New Red crank info, must read! :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

SRAM has GREAT customer service. They should replace the crank free of charge.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

As I can't prove place of purchase (I think it was ebay) , I seem to be SOL.

Haven't given up though as Aus has some different rules, so will try.

Bought a Force 22 last night as I couldn't weight or afford a new Red 22

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

If you're cool with a bikeshop, then it should be fine. When I did a warranty replacement with my cassette, they did not even request for a receipt.

SunDog3478

by SunDog3478

First Post on this Forum. Joined based upon the info in this thread. All the info on pages 10 - 14 answered my questions about going with Exogram 10 speed cranks coupled with Praxis mid-compact rings when SRAM sent me an Exogram crank as a warranty replacement for the S950 I had recently installed.

Picked the bike up from the shop today. It looks great, shifts well - and in the spirit of this forum - it is lighter (by around 160 grams - if you can believe a wal-mart fish scale)

Thanks for the great information so far.

SunDog3478

by SunDog3478

The site would not let me post pix for my first post - so:

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I'm running the new SRAM Red cranks with Praxis rings and DA9000 drivetrain and it works like magic.
On my other bike I have old SRAM Red cranks with the Exogram chainrings and new SRAM Red groupset and shifting is fine, and the yaw derailleur works properly with this setup. Probably takes a bit more fine tuning, but this is WW and we all fiddle till it's perfect, don't we?
I have set them both up so that the pin is 180 degrees from the crank arm, and yes despite various previous posts this does work.
Theoretically this should keep shift timing perfect as intended, as the power or down stroke is merely swapped from left to right leg, and if your legs produce the same power, you should feel zero difference.
On my Parlee the Exogram cranks and Praxis rings save over 100g over using the standard DA 9000 crank as its a BB30 crank with no adapters.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I'm running the SRAM Red Exogram BB30 cranks on my Parlee with Praxis rings and DA9000 drivetrain and it works like magic.
On my other bike (Trek Madone) I have 2010 SRAM Red GXP cranks with the Exogram chainrings and new SRAM Red groupset and shifting is fine, and the yaw derailleur works properly with this setup. Probably takes a bit more fine tuning, but this is WW and we all fiddle till it's perfect, don't we?
I have set them both up so that the pin is 180 degrees from the crank arm, and yes despite various previous posts this does work out this way.

Theoretically this should keep shift timing perfect as intended by Praxis and SRAM, as the power or down stroke is merely swapped from left to right leg, and if your legs produce the same power, you should feel zero difference.

On my Parlee the Exogram cranks and Praxis rings save about 115g over using the standard DA 9000 crank as its a BB30 crank with no adapters and the Praxis rings are 20g lighter than the Exogram rings.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

JasperGr

by JasperGr

SunDog3478 wrote:The site would not let me post pix for my first post - so:

Does you feel any improvement between the exo rings and praxis? Nice bike BTW!

SunDog3478

by SunDog3478

JasperGr wrote:Does you feel any improvement between the exo rings and praxis? Nice bike BTW!

Thanks!

I'm a middle aged guy who's only been riding for a little over a year - I do a hundred miles in a good week and I ride mostly E.TN rollers at around 18ish - so take my input for what it is worth:

From the S950/Praxis to the Red Exogram/Praxis - I've noticed a slight improvement in feel (from an already good feeling set up) - and no perceptable difference in performance. The Exogram set looks way better, IMO - especially on the NDS.

I only had the S950 set for a short while - and it was part of a frame warranty replacement build where I went from an Orbea Onix with an Apex GXP crankset and old Red big ring to the Orca BB30/S950/Praxis set up. That was a huge leap in feel and a noticeable shift in performance.