2014 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FIJIGabe wrote:They make the smaller sizes in the WSD frame sizes, sorry for not specifying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah I guess if defers with models are well... for instance 6.2 Madone WSD smallest size is 47.. while you can get 44 in 4.x WSD.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You can also get a 44 in the Domane. I have a friend who got one for his girlfriend, but later realized that he couldn't fit anything larger than a 20oz bottle on the downtube, and a 12oz bottle on the seattube.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

if anyone is wondering what a frame weighs.(series six). mine is 2.03pounds in size 47.. I have a stripped hex nut on my front brakes.. so I have yet to weigh the fork by itself.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ok... fork by itself with 3.5 inch sticking out the top when in frame ( used so I don't know the original length) = 365g

Hoping to build this under 15.. shooting for 14.5ish. 6.2 WSD with 9070 Di2 and Aeolus3 D3 wheels

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Anyone has an idea of the weight of the frame for a 50cm Madone 7 with a regular paint job, preferably in a H2 fit?

rgrhon

by rgrhon

1) Madone Bontrager brakes don't have the power of the Dura-Ace. Get Dura Ace for sure, even 105's (on a different bike) with the same cables perform better than Bonty's brakes. What a waste of time and money! The ones on the Mad 5.9 I'm riding with Dura Ace handles scare the Sh** out of me! Almost rear ended a bus today! This is definitely NOT good on a high end bike!

2) Rear Brake location (either Bonty or Shim) gets dirty fast, requires more maintenance. PITA. Trek really f'd it up here. Bikeradar gave 3 stars just for the crappy brakes and tire rub on this bike! That's right, something's actually flexing at the stays enough for the tires to rub the brake pads! Make sure you ride it on an 18+ degree grade and you'll experience it yourself! Don't know how the pro's handle this unless its not a true production frame.

3) Poor routing of cable to rear brake position is draggy, too much bend where it exits the frame. Even ruins excellent Dura-Ace performance when dirty (all the time).

4) Domane is stiff enough and compliant enough, but the handling is a bit freaky. It's a cheap single point solution to making the whole frame flex compliant yet stiff. You can use less $$$$ carbon. In hard corners you feel the bump in the front but not in the back, so you don't have the handling because you lose the feel of the rear end. I thought it was sliding initially, then when it did slide I didn't feel it at first. Barely recovered control. Definitely NOT a crit bike. Maybe OK for flat, rough stages but to me it was scary in the mountains. To compare, ride the truly compliant yet stiff 2014 BMC team machine. It's just as compliant, handles well enough for crits, and is stiff. A more expensive but much better solution. Better tires might help a little, as might going to stiffer carbon wheels (aeolus), custom team frame (H1) and stiffer IsoSpeed bushings like on Fabian's bike (~$10k).

5) Currently waiting to ride the Emonda SLR8. At least the brakes are in the right place. Only considering this bike because my LBS is phenomenal, the price is $2k lower and the BMC dealer is not phenomenal. Also Red Team (now TREK Care) is great if you ride more than about 3k miles a year. I got my $250 back 10 fold on Red Team, and it paid for itself in chains alone. Only be sure your LBS is willing to do the paperwork for you or it won't pay off. So far reviews are cautiously positive, which I attribute to the modified Pro Madone Frame they're using (not KVF). Can't say enough positive words about the warranty combined with my LBS (Jax in Long beach CA)! I wouldn't consider Trek at all without it! I figure I saved $3k over 2 years in parts and repairs! Really want that 2014 BMC TeamMachine frame though...

nd2rc

by nd2rc

So does anyone know why Trek's website only show 7 series and 2.5? What happened to 6 series and so on?

Chader09

by Chader09

Trek is essentially replacing the Madone with the Emonda for 2015.

Many expect a redesign of the Madone for 2016 or 2017 modely year to a more dedicated, aero design.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. The middle of the road approach with the current Madone had a few compromises. Still enjoy riding my Madone.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've got a feeling (nothing concrete) that there are going to be a couple of updates to the Domane and Madone line next year. Domane sells well (very well, actually), but I wouldn't doubt a move to the lighter direct-mount brakes in time for Classics season, next year. It's only a minor update, but they'll be able to incorporate their new brake technology beyond just the Emonda SLR.

As for the Madone, I wouldn't doubt that they leave it as-is until just before the TdF, at which time, they'll roll out a full-on aero Madone (as opposed to the current bike, which is a compromise).

Should make for a formidable arsenal of bikes, if you ask me.

Chader09

by Chader09

Trek is playing catch up. They debuted the Domane years back to compete directly with the Roubaix and such. Prior to that, the Madone was all they really had. The aero Madone of 2013-2014 fell short of aero promises compared to more dedicated designs while including the polarizing rear brake location and possibly sacrificing ride quality of the prior design.

