Upgrade to Campy Record on my Merckx Team SC Domo/Lotto or b

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steelman

by Steelman

Looking for some opinions of what would be the best approach. I have a 2002 Merckx Team SC Domo/Lotto that I've had since 2002, great bike with a super good fit. The Dura Ace 7700 on it needs to be replaced as the shifters are about toast and I also need a new drive train. One option is to put 2014 record on it. The other option is to just go ahead and get a new bike. The bike option I've been looking at is a Ridley Helium SL with similar geometry and Ultegra on it. Wanted your thought on which you would choose?

highdraw

by highdraw

I personally would keep the old bike with new Record versus new bike with Ultegra.
Any Campy Ultrashift (even 10 speed) >>>11s Ultegra any day of the week. ;)
A better solution is...strip 11s Ultegra off the Ridley and ebay it. Keep the Shimano 11s freehub + Ultegra cassette wheelset and install Record 11s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi
I,ve had 3 team SC and only sell them to riding buddys.
if you sell it and get a super light carbon thingy all black and send a shit ton of money after one year you,ll wish you had old blue back.
By the way if you ever see a 2007 Kodak SC team let me know that's the only one I have not found yet.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@Steelman,

Campy Record 11 all the way, especially if you have a Team SC that fits perfectly.
I have a couple of rides myself and the Team SC is one of my favourites.
Mine's a 2001 model but with 1 1/8in headtube and Campy Hiddenset.

Cheers

Edit:
This is my 2nd Team SC, I sold the first one ('02 model) back 2004 to "upgrade" to the Merckx MXM, and regretted it. Luck was on my side and coincidentally a good buddy of mine was letting go of his mint Team SC frameset and fork- my size, early this year.
The rest is history :mrgreen:

Last edited by maverick_1 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

+1, put campy on it and keep it. It's an iconic frameset.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Here's a picture of Richard Virenque's Team SC with ADA wheels, year 2002 Worlds@Zolder, Belgium.
Crazy saddle to handlebar drop!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The SC was the poster frame for Easton scandium - see here https://web.archive.org/web/20120512003247/http://www.eastoncycling.com/bike/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/RD-03-Scandium.pdf

Mine is 10-speed Record - just like in 2002. With a working Ergobrain computer too.

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Jeez so nice...Merckx have lost their way these days...

LionelB

by LionelB

maverick_1 wrote:Here's a picture of Richard Virenque's Team SC with ADA wheels, year 2002 Worlds@Zolder, Belgium.
Crazy saddle to handlebar drop!

Beauty !

Permon

by Permon

maverick_1 wrote:

Man! What a built! Makes me want to jump on the bike and go for a fast ride!

mattyNor

by mattyNor

@maverick_1 how did you get the decals off the lightweights? Absolutely gorgeous bike by the way :D

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@mattyNor,

Those are the black edition LW Obermayer. If you look carefully, the Lightweight wordings are there painted in black (not decals) on the rim surface.

Built thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123085

Cheers

Steelman

by Steelman

Phase one of the upgrade is complete. Thanks for everyones input on keeping the Merckx and upgrading with Record 11 group, could not be happier. Next on the upgrade list is a new cockpit, lighter all black tubeless wheel set and pedals. Plan to use the Zondas for training. Open for suggestions of what would look and perform best. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Looking good on this bike.

Please allow me for one point of critique, your bars. If you are comfortable on them please keep them this way, but I found myself thinking if you could reach your brakes easily when in the drops. Next time when you get a new bar tape done, please considder rotating the bars downward a bit and moving the levers up a bit. this will kill the "flat transition from bar to hoods", but that was a trend in 2013 and turned out to be not that handy.

Cheers!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!