2014 Cervelo S2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

7ducati

by 7ducati

Hey all. I just picked up my new S2 (54) on Tuesday evening. Had a bit of a headache with the bike shop, they weren't going to have it ready before my first road race this Sunday. So I picked it up and finished the build myself. I don't have any of the weights right now, I'm just trying to get some miles on it and get everything dialed in before my race. I'll be going back and changing things out as I go, but for Sunday, I've built it up using a lot of my old components from my Tarmac. If interested, I'll update this thread with weights and non-iphone photos in the coming week or so.

2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Nice build! Get some air into those tyres ;)

Very interested to see what the frame weighs, so if you get a chance to strip it down post the result!
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

micky

by micky

Not a big fan of Cervelo S series but that graphic/color is very nice. :beerchug:

7ducati

by 7ducati

Thanks guys. I took some "artsy" photos last night with my wife's good camera. Once my race is over this weekend, I'll try and get some weights. I'm not expecting it to be a WW, but it will give me a good idea where it currently stands and where it can be improved. I'm getting into road and crit races, so weight isn't that big of a deal to me.

2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

nd2rc

by nd2rc

That looks nice!

Getter

by Getter

Bummed that Cervelo does not sell the S2 as a frame only. I actually like the look of the skinnier fork compared the one on the S3.

atwilson

by atwilson

Good lookin bike! How're you liking it so far? I just ordered one, but am only going to using the frameset and seatpost. Debated between it and an S5, but went with this for the increase in stiffness over the S5.

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Great bike!!! I wanted this but the price at my LBS is pretty expensive

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Niiice!

Looking fwd to see the weight!
My old version of the S2 Frame w headset & saddel clamp : 1185 grams 3T Funda Pro Fork 408 grams (cut)

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

Looks great!

russianbear

by russianbear

I have to say I'm really digging the new design of the S series (s2/3). Beautiful bike!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Any weights on this?

Frameset weight would be sensational.

53x12

by 53x12

TP, my 54cm S3 (same frame as the S2 above) minus different frame color and slightly different fork came in at 1076g. So I'd assume the above S2 would come in similar +/-. My fork was 380g uncut iirc.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

7ducati

by 7ducati

Thanks for covering me 53x12. I never did get a chance to take my bike apart and weigh the frame. I think the S2 would come in pretty close to the S3. According to Damon Rinard, there's really no difference in weight between the two framesets.

From a post on slowtwitch.com:

Post #13 of 37 (2602 views)
Re: S2 vs. S3....any aero differences? [pyrahna] [In reply to] Quote | Reply
Hi pyrahna,

Performance-wise, just the component differences.

Our mission is to make Cervelo riders faster. This philosophy helps explain the engineering of the two forks.

We developed the S3 fork first, using the same advanced engineering tools we've honed in engineering the Rca and P5: CFD, FEA, laminate analysis, etc. The somewhat large surface area (due to the long chord) means we've chosen higher modulus fibres in some areas, to help reduce weight.

Afterwards, to make the S2 fork, we chopped a centimeter or so off the trailing edge of the S3 fork's CAD model. That reduction in surface area let us save some weight, which we put back into the fork in the form of thicker walls (but not as high modulus fibres). Those two changes combine in a cancelling effect: same weight and stiffness. In the end, the main difference is the S2 fork costs less.

Only afterwards did we find there was no measurable difference in the wind tunnel!

Cervelo S2 fork: weight neutral, stiffness neutral, aero neutral.

Lucky for S2 riders, eh!

Cheers,
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale Road Engineering Department
Since 2015
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

53x12

by 53x12

Yup, you are correct no difference in the S2 bs S3 frame and just cosmetic difference between the forks. How are you liking it long term compared to your Tarmac?

S2 is a great buy for a tear down if you want a frameset. I was lucky to get my S3 frameset for a steal when visiting Canada. Otherwise I probably would have gone the S2 route to get the frameset as well.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com