Trek 2014 superfly hardtail weights

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PSM

by PSM

Spot on. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Tomas91 wrote:Did you weigh it out with downtube & chainstay protector, BB bearings, headset bearings, bottle boss bolts etc. removed? That stuff can add some (sometimes suprisingly much) weight...
BTW, this is probably the main reason, why they don´t list their bikes´ or frames´weight. Not only it varies between sizes, it can also vary to some extent between two identical models.

I´m deciding between 9.8 and 9.8 SL, the SL looks better IMHO, has better, or rather more durable fork, lighter wheelset (Which I would probably replace anyway, so that´s not a big issue) and about 300 g lighter frame, but I´m not really sure, if that´s worth that 1.800 € of price difference. Probably I´m not that much of a weight weenie :-), but anyway, what´s your opinion?

I think i only had the bb bearings in not the rubber protector, but to be honest i first fly got rep,ace after the bb shell wasnt abke to hold bearings anymore and my replacement sl frame started crancking around seatpost after less than 500 km, the 27.2 syntace post is correct size wise but the frame isnt, hence the cracks, i have lost most of my sympathy for trek, i mean if they stuck with a normal bb shell ( treated ) and check there molds for sizing they woulndt have to advertise that they offer ' worlds best warranty policy'

Other than, it does ride really nice, i havent ridden other cf mtb but its stiff and comfy im still running the original 3 year old fox forks and an xtr groupset with thunder burt it sad just under 9.5 kilo very nice (;

njee20

by njee20

Tomas91 wrote:Internal cable routing isn´t really something I would miss anyway... I´m just tempted by that FOX fork and those 300 g of weight saving... But that price difference is just enormous. I could buy a set of top-notch carbon fiber wheels and sitll have a couple hundred € left, so I´ll probably act raitionally and stick with the non-SL version unless I got some super deal on that SL one.

That was my exact dilemma, I'm happy with the standard 9.8, although I must say the frame weight is a little disappointing. Stilll, 8.7kg for the bike isn't bad!

Re the 1100g SL frame - if Trek are like Scott (and I suspect they are) the lightest frames become 9.9s, the 9.8s are probably slightly heavier anyway, and may well have things like heavier paint. It'll also be a small size, and minus all the removable bits.

PSM

by PSM

That is not a dilemma. Enjoy! For rough terrain these 200 gram is good for you. :)

PSM

by PSM

Went tubeless the other day. 9650 gr. Very nice experience for me to ride without tubes. Comfort.

PSM

by PSM

New wheels and new rotors:

Last edited by PSM on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njee20

by njee20

Is that the green ESI grips you've got? Was going to get a pair, wasn't sure they'd match well!

PSM

by PSM

The match is about 91%. :oops: 8)
Last edited by PSM on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njee20

by njee20

Reckon they'd look a bit odd with Grip Shift too, one of them only being half the length. Black would probably make more sense...

PSM

by PSM

9320 grams btw...

PSM

by PSM

9319 gr. :waving: :lol:

Getter

by Getter

Nice ride PSM!

PSM

by PSM

Thank you!

Thinking of slowly uppgade to full XTR. Rotors allready changed. :oops:

Johnbenread

by Johnbenread

My 21” Superfly Pro SL is on 8.75kg, no pedals.

It's 100% stock apart form a Bontrager XR-1 Front tyre, Tubless and XX1 Groupset.

FYI the 21” (XL) frame was 988g thats just the carbon and the Rear mech hanger, no bottle cage bolts, seat clamp, down tube protecter etc.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Johnbenread wrote:My 21” Superfly Pro SL is on 8.75kg, no pedals.

It's 100% stock apart form a Bontrager XR-1 Front tyre, Tubless and XX1 Groupset.

FYI the 21” (XL) frame was 988g thats just the carbon and the Rear mech hanger, no bottle cage bolts, seat clamp, down tube protecter etc.

:beerchug:

100% stock apart from... :doh: :no1: