Update: Baum + Campy '15

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

An update on my faithful Baum – now almost 4 years young and going from strength to strength. My original component selections have slowly been swapped out to suit my fit, riding style and taste – culminating today with the new Campy 2015 SR groupset. Only the frameset and headset remain of the original.

Despite now having six roadbikes my Baum still gets the majority of riding time. I never tire of riding it or looking at it. It is now a solid functional build able to get me up and down the local hills in all weather. We moved to a hilltop home – last 1.5km home is pretty brutal. Accordingly the gearing is now more mountain goat variety and the stopping power of the Mavic Xalith wheels is highly valued.

Current weight is approx. 6.9kg

Initial impressions of the new Campy are that it is obviously different both to use and in looks. If you have a Titanium bike this groupset’s colour is a perfect match to the warm metallic Ti colour – it works really well on the Baum. Very early to make a call on how well it works functionally – not what I was expecting - front shifting is the immediately noticeable change.

A big thanks to Glen at Trak Cycles for making the groupset happen so quickly - overcoming seeming best efforts of the supply chain to stop it from happening anytime soon.

(verbiage edited)
Last edited by dadoflam08 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

ross

by ross

Looks great :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

You certainly have a good eye for how a bike should look. Another success. Well done, I like it a lot.

santosjep

by santosjep

What a beauty! Classic lines. Even without the verbiage (well written background) the photo of the bike show's that it was well thought. It is truly a sight. I bet it rides as good as it looks.

Joe

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Nice classic look. I'm not 100% sure i like the new Campy cranks tbh, think they'll take a while to grow on me
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

kgt

by kgt

Very classy bike (still don't like the new crankset...)

nspace

by nspace

Sill warming up to new Campagnolo cranks as well, but nonetheless, this is an amazing looking bike.

+1 on classic graphics and not the ugly Baum GTR motif!

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Way rad, wanting 2015 campy even more now!

lobular

by lobular

Nice bike....as a prospective 15' Campy purchaser.....care to elaborate more on the 'not what I was expecting' part?

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I have only ridden around the carpark but shifting feels different - bit stiffer maybe. First thing you notice is double click required to downshift from big chainring to small chainring - in effect making this shift slower - be interested to see how it feels on the road proper.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Looks great, and FWIW I love the look of the new crankset. Did you get the standard FD or the S2 FD?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The thing I like about this Baum besides the new components is the paint job, it doesn't have the common GT stripes etc...just white with decals...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ironically that's the old school scheme...

And it's all paint. No decals.

nspace

by nspace

I never liked the GTR paint schemes. The Ford GT40 IMO is a super ugly car with a klunky paint pin-stripe paint job and type treatment. I just don't associate that aesthetic with Baum for whatever reason. It's come the the point where it seems like the majority of Baum's all sort of look the same with the over the top GTR motif so it is very refreshing to see a bike with the traditional livery!

IMO Baums like this, and Steves (http://hmmm.stevencaddy.com/image/96872890731) aesthetically blow the cheesy GTR stuff out of the water with restraint and class!

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I really like plain and simple - I generally remove most logos and graphics given the choice. In my view a frame doesn't need the manufacturer's name repeated again and again and again.
The paint job is based on the old school graphics but I negotiated with Darren to go with a paired back version. The usual Baum logos on the seat tube were deleted and replaced by Darren's signature. The Baum logos on the fork were placed on the inside of the blades. I also wanted to reduce the size of the 'Corretto' on the top tube also but as TP indicated the graphics are all painted, not decals, and couldn't be managed any smaller (I suspect there was a little style control being exerted by Darren on that one as well)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com