What is everyone weighing in at?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

This above post by KWalker should be made sticky on top of the thread.
Diet should only ever serve as a means to support the training (and facilitate better training), not an end in itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

I too have chased weight with subpar results. It just isn't worth the decreased energy levels and unless you have a very high bodyfat %, you will probably lose a lot of strength with your weight. I find that if I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, and stick to a wholesome diet (minimal processed carbs, lean proteins, whole grains, veggies, etc.), my weight hovers slightly over what I'd consider "skinny bike racer", but I tend to be a lot stronger on the bike.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Sykes

by Sykes

Too much, 202lbs.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

A year gone by, I shall quote myself... quoting myself.
Tapeworm wrote:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105601&p=903615#p903615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Paradoxically, some cyclists don't eat enough to lose weight. They skimp on calories (and consequently nutrients) which means recovery is compromised and they can't train as hard. And because they don't train as hard they don't lose as much weight, so they eat less...

When you're training properly its a case of struggling to get the calories in. Prolonged, consistent training and diet can bring about the loss of muscle without much or any lose in power. But for most of us its not an immediately obtainable goal. Also not overlooking genetics. Some just won't have those ultra-dense fibres. That's is not to say improvement cannot be made but the "pro" look may not be there...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=98834&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your power to weight ratio is less than 5 w/kgs then eat more, train harder and stop obsessing about inconsequential matters. Performance will lead to low body fat, not the other way round.

Diet should be done smart.

But here's a question. Are you training harder (quality) and eating "right" and seeing a significant rise in FTP and a reduction in body fat levels?

if not then answer could be to eat more.

I have seen plenty of cyclists get caught in the "losing weight paradox". They try to lose weight so they eat less, they can't train as hard, recover poorly, don't lose much weight, so they eat less, can't train as hard etc...

Then when they've killed their FTP they give up, eat "normal" and weight stacks on.

I prefer the path of train hard, eat well, recover, train harder, eat well etc. There maybe some net weight/fat gain. But I promise you someone with a 350watt FTP will lose weight easier than a 250watt FTP. Additional someone who has done the work to get to 350watts probably would have shed a bit on the way. Performance first and foremost.

If you get to 350watts and have a 20% body fat then yes, a bit of cutting will make you even better. Anything else is poser wankery. Like I said, if yall are worried about BF levels before you've got a decent engine you're all backwards...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Conversely, if everyone kept this in mind I'm certain racing would be a lot harder.

So I will extol the virtues of calorie deficits and over eating a given macronutrient.

silver

by silver

35 yrs, 185cm, 67 kgs.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

For the first 5 months of the season i ate 3 cookies everyday. I kinda made my lunch probably smaller to make room for those cookie calories, but it made me happy. Some days admittedly i felt a little weak at the knees, but 99% of the days i think i trained decently and was able to make some gainzzzzz. i raced early season 10 lbs lighter than what i raced at last season....and there were days i felt angelic climbing. I think seeing an all time weight low, got me nervous when i was racing later in the season and zomg i weighed 6 lbs more, but i think i still had fun and did well. So that was a good reminder weight doesn't make or break a race.

since the end of RR season, i told myself i wont step on the scale til next year after 2015 training has started lolol. I got sick of those 3 cookies (madelines), and now im doing donuts with icecream for dessert instead.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

drainyoo wrote:35 years
6ft/182cm
208lb/94kg

Trying to burn off the daddy fat and get down to 190lb.

I'm down to 200lbs/90kg. Getting there, slowly.

Cuki

by Cuki

Excellent news.
Around these parts, a packet of butter is 250g. Maybe where you are it's an 8oz packet?
Remember, butter is very similar to adipose tissue in colour and form.
Next time you are at the supermarket, just stack up sixteen packets of butter and puff out your chest a little.

Keep it up, sir

Norregard

by Norregard

30 years old, 1.87m, 67kg.

tomtom

by tomtom

44 years, 1.85cm and 78-82 kg :)
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am 6ft1 39 and was 82-83kg until the beginging of august and have been that weight for a long time, a stable so fine. Then I cut out alot of the cake biscuits e.t.c that I was eating (kind of worried that I am not getting younger and I should be more senisble) and just ate more veg, fruit and well food really. I am now 77kg I have not straved myself just rode alot (you can't do 180 mile rides by starving yourself) and ate properly without stuffing my face full of cake which was the norm. Energy levels have never been higher. Weight loss was not the goal I suppose to be a healthy weight all you need to do is eat the right stuff and ride a bit or alot. Starving yourself is self defeating you only put it on later. Do the former and you will be a healthy weight. Right now I am training harder than I have all year and I am seeing some gains but I can't quantify easily I don't have a power meter. All I can say is the time it takes me to my training hills is coming down now.

So eating lots and riding lots does work, I'd be worried if I lost more weight and would eat some cake to correct the problem.

My diet consists of pasta, rice/curry (homemade by my lovely wife), salads and one a week a chippie meal. This week has not been a good diet it has slipped. I don't do supplements never have and never will (as you find those supplement in well food). Training is - tuesday 17 -35 miles of fast riding, wedneday 20 mile gentle spin, Friday morning 17 mile fast ride, saturday morning a fast ride sometimes and sunday is either a race/getting dropped or training ride