Cycling in Sardinia, Greece or Turkey

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Cornel

by Cornel

I have a rather particular question: I was looking to book at holiday in the Mediterranean (to go sailing mainly) but I don’t really fancy two weeks without a bit of cycling each day (just about 40 miles or so) so was planning to take my road bike. My options are Sardinia, the Peloponnese (near Kalamata), Kos or Turkey (near Bodrum). Has anyone cycled in any of these places?

I was basically wondering if there is a bit of a cycling culture in any of these places – i.e. if drivers are used to the sight of a road cycle – or if I will get run over straight away :-) Having been to Greece, my guess would be that Sardinia is probably best?

Any advice / first hand experience would be much appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

There are a lot of great places to ride in Greece (southern Peloponnese is such a place) but do not expect any cycling culture.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Depending on where you ride in Sardinia, you will run into other roadies. No problem with cycling culture there!

I remember the Kalamata area from a vacation years ago (as a little boy) and recall fantastic vistas and little traffic (if out of full blown season). Tough climbs, though!

Cannot comment on Turkey.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Cornel

by Cornel

kgt wrote:There are a lot of great places to ride in Greece (southern Peloponnese is such a place) but do not expect any cycling culture.

I think by cycling culture I meant mainly that people respect you on the road rather than running into lots of fellow cyclists (though that's always nice oo of course). I guess the Peloponnese would be better than Kos then...

kgt

by kgt

It depends on what respect means to you. Drivers will not care too much, will not keep safe distance etc etc.
Kos maybe worst though.

BTW this is the area around Kalamata.

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hi all,
I will be off to Kalamata this week for a wedding - staying there for 3-4 days. I won't be taking my road bike with me, but apparently the hotel rents some nice MTBs. Is it worth going for a ride? Anyone familiar with the region?
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Hey Weenies! So I'm looking at Sardinia for an April break for a change up of the usual Mallorca/Tenerife. Looking on Strava, the area around Tortoli seems to have the best concentration of climbing? Any beta out there for other areas? Thanks!