Schwalbe Procore?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jacobHansen

by jacobHansen

Hello Guys, I did not find any threads about this new product just released at Eurobike this weekend.

Check out the link:
http://www.schwalbe.com/en/schwalbe-procore.html

I was thinking... The claimed weight is 200grams for the whole system. but i've only seen in on DH bikes, no XC bikes.

they will be available for 26¨, 29¨ and for 27.5 (650B)

Im a XC rider myself, is there anything to win here compared to running tubeless system? what do ya'll think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

It's an extra 200g per tyre and you still need the tubeless sealant for puncture prevention. I don't think for XC it'll catch on. We generally don't go over big drops so burping is less of an issue and would we want the extra rolling resistance of running 10psi in the tyres? I think it's good for DH and obviously enduro riders will love it, but don't think it'll catch on for XC as 200g is quite a lot.

drider85

by drider85

I thought it might be interesting for a CX application. The ability to have several different tires and not have to reglue could be nice. However it hard to overlook 200g.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

drider85 wrote:I thought it might be interesting for a CX application. The ability to have several different tires and not have to reglue could be nice. However it hard to overlook 200g.

The extra weight seems like a killer for all but downhill applications. Could be a plus for that use though.
adrenaline junkie

TheRookie

by TheRookie

DH and possibly some enduro aplications where they want to run low pressures for grip but need that final support to reduce the chances of burping (or it being an issue) or to prevent catastrophic punctures or pinching damage. XC, no, doesn't work on any level except as a puncture aid.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DanW

by DanW

As others have said, there is no real advantage for XC even if it added zero weight. I can't see anyone wanting to pedal a significant amount wanting to run 10psi which is the aim of the system (stopping rim damage at that low pressure rather than directly improving puncture protection).

What is perhaps more interesting is the Syndicate boys have been running tubular tyres for DH...

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Tubular DH tires? Really?

Do you have some documentation for that?

I'm sure a lighter version would be useful for XC as well. We all want to run lower tire pressures, don't we :) ?

DanW

by DanW

Tubular DH rims/ tyres have been tested for a while and I guess the ENVE connection in the team helps drive this. They were ridden at the Sea Otter before last and tested during the WC season this year. Some mention of this at Windham for example
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/qualifying-windham-dh-world-cup-6.html

Yeah Josh got first qualifier so I am really stoked for him. Now I'm going through all the preparation applying tubular tire glue to his training rims, making sure the spare tires are good and making sure his race wheels are fast for tomorrow.
There was a longer article on Pinkbike about it but I can't find it quickly.

The theory of Tubular set ups potentially offering a better balance of grip, rolling resistance, weight and protection against the tyre blowing off the rim all sounds better than the Procore approach. I know a lot of XC guys already ride tubular but getting the DH side of MTB interested in it too could be very interesting for MTB specific developments and tyre design/ availability. I'd be much more interested trying tubular tyres/ rims for XC before Procore but it is nice innovation from Schwalbe.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Cool, thanks. I totally missed that. Interesting :)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

They weren't riding tubulars. They used tubular glue as an additional safety measure to keep the (clincher) tires stuck to the rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

That makes more sense about the tubular glue being for increased security on clinchers vs. actual tubular tires being used in DH. I remember seeing Tomac's mechanic putting little strips of tubular glue on the beads of his DH tires in the early 2000s, even though he was running tubes in his clinchers. The reason being that he was getting the tires spinning on the rims under hard braking, which was tearing the valve stems, or at least it had the potential to do so. Low pressure doesn't press the tire/rim interface together hard enough I guess.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for clarifying, LeDuke. I thought it sounded a bit strange at first.

DanW

by DanW

Perhaps the quick Pinkbike quote wasn't the best but Minnaar in particular has been reported as testing Tubular DH tyres/ rims. Pics are from Sea Otter (non event) but he was also reportedly testing at Fort William recently too. The pics were reported as tubular tyres although I wouldn't know how to be sure of this besides seeing a crudely attached tread to a casing and then the casing in turn glued to the rim. Looks like a (crude) tubular based on that. It is true that Tubular haven't seen a proper UCI DH race run yet (that much I am certain) but every now and again they pop up on Syndicate bikes under testing in news articles (believed to be Maxxis treads on Dugast casing).... I guess the demand for tyres is too low at the moment and casings not tough enough yet to trust for a race run although in principle I like the idea

TheRookie

by TheRookie

That just looks like a normal clincher, although you could use a clincher rim and make it 'tubular' by bridging across the inside of the tyre saving circa 150g on the bit of the tube that is inside the tyre.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

I don't honestly know if it is a tubular tyre or not, just that the Pinkbike/ Vital MTB/ etc reports label them as such. Certainly looks like a tread glued on too some sort of casing but the casing doesn't look particularly tubular-esque to me :?

Also, great gluing job by the mechanics :D