Veloplugs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Naturel

by Naturel

Hi,

I ordered Veloplugs on Ebay but I have still from the original website but ordered a few years ago.

The news that I received are totally different !!! ?

Is there fake of this product?

Thank You for your help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Not sure I understand what you are asking

Naturel

by Naturel

I meant that I recently ordered veloplugs on Ebay, these were cheaper. And these are totally different from the ones I bought several years ago on the official website.
Indeed, the plastic is thinner, there is no grip, and I got an inflate just after a few minutes riding with it.

Does somebody if fakes exist?

Thank You,

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have found them to fit kinda loose at first but after one ride the tire pressure seems to flatten them out and they fit snug from there on. Because of the somewhat initial loose fit you need to be careful during the first tire/wheel assembly.

jdp211

by jdp211

Are you sure you got the correct plugs? Red vs yellow is a different diameter for different size spoke holes.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

+1

It sounds like you may have ordered the wrong size.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I bought them from Jason at Fairwheel who also built the wheelset. I suppose it is possible they are the wrong size. I was told they may initially fit a little loose. However, I will order the red veloplugs and see how they fit.

Naturel

by Naturel

The old and the news are the same colors, RED.

And it is the right size.

But like I said it is completely different ! ???

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Post pictures?

LouisN

by LouisN

For the same rim I usually use the reds, I had to buy the yellow ones once. The holes were too big to hold the reds (Kinlin XR 200).
So I guess it depends on the spoke hole diameter. Not big differences, a matter of 0.X mm...

Louis :)

djconnel

by djconnel

I secure mine in place with small lengths of electrical tape. But they should fit snug.

LouisN

by LouisN

I did that for a friend's wheelbuild, but after some time the glue pours out of the tape (with heat and pressure) and the rim bed was pretty messy after that.

Louis :)

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Is there a short list of rims and their required coloured veloplugs...eg Mavic, Velocity, Pacenti, Ambrosio etc...?

1415chris

by 1415chris

Just to share my experience with the things in the question.
Rims Archetype, Veloplugs red, yellow were too tight. On top of this 2x electric tape.
I have been riding with this set up for whole this seson with no problems, to the point.
Surrey hills, not the most chellenging enviroment even for the heavy rider (95kg).
To the point of my visit in Tenerife, where some very local roads go very steep, +20%.
On one of these descent, very slow, extremely steep, I had 2 punctures, not blow ups.
The same place, first time, inner tube was deflated after I have just finished descent, lucky me.
My first thought was it was one of this latex issues. So have changed to butyl one and enjoyed my ride. The next one 2 days later, after climbing Teide and 40km descent, when I reached exactly the same section where I had the previous failure, unfortunately for me, failure happened 3m before the end of descend, resulting very uncomfortable 3m slide on the tarmac, with all these clothes, shoes and body consequences, you know what I mean.
After inspection of the rim, which I supposed to do after the first accident, I found that the one of the veloplug was melted down and pressed into the rim leaving the spoke hole supported by the electric tape only. In these extreme conditions electric tape stopped to be eny support for the inner tube due to the high temperature in which it become kind of "fluid tape", resulting another inner tube failure.

So after this I'm definitely switching to the proper rim tape.
Maybe the plugs work OK with other rims, but not with Archetype.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I have yellows in my archetype's they work just fine, tight to install but just knocked them in gently with a small soft headed hammer, no additional tape needed, no flats.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde