front suspension fork for 700c wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobalou

by bobalou

I figured I'd ask this in the MTB area .. even though I'm looking for a front suspension fork for a road bike. I want to get one for long-distance touring and for randonneur riding. I'm a self confessed dumb-ass on this subject so hope you can help!

If you know of one with lockout that would fit a 700c wheel please let me know about it .. or tell me if maybe a MTB front shock can easily accomodate or be modified for a 700c? Your help appreciated! If it's light that's a plus of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

You need an 1" steerer tube?

White brothers can accomodate 700cc not sure if if has lock-out or not.

Pace might be able to help you.

Could be others but I'm not quite sure.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

yoko

by yoko

Rock Shox have a suspension fork build for road bikes. Size is for either 26" or 700c.

Model name is GPS Metro or GPS Europa. It's 50-60mm but is heavy. Weight is about 4.5-5 pounds.

As for the lock out I'm not sure if they still offer it. I saw the old Ruby model before with a lockout but I don't know if it was aftermarket.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

RST and SR Suntour offer relatively light 700C suspension forks.
If you're using road brake calipers calipers, the RST Corsa might be worth looking:
http://www.rst.com.tw/pr/front/rst/roadbike/corsa.htm

I've only tried RST steel/MCU spring fork so far, but they're not the best in terms of durability (the bushings need to be replaced often).

Manitou offers also 700C forks (Luxe series):
http://www.answerproducts.com/depts.asp ... familyid=7
Performance is top-notch from what I've heard.

Last not least there are two German manufacturers with interesting 700C forks:
the German:A GA-force roadster parallelogram fork and the Acros Crypt 28".
But beware: both are relatively expensive.

RockShox GPS forks are heavy and lack good suspension performance.

I'd recommend you either a Manitou Luxe or a SR Suntour NRX.
Image Image

bobalou

by bobalou

Thanks for the links, Florian. I like the looks of the magnesium RST-Corsa. Alas, I don't think it's offered for sale in the U.S. but I'll look further. I'd heard that Manitou offered a 700c and thanks for the link. I've been trying to find their website (manitou's), does it exist anywhere?

I am familiar with the Rockshox, Yoko but no lockout. Lockout's an important feature to me, especially if it's for long-distance riding, it's such a waste the bobbing when climbing.

Nikh, I checked the White bros. "big wheel" which they say takes a 29" wheel (that's 730 cm!). I wonder what kind of riding it's intended for? (remember, I'm a dumb-ass on this subject!). Anyway, it has a lockout and looks like the crapola to me.

nikh wrote:You need an 1" steerer tube?

I don't have the frame yet so can't say for sure, but most likely will be a 1-1/8". I'm looking at the Moots YYB Vamoots and cringing at spending the bucks for the frame.. but if I'm really going to get into Randonneur then I want to build the best bike for it. I'll use my regular ride for the upcoming 200k (early April) but would like to upgrade. Long hours on a bike, comfort and efficiency are the most important things.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Rock shox used to make a 700c front shock with the looks of the rst. I think it was called ruby.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Get a Winwood air fork for 29er (29" = 700c) supposedly its light and the whole fork is made out of carbon fiber.

image removed due to copyright issues - Florian

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Tim, a roadie doesn't use discs nor v's
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

bobalou

by bobalou

Tim the Pineapple wrote:Get a Winwood air fork for 29er (29" = 700c) supposedly its light and the whole fork is made out of carbon fiber.

Do you have a link for that, Tim? I've found what appears to be their website but no mention of a suspension fork:

:arrow: http://www.winwoodbikeparts.com/forks.html

willf03

by willf03

Why don't you buy a burly carbon road fork like woundup, and put a softride stem on your bike. It would save a bunch of weight and hassle. Only problem is I don't think that softride make the stems anymore, it would be something you'd have to look around for to find. Softride is located near me, so I could look into it if you are interested. There is always ebay too.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Frankie - B wrote:Tim, a roadie doesn't use discs nor v's

right but you can run canti's

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

youre right about that!

Only the looks aren't great! :(

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Weight is listed at 1750g and 1850g for air and coil forks respectively. Both have 85mm travel with lockout. Retail will be $395 and $345 respectively.

bobalou

by bobalou

willf03 wrote:Why don't you buy a burly carbon road fork like woundup, and put a softride stem on your bike. It would save a bunch of weight and hassle. Only problem is I don't think that softride make the stems anymore, it would be something you'd have to look around for to find. Softride is located near me, so I could look into it if you are interested. There is always ebay too.

Good suggestion, Will. I've heard of a softride stem.. and I have a search saved on eBay. You have a pic anywhere or link? Would it possibly have a lockout feature?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobalou

by bobalou

Tim the Pineapple wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:Tim, a roadie doesn't use discs nor v's

right but you can run canti's

I think I'd like to run cantilever brakes for long distance touring .. but would consider disc's I think they're starting to come into their own for touring or maybe even cross.