Super Record 4 arm chainset initial views...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

Just got my hands on the new 4 arm Super Record chainsets and fitted them to the bikes, so I thought it was a good excuse to post an update. Monsoon weather in Singapore means no riding outside for the moment, so a few quick snaps before an hour on the turbo trainer!

I went for my first ride last night, and first impressions are good. Firstly, let’s get over the looks. They do look much better in the flesh, and very much like the Mavic ‘starfish’ from back in the day looking down on them when seated on the bike. I happen to prefer them. On a modern bike, they look great. However, they might look a bit ‘brutal’ on a thin tubed steel frame.

Stiffness? Hmm, a real game of 2 halves. At the point at which you apply the most power (namely on the down stroke on each side), they are really stiff. However, compared to the 5 arm version, you can noticeably flex the outer chainring with your fingers at the widest gap in between the down strokes. On the bike, I haven’t noticed it, but in the workstand, it is quite disconcerting. Anyway, if the pros use them all season in 2015 with no amendments, I will be happy that they can take my meagre power output!

markyboy

by markyboy

Yes they sure do look better in the flesh,fitted my 52/36 but wont be using it yet so cant comment on stiffness.
at fist I did not like the look of them but they have grown on me and now I think they look smart.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

They do look sweet on that C59.

On the Moots, I'm torn. They modernize the frameset but visually with the disk brakes...um. Gotta look at it a hundred more times.

solarider

by solarider

I have discs on the road bike, CX bike and gravel bike and am a lifelong Campagnolo and titanium fan, so not much choice. They are definitely very 'Darth Vader', but I like them. For some reason, some bikes look good in photos and some don't. Mine never do, but just like the cranks look better in the flesh.

Markyboy, loving the Colnago (but get yourself the V2 internal battery!).

markyboy

by markyboy

yes I have been looking at it but I don't think my frame will take it,if you can advise that would be great.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. this is a reply. Thanks
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I would like these things more if there was no need to shell out £50 on tooling. The amount of fangled tooling you need to service Power-Ultra-Over Torque is mind bogglingly stupid, and this is why I no longer buy Campag cranksets.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

In those pics the chainset looks alright not pretty but good enough. It may grow on me in time.

tinozee

by tinozee

It's growing on me now. I like it on Italian bikes.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I don't think the spider transitions into the chainrings very well. The Shimano (and dare I say FSA K-Force) both join seamlessly at the spider/chainring, whereas this looks like the aesthetics were an afterthought.

Geoff

by Geoff

Have to say, I agree completely. It looks better on a 'real' bike...

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

Valbrona, the only tool you need for Ultra-Torque is a 10mm hex bit and a torque wrench. What else were you referring to? I know PT and OT have proprietary tools but that's what is so great about UT! Am I missing something?

mattr

by mattr

So, just a flat machined plate for the chain rings, I've seen that the only reason shimano were able to go to 4 arm was thanks to their hollow (and incredibly stiff) chain rings.
Without that, the rings wouldn't be stiff enough to meet shifting targets. Especially with Di2.
Wonder how these 4 arm rings cope with electronic shifting.

KB

by KB

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder: I liked it's soon as I saw it and will have to have one, but de-stickered.

solarider

by solarider

First decent ride today.

Shimano 1 : Campagnolo 0

I really cannot see the point of the new design. No lighter, no stiffer (in fact, worse but more of that below) and uglier.

Having just bought 3 of these, I think I have the right to comment.

According to the recent crank test from Fairwheel the cranks themselves are equally (but no more) stiff vs the current design, but in places the chainrings are really, perceivably, noticeably flexible. No mistake about it, I can get these rings to flex.

Mattr, you are right. The Shimano design works because of the inherently stiff hollow rings. But there is just too much unsupported chainring on the new Campagnolo design for the manufacturing process used for the rings. The strength of the EPS shift doesn't seem to matter. It's all about flex when powering on the pedals.

Sorry Campagnolo, but this is a complete and utter fail in my book, and that speaking as a diehard, long time Campagnolo fan.

Very disappointing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

:( are they really that bad?
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2