Fairwheel Crank Test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Fairwheel have published their latest crank test . As usual it provides some interesting reading
http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and ... k-testing/
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Starter

by Starter

Hollowgram wins. End.
Oof.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Wow Praxis. Impressive! (rhymes!)

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Digging the new site design.

Rick

by Rick

Nice comparison! Thanks!

mythical

by mythical

I agree, great comparison. One caveat: why was the BB30 version of the Sram RED 22 Exogram not tested? Since it has a bigger axle and a lower weight, its results should be even more favorable, especially STW-wise.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

F45

by F45

They posted in the comments that they are doing a bb30 test in the future.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

mythical wrote:I agree, great comparison. One caveat: why was the BB30 version of the Sram RED 22 Exogram not tested? Since it has a bigger axle and a lower weight, its results should be even more favorable, especially STW-wise.

For the first round of testing we targeted cranks with nearly universal fit, we wanted to test the cranks that would fit almost any bike, bsa, italian, bb30, pf30, bb86 etc... The Sram crank fits only bb30/pf30, the same as the SISL, which we felt wasn't quite a level playing field. We'll be doing a test of bb30/pf30 specific cranks soon.

micky

by micky

Compliments to madcow for the great stuff as usual! :thumbup:

deek

by deek

madcow wrote:
mythical wrote:I agree, great comparison. One caveat: why was the BB30 version of the Sram RED 22 Exogram not tested? Since it has a bigger axle and a lower weight, its results should be even more favorable, especially STW-wise.

For the first round of testing we targeted cranks with nearly universal fit, we wanted to test the cranks that would fit almost any bike, bsa, italian, bb30, pf30, bb86 etc... The Sram crank fits only bb30/pf30, the same as the SISL, which we felt wasn't quite a level playing field. We'll be doing a test of bb30/pf30 specific cranks soon.

I look forward to the BB30 test. I have a BB30 frame, so it's not really fair to compare the SRAM GXP crank when I would use the BB30 version.

gospastic

by gospastic

Even assuming same stiffness, the Exogram BB30 S/W value would shoot up to around 2.1. It is a very good value crankset.

uraqt

by uraqt

Madcow, thanks for including the old school campy crank!!!!

ITTY

by ITTY

Nice review/comparison. Although as an engineer, I found the strain energy analysis a lot more interesting. Theoretically, almost all of the energy stored in the cranks will be returned to the drivetrain. The only time I think stiffness is actually a real benefit is for very hard efforts and sprinting, which happens a lot in road racing. However, I don't think stiffness is really a big deal for something like a time trial bike.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Fantastic work as usual madcow.

Hope to see the new S-works at some point thrown in there with those cannondales.

Either way I wish you guys were my local bike shop!
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Itsacarr, the S-Works crank should be very similar to the Lightning crank...IIRC, Specialized licenses the design from Lightning. That said, any differences would be really interesting, especially if they implied a different layup. The Hirth joints in both cranks should be similarly stiff, so I expect that wouldn't be a factor in any stiffness delta between the Lightning and S-Works cranks.

Cheers,

Jason