Light 29er custom race wheels

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nmrt

by nmrt

no doubt dt240 are the bomb. but i have i9 ubs with crest for the past 5 years. no issues at all.
i know you've settle on the 240s but i9's are more blingly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrisMTB

by chrisMTB

I'll be building some LB Xc rims with hope hubs. Can't wait to see how they turn out! I broke a rear Enve within 200 miles, and got rid of them after warranty

AndrewL

by AndrewL

I was thinking of getting a pair of Carbonal 29er XC rims. Have owners of Carbonal rims had success with Stans rim tape or Gorilla tape with these? I've noticed that some prefer Bontrager rim strips for LB rims at least but I would prefer to avoid them for weight reasons.
Andrew "Jersey" L

NONAME
Shop Owner

by NONAME

Recently I made a complete wheels for my friends , it's a hook-less !!!!

After first ride on it they say --the best wheels they had in 29"

Don't make for another rims , carbon rims hook-less system it's a futre, which is coming faster than you think.

This is my firm gallery
https://picasaweb.google.com/1104808309 ... 3349241538

and this is bike gallery my friends with wheels , I made.. 8.3 kg bike

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wthhbsq36v3b ... U8f5a?dl=0

trailgumby

by trailgumby

So the bead hookless 27mm wide rims have arrived, and I have hubs (Lefty, Hope Pro2 Evo) just need to order spokes, nipples, rim tape and valves, which I'll probably get from BikeHubStore or Prowheelbuilder.

I have two question regarding nipples:
  • I was wondering whether the Sapim Polyax nipples with their domed/bevelled face that seats against the inside of the rim were safe with carbon rims?
  • Brass or Alloy? Sapim Polyax are supposed to be made of 7075-T6, which they reckon is tougher than brass, and they say their anodisation makes them more corrosion resistant than nickel-plated brass

My experience of 7075-T6 from my R/C car racing days is that it certainly is tough but I'm just wondering about it in the context of using Stan's sealant.

Thanks for your help, you guys have been excellent.

Pheel

by Pheel

Trailgumby and about the rims weight?

Your rims came from lb or carbonal?

Tom-s

by Tom-s

I just had a wheel set build with the LB hookless light 29er rims with a very low 336g and 339g for the rims.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Mine came from LB. 347g and 373g. So some variation but within tolerance. The 347g one will go on the front as I tend to be a bit tough on rears - poor timing on lifting over square-edged obstacles.

I'm going t go with the Polyax nipples, just deciding on regular or hex-drive.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Mine came from LB. 347g and 373g. So some variation but within tolerance. The 347g one will go on the front as I tend to be a bit tough on rears - poor timing on lifting over square-edged obstacles.

I'm going t go with the Polyax nipples, just deciding on regular or hex-drive.

stuka666

by stuka666

Please share photos of your build and ride report.

Good luck with them :p

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Will do. :-)

vfb

by vfb

My LB hookless rims came in at 354 and 360 grams, build up with dt 240s hubs revo spokes and red alloy nippels the weight was 1440 grams (29er). Had roval control SL before but god a little tired of the front hub, so i sold them, and build these instead and got a little money out of it. Even tough my builder said that he could not make perfect spoke tension on these rims, then they are stiffer, lighter rims, wider, better hubs than my rovals was. I am very happy with them, and use them as everyday wheels since i don´t race that much anymore. They have been beaten up at dh tracks in norway on my specialized SJ FSR, going too long landing to flat on table tops, big drops and have smashed the rim against several rocks and roots. Landing sideways after jumps, really been punished. Had them trued a couple of weeks after they were build and that is it. i am very impressed with these things.
Nothing to complain about!
For now i am looking to build another set with 28 hole instead of 32 for my new XC FS bike, and if my calculations are right they can come in at around 1380 grams :-)
I ride for fun

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Been riding 28 spoke tubular rims on my MTB with sapim lasers. They work just fine. I see no reason why 28 spokes does not work well for lighter riders. I am 78kg by the way so not that light. If I uses AM hubs they would have weighed 1310g. I am also looking at the LB hookless rims with interest.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Got word from my local bike shop today that they are ready to pick up. It's going to be a long wait until the weekend lol.

A quick plug on the calculator says they should come in at about 1,450 without rotors, cassette, rim tape or valves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musanoadsaba

by musanoadsaba

vfb wrote: Even tough my builder said that he could not make perfect spoke tension on these rims, then they are stiffer, lighter rims, wider, better hubs than my rovals was.

I had the same experience. The tensions that LB recommend weren't possible. I think it has to do with the angle the spoke holes are drill at that doesn't allow a hight tension. All in all though, the wheels have been used for a whole year built with Sapim spokes, Tune King front and 240 rear and they have been excellent.
mur