CAAD10 Requires Diet.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I've long wanted a CAAD10, and after thefts and various missteps, I've finally got one. I started with an ebay frame and fork, 6800 group, SL-K crank, handbuilt training-type wheels (6800 on TB14 rims) and a mish-mash of finishing kit (Planet X stem, Cinelli Axis Bars, Cannondale c3 post.

At present, it's weighing in around the 7.8-7.9 mark. I'd like to get it closer to 7, possibly a little under, but I'm not exactly flush with cash. I weigh about 70kg and most of my riding is in the Irish mountains.

Be Gentle. I know the bar tape is a bit of a mess, and she badly needs a clean.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PVCB ... C_0020.JPG

Obviously, the first port of call will be the wheels. They currently weigh just over 2kg with tapes, skewers. The saddle could probably stand to be replaced too. Any recommendations for matching finishing kit that's going to be a bit lighter, but keep the stem angle and bar shape would be much appreciated,
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the img tags. pic to big. Cheers!

CaptainP

by CaptainP

Those wheels look seriously good!

Stronglight CT2 chainrings would be nice, there is that Uno stem on eBay, maybe also a Dorico LTD from ebay?

Otherwise looks solid!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

They're very nice looking, a nice classic look, and very stiff. They are very heavy, though.

j0oftheworld

by j0oftheworld

It's funny when considering a build with factors like rainy Ireland versus Arizona where I'm from with <20cm of rain per year!

My Mavic tires would collect rocks in the rubber when riding in the rain but all the different Conti's I've ran handled rain well.
How are the Corsa EVO's treating you in wet weather?

My CAAD10 is a '12 105 build. Everything has been lightened but I'm still deciding on wheelset and brakes.
I was 7.7kg w. ebay clinchers and basically stock components so I'm anxious to re-weigh once she's done!
JasonM. Tempe, AZ
'14 SW Roubaix / '16 Allez Sprint

Corum

by Corum

Yeah i like the wheels man, she does need abit of a clean.

Some serious TLC soon?

Fireform

by Fireform

A set of HED Ardennes wheels and a swap to a carbon bar like a 3t ergosum will get you there.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

try Ritchey WCS logic II bars - and then the respective ritchey WCS stem. Not sure if the bars are EXACTLY the same shape, but they look close to me.

http://ritcheylogic.com/road/bars/wcs-l ... d-bar.html
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

stubob

by stubob

Skewers are cheap, light tubes are cheap.
Light brakes and a lighter seatpost are pretty cheap. Ultegra cassettes are pretty heavy, you can probably find a used Red for not too much. I didn't think I'd like riding a stripped saddle, but it's not uncomfortable. That was about 500g off my CAAD9.

dogg

by dogg

that looks great with those wheels.

deda stem & post + chopped steerer should drop some weight, maybe some different pedals?

a sprinkling of ti hardware wouldnt be a bad idea either.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Vacillating between a K-Force and a KCNC post at present. I'd prefer if the collar matched the cuffs, so to speak, but limited budget options on lightweight finishing kit including a 17 degree stem seem thin on the ground. A Fabric ALM might well replace the Scoop Ti down the line as well.

Wheel-wise, I'm loving the current set for training. Pricing at something a little less hefty for racing next season and pleasure rides. Something 1400 ish. Tune Black series look nice, but I may consult with the guy who built my current set for something a little more practical.

The Open Corsa are grand in the wet, as long as the road is half decent. They don't get on well with bad roads, wet or dry. I'm using Durano S for these. There's a loss of comfort and ride quality, but it's not costing me 90 quid a month for tyres.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

So, a little update.

In theory, I've cut nearly a kilo, but I'll have to see how it all shakes out when I build it up.

Seatpost is being changed to a KCNC Ti Pro, and bars to KCNC Sc Force, trimming about 200g for 30 quid of eBay luck. The bulk of the weight loss is coming from a set of Superstar/Pacenti wheels, costing all of 150 quid, and dropping at least 700g. A change to lizard skins tape is on the cards as well.

I'm not feeling any compulsion to change the stem yet, the old planet x job just works and it would cost silly money to even lose 20g. I'm a bit unsure if there's any saving to be made by going tubeless yet, but it's bike to have the option.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I couldn't let it, or the thread, lie.

A few upgrades later, still as nice to ride...and just nicking under the 7KG mark

Changes:
Saddle to Selle Italia Aspide Protek CarbonFX, which is rather a lot of syllables for a seat, but is comfy and weghs nowt.
Crank to Hollowgram SiSL + FSA rings. Not that much lighter than the SL-K but silly stiff
Pedals to Ritchey Paradigm V5. Still using MTB pedals as my shoes simply won't die.
Wheels are now the semi-infamous Superstar/Pacenti jobs. Running true and clear, with 25mm Tubeless Schwalbe Ones
Seatpost/Bars to KCNC Scandium. Lighter and just as functional as the previous
Stem to KAlloy Uno 6 Degree. The PX stem was ok, but 6 degrees+10mm spacers was always going to look better than a 17 with 30mm.

Devon

by Devon

Looks a lot better after a wash :wink:

How are you finding the post? I was considering one...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

It's a well made, light post, not sure how it would compare to carbon, all other things being equal, as I haven't tried.

The clamp is very basic, but effective. You'll need a ball-end Allen key to set it up for sure, as the angle of the post makes clearance on the front bolt non-existent with a straight key.