With the Domane, Emonda and possibly redesigned Madone; they will have a true endurance, lite-race, aero-race lineup as three separate bikes.
This will more directly compare to Specialized and Giant by having a 1-1 relationship for people cross-shipping the brands.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Keep in mind also that the "Domane" Cancellara rides in the likes of Roubaix, etc., bears little resemblance to the Domane that is sold to the general public. In fact, it's geometry is the same as the Emonda H1. About the only thing Domane about it is that "iso speed decoupler" system in the seat cluster area, and maybe the carbon layup (I don't know). I've been riding the Domane and Emonda over the last couple of weeks and had a very close look at the differences. The frame that Cancellara is on (what Trek calls the Koppenberg Edition) is available only in very limited numbers (to satisfy UCI requirements of being "available to the public") but with things like a non replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger I'm not sure who would really opt for one, except to say you had one. I was surprised that the Emonda has essentially the same tire clearance as the Domane, and that shifted my focus entirely. The Domane's geometry did not suit what I'm looking for, but the Emonda is spot on (for me), and since they got rid of that stupid under the bb brake placement, I'm back to thinking this Trek might be my next project.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Ah, thanks for the info. I've been considering selling my Cervelo and going for an "American" project bike. I dig the Emonda, but prefer the Madone with any aero advantage as I live in northwest Iowa, tis flat here. Might wait though.

amey

by amey

rgrhon wrote:1) Madone Bontrager brakes don't have the power of the Dura-Ace. Get Dura Ace for sure, even 105's (on a different bike) with the same cables perform better than Bonty's brakes. What a waste of time and money! The ones on the Mad 5.9 I'm riding with Dura Ace handles scare the Sh** out of me! Almost rear ended a bus today! This is definitely NOT good on a high end bike!

2) Rear Brake location (either Bonty or Shim) gets dirty fast, requires more maintenance. PITA. Trek really f'd it up here. Bikeradar gave 3 stars just for the crappy brakes and tire rub on this bike! That's right, something's actually flexing at the stays enough for the tires to rub the brake pads! Make sure you ride it on an 18+ degree grade and you'll experience it yourself! Don't know how the pro's handle this unless its not a true production frame.

3) Poor routing of cable to rear brake position is draggy, too much bend where it exits the frame. Even ruins excellent Dura-Ace performance when dirty (all the time).

4) Domane is stiff enough and compliant enough, but the handling is a bit freaky. It's a cheap single point solution to making the whole frame flex compliant yet stiff. You can use less $$$$ carbon. In hard corners you feel the bump in the front but not in the back, so you don't have the handling because you lose the feel of the rear end. I thought it was sliding initially, then when it did slide I didn't feel it at first. Barely recovered control. Definitely NOT a crit bike. Maybe OK for flat, rough stages but to me it was scary in the mountains. To compare, ride the truly compliant yet stiff 2014 BMC team machine. It's just as compliant, handles well enough for crits, and is stiff. A more expensive but much better solution. Better tires might help a little, as might going to stiffer carbon wheels (aeolus), custom team frame (H1) and stiffer IsoSpeed bushings like on Fabian's bike (~$10k).

5) Currently waiting to ride the Emonda SLR8. At least the brakes are in the right place. Only considering this bike because my LBS is phenomenal, the price is $2k lower and the BMC dealer is not phenomenal. Also Red Team (now TREK Care) is great if you ride more than about 3k miles a year. I got my $250 back 10 fold on Red Team, and it paid for itself in chains alone. Only be sure your LBS is willing to do the paperwork for you or it won't pay off. So far reviews are cautiously positive, which I attribute to the modified Pro Madone Frame they're using (not KVF). Can't say enough positive words about the warranty combined with my LBS (Jax in Long beach CA)! I wouldn't consider Trek at all without it! I figure I saved $3k over 2 years in parts and repairs! Really want that 2014 BMC TeamMachine frame though...

Classic web forum armchair BS; maybe even anti trek PR by some other big brand given the user has posted only one post !?

Anyway; I have a series 5 madone built up like this: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/trek-madone-59-18327

Its an excellent bike. Yes the brakes out-of-the-box (bontrager) are not as good as standard shimano ultegra and above. BUT you can get direct mount brakes starting at 105 range in shimano. Get shimano for ease of use and better location of limit screws. Get swisstop pads and get compression-less cables (if you buy from wiggle get lifeline performance; cheap and good; thats what I have). There is a learning curve for direct mount brakes but as forum reading/posting cyclists we love that dont we? I would really like to believe in the greater future of caliper brakes rather than disc on road bikes and direct mount is a step towards that. They are light, aero and can accommodate wider tyres. The braking power is phenomenal (DA9010). In terms of flex that is again some grade A BS. Its a lovely stiff frame, I have ridden it above 25 degrees heat and there is no flex or tyre rub etc.

My only slight criticism would be the rear direct mount brake could be fitted at a normal location i.e. not under BB shell for ease, cleanliness and better cable routing but there are ways around that such as know how to cut and route cable well and use it as a fair weather bike, at least thats what I do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Here's the stack-reach data for Madone 7 + Domane:

The Domane is shorter reach at the same stack.