Stem Testing Round 1, 19 Stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'd like to see the Zipp stems, carbon and aluminium tested, plus the new Wert Straight Shooter, plus possibly the Kalloy Uno stems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

As usual, great review Madcow, especially given the time it must have taken to put this together. Don't take notice of the troll.

mjduct

by mjduct

Madcow,

Awesome work, I would love to see the 3T ARX LTD stem tested, especially in light of how well the TEAM level stem did in the test. I think this is probably the closest thing to an apples to apples test of aluminum vs. carbon. They have a fairly similar advertised weight and similar manufacturing philosophy and internal QC standards.

Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRM

by BRM

Few others to consider for testing:

3T ARX II models

Deda Superleggero
Deda ZERO100 SERVIZIO CORSE
Deda 35 Stem

FSA ENERGY STEM
FSA OS-99 CSI STEM

aerogurl

by aerogurl

Anyone have data (or opinions) about the relative stiffness of the various "carbon monoblock" sprinter stems? And how they might compare to a Thomson X4?

Pro Vibe Sprint / Track
Giant Contact SLR
Easton EC90 SL
Zipp SL Sprint
Ritchey Superlogic
any others I might have missed...

Rick

by Rick

I am really impressed with the quality of this test. Thanks!

But I can't get over the fact that my last stem switch was from the 3T ARX Team (one of the stiffest) to the Ritchey c260 (very mediocre in stiffness) and my subjective impression was that the Ritchey was noticeably stiffer. In fact I still have the #T on another of my bikes. Oh well. I am not one who worships stiffness anyway.

Over the past few years I have also ridden a Thomson and the Pro-Vibe. I never noticed they were unusually stiff. Maybe my subjective impressions of stiffness are illusory, caused by other factors. At any rate, I guess lack stem stiffness is not holding me back any :)

Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

What about Deda Superleggaro and super leggara kit? Generic unbranded stems could be tested too if fairwheel could be bothered sourcing them. it might be interesting but as the intial test shows carbon stems offer no advantage so testing more won't change that.