Removing expander plug from '02 SID Race Carbon

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

endre

by endre

[Split from FS: 2004 "Special Edition" Rock Sox SID World Cup - Florian]

Hi !!!

I have the 2002 model of SID(Race Carbon) and i want to remove the"expander plug" from the steerer tube,how can I do that?
and what is the best way to cut my Carbon steerer?

thanks,
endre

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

why would you want to remove the nut in the first place?

You can cut the steerer with a hacksaw! Not the best way to do it, but it works!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

endre

by endre

Hello,again,

I want to remove the nut from the steerer becouse it is under the place i want to cut, its in the way.... and I was thinking on a carbon simple plug instead of it...does that exist?is that safe? i think I saw it on a manufacturers webpage but I dont remember which one...

and how can I remove the nut?

end+re:

nikh

by nikh

endre wrote:and I was thinking on a carbon simple plug instead of it...does that exist?is that safe? i think I saw it on a manufacturers webpage but I dont remember which one...

Try Schmolke.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Oswald

by Oswald

You should have used a special nut for carbon steerers... You can remove those easily without harming the steerer tube...

endre

by endre

first of all ,thanks for your reply !

nikh
i realized that i saw the aheadcap at Schmolke too,thank you !

Oswald
about the nut, i got the fork with expander plug already in,becouse i buyed my bike already builded,and that is one for rockshox carbon steerers...so you say its easy to remove!can you tell me,how to do it?
you would help a lot!!!

endre

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

If it's a normal looking one. and your fork steerer is the same size on the inside, you can always hammer it down using a small piece of piping :idea:
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Oswald

by Oswald

endre wrote:first of all ,thanks for your reply !

nikh
i realized that i saw the aheadcap at Schmolke too,thank you !

Oswald
about the nut, i got the fork with expander plug already in,becouse i buyed my bike already builded,and that is one for rockshox carbon steerers...so you say its easy to remove!can you tell me,how to do it?
you would help a lot!!!

endre

The one I'm talking about looks like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/hope%20hed%20doctor.jpg

The ones that look like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/diacompe ... %20nut.jpg can damage your carbon steerertube...

The first ones are usually provided with carbon forks... Don't know about Sid forks, but you should consider getting one of these nuts...

Oswald

by Oswald

nikh wrote:
endre wrote:and I was thinking on a carbon simple plug instead of it...does that exist?is that safe? i think I saw it on a manufacturers webpage but I dont remember which one...

Try Schmolke.

Do you guys have any experience with these Schmolke headcaps?

To me, it seems dangerous... I would inspect the headset often to make sure it hasn't developped play... A loose headset will ovalize your headtube... you do NOT want that to happen to an expensive frame... For the headset not to come loose, you would have to tighten the stem bolts very hard, which is not a good idea on a carbon steerer tube, since you have to respect the torque limits...

But, like I said, I have no personal experience with this item, so anyone who has, feel free to correct me...

endre

by endre

no!!!
my plug looks like:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/files/a5_3.jpg (the little plug near the steerer)
how can I get that out? ? ?

any ideas? and my fork steerer and crown is the same constructon....

endre

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

how about: screwing a fitting long bolt into it a bit and then try to pull it out!

Oswald

by Oswald

Frankie - B wrote:how about: screwing a fitting long bolt into it a bit and then try to pull it out!

Yep, that's the way to get one of those out...

This is the plug I was talking about... Works the same way as the plug I posted a link to... you can install/remove these without scraping the carbon...

Just put the bolt in and use it to pull it out... If it's not long enough, get a longer one like Frankie B said...

endre

by endre

Thank you all very much!!!

I will try the method which you suggested,and I will tell you if its works,I hope it does...

tanks again,
endre

endre

by endre

Hello,

I tried to pull out the plug.... and no result...

Then I camed with the idea to beat on the bolt with a hammer...
and succes!!! the plug camed in to pieces, the first is a conic one which expands in the another one, and fixes the plug assembly... it is really simple,and is made of aluminium and it is relatively light...

thank you all for your help,
endre

Boj

by Boj

I guess its too late now, but you should have been able to remove your plug with just an allen key.

If you look at this plug shown before:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/hope%20hed%20doctor.jpg

,you can see that if you remove the cap+bolt there is a hexagonal hole which is where the (large) allen key goes to undo the plug.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com