount of your spokes (only av in 32...so 16 will work.).
the other choice could be tune...like you might know:D

jesper wrote:To Tobias, I live in Aarhus, the "capital of Jutland" as we say, maybee you have heard of it ?
Jesper

sure! i used (and will work again in march :D) in copenhagen...i really like it there! :D

tobias.
nothing.

jesper

by jesper

Actually I think the Sonic hubs are very good. I've had a pair of Mavic wheels with HÜGI 240 hubs, and the were good, and the Sonic ride just as well, so I'll stick to them.

You know I want it to be light, but they also have to have the strenght to be used often.

What kind of bike do you ride Tobias ??

I'm riding a Specialized S-works (World champion edition) with Dura Ace, FSA crankset, FRM stem, 3TT 199 handlebar, Ambrosio aero seatpost and Fizik saddle (world champion edition) and HED Alps. I think it weighs about 7,8 kilos......but I'm not sure. A friend of mine has the same model, but it's a really light weigt bike, only 6,5 kilos......thats nice :)

Nice town Copenhagen, I lived there for 6 months some years ago, but I'm glad to be back in Aarhus :)

tobias

by tobias

hi jesper,

really nice AND RARE one.
i´m also into specialized...but into some kind of retro.
i´ve got 3 of them. an everyday training allez comp festina/fsa/mavic 32spokes - nothing special.
the comp one is an s-works festina 2001 with hed3/bar end shifters-i´m doing duathlon...this is really fast**
the one i´m actually building is the weight weenie, 2002 s works sl frame (1200gr), time millenium x-stiff full carbon fork, fsa superlieght cranks, mavic mektronic (i know... :roll:...but i like it), a lot of light stuff, but i´m still looking for wheels...
hopefully it´ll be finished soon..summer is coming :lol:
i´ll post some pics when it´s finished...should be around 6.2kilo...we´ll see.
hilsen

tobias.
nothing.

jesper

by jesper

If I had the money I would also like to build a real weight weenie, but sadly that is not possible :(

But I'm aiming for a TT-bike. I'm riding on a team (team Specialized), and it would be nice to have a bike specially made for that only, but money.......always the problem. But I'm saving up for it....

Sounds like some very fine bikes you've got there. A real Specialized fan :D

hilsen
Jesper

tobias

by tobias

...yeah, but that really happened by accident. i rode a 26" quintana roo,
but when i came to copenhagen at the end of 01, there had been a original tdf festina tt-bike in a bike store (the casero one i think??) i had to pass by every day...
bit by bit i really felt in love with it-and at the end of my job i tried to buy it, but the owner (specialized) did not want to sell it despite of 25.000dkr.
(because it´s an original tdf-bike)...so i decided to build one by myself...
that´s where it all started. when i come back to cph, i´ll pass by that store and see if its still there-but i guess not...
nothing.

Rogue_M3

by Rogue_M3

I own a set of LEW composite wheels and a set of Reynolds Stratus DVs. The LEWs I have use the same rim as those in the auction. Mine are 16f/20r with White LTA hubs and double butted spokes. These wheels are and always have been rock solid wheels. I have never had any problems with them. In comparison they are 19mm rims where as the Reynolds are 21mm wide. That is about the only difference I can find both visually and performance wise.

I weigh 210 lbs and I have used both without a problem. They are very fast and light wheels. If the actual weight listed on the auction is correct, which I believe it to be, then that wheelset is exactly the same weight as a set of Reynolds Stratus wheels (1240 grams).

You will absolutely love these wheels. As I said, they are light, fast and aero and best of all, they simply don't flex at all.

I say go for it! :D

userdeleted

by userdeleted

eh I have to disagree a little. I have a set, they weight a tad more than 1200 grams, they were custom built for a 170 pound rider, and have 16/20 spokes. They are pretty flexy imo. But they are phenomenaly light and very aero. At $600, thats a steal - go for it. The only thing against them otherwise is that they're not UCI legal for road races (although you can still use them for time trials). Thats a big thing if you live in nation that uses UCI rules for wheels, ie any nation except the US.

jesper

by jesper

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that they are not aproved by the UCI ??? I live in Denmark and ride under these restrictions........but perhaps I just could relabel them, write Reynolds, they are aproved I believe :)

userdeleted

by userdeleted

eh hate to break up the party, but theyre not the same as the reynolds. The reynolds are sort of similar, but a big improvement on the Lews. The most obvious difference are that the lews are 17.5 mm wide, the reynolds 21mm. But there are other differences. I quote a Reynolds representative, "its a whole new rim". The reynolds is much stiffer, better braking, a little deeper....and yes, stronger. I hate that lew isnt approved too, but its the fact, sorry man.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andyrr

by andyrr

From reading this thread I looked on ebay and found these : (Lew Palermos )
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=58099

Seller has 6 sets for only $599 : seems a good deal but he's saying he only ships to the US only :(
No way I can afford over $1000 for a wheelset but $600 : maybe !
Are these much inferior to the current Reynolds version ?