Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Hey all,

I'm thinking about the Hongfu FM066sl frameset as my next frame, and I just want to make sure I pick the right size. I'm 5'8" for reference.

I've made this handy chart that compares the geo of my current frame to the next closest 3 frame sizes of the FM066sl

This shows that the frame with the same TT measurement is a 50cm. But the frame with the closest HT and ST angle is the 52cm. What I'm confused about is that I've seen posts by people who are around my same height and ride the 54cm. This is maybe due to just longer inseam and arm reach? Seems very weird to me.

So my question is, which should I choose, 50cm or 52cm in the FM066sl? The smaller frame would maybe need a slightly longer stem than I have now, but the larger one might need a shorter one?

Thanks!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

52 bruh , angles are the same and you can slam the stem. I'm about your height and would probably holler at the 50cm, but if you like the way your current nashbro rides then get the 52. do not even consider the 54.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

+1, though the tall head tube will create problems. If you already have the stem slammed you don't have much to do. Even with a negative rise stem you'd get around 1 cm of extra drop.
The longer TT (or more correctly, the shorter stem to get the same reach) would lead to different handling. Or you could try getting used to 1 cm more reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

syncmaster

by syncmaster

What would the disadvantage to be to going with the 50cm? The ST angle could just be negated by scooting my saddle forward, right? But would the .5 degree difference in the HT be very noticeable? I'm just concerned about the reach on the 52cm.

efeballi

by efeballi

You'd need to scoot the saddle backward.
Well, different HTA means different handling. Nothing outrageous, it would certainly be manageable but, different.
The 52 cm would also have different, twitchier handling as you'd use a shorter stem.
Btw both of these have a taller HT than the nashbar, that could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Thanks for the info. I don't think the taller HT will be a problem as I've got my Nashbar setup with a positive rise in the stem, and it's got about 1.5cm of spacers underneath. That means I should be able to go more parallel with the stem on the FM066sl and also use less spacers.

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

I'm about 167cm and my lbs said I should get the 50cm Bianchi frameset, I ride a 52cm trek madone at the moment. I think a 50cm could be too small maybe? It will be ordered in so I need to get it right. You could just move the seatpost and stem up? Other option is a trek madone 5 series frameset that has front stupid carbon dropouts and steel on the back.
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

Antoine

by Antoine

50 looks right unless you have very long legs and arms for your size.

Look at J.Rodriguez's bike : http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... -aeroad-cf

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

Antoine wrote:50 looks right unless you have very long legs and arms for your size.

Look at J.Rodriguez's bike : http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... -aeroad-cf

Yeah I think it will be right. Bianchi have weird sizing options. Don't Panic :|
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

Manieren

by Manieren

I''m about 1.83 with a inseam of of 86.7. I'm planning of buying a Giant TCR advanced, the store advised me a medium frame size after they measured different bodyparts. He said the top tube is more important than the frame size. There was even no doubt between te m and m/l, the m/l was to large for a perfect position.

But when i look at the giant site that looks very small. The medium is for persons between 1.70 and 1.78. What do you people think about this?
Sorry for my bad english i'm dutch. The geometry of the giant trc is as follow:

blantonator

by blantonator

I was wondering if I could get some help with geometry between two bikes.

I'm currently riding a Cannondale Supersix size 52 with approx 35mm of spacers off the head tube and 110mm 0deg stem

Geometry:

I'm looking at picking up a used Seven Mudhoney cross bike. This will have a 395mm A-C fork and the following dimensions:

ST(cc): 47 cm
TT(eff): 54.8 cm
HTA: 72.5 cm
STA: 73.5 cm
BB: 7.5 cm
HT:11.2 cm
FrontCenter: 58.5 cm

Can I make this bike work?

AGW

by AGW

Do you have stack and reach for the frame? It's got the TT length of 54 SuperSix but a shorter head tube. If everything stayed constant, you'd have to go to 100mm stem and add another 10cm below it. By 0-degree do you mean no-rise (-17)? If that's the case you try a -6 degree stem or something. It might spare you the need for a shorter stem or additional spacers.

blantonator

by blantonator

Since the mudhoney is a cross bike and the fork is 28mm longer A-C(395 vs 367), shouldn't the stack be taller? With a taller stack, the reach would be shorter when compared to a road bike of similar top tube length?

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or calculator they could put this into?

Bely

by Bely

NEED some help,

I normally ride a 55cm top tube road bike and am looking to get a canyon TT bike, however, after inputting all the data, I seem to be inbetween a Small and Medium? does anyone have any experience with this bike to help me out here? thanks

my measurements are:

height: 181cm
inseam: 84cm
torso: 52cm
shoulder width: 46cm
arm length: 57cm

I had a 54cm cervelo p2C before and ride a 54.5-55cm top tube Colnago
Last edited by Frankie - B on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited topic title. writing in capital letters is like screaming on the internet. I also made the title describe the question.
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bely

by Bely

Sorry my torso is 68cm
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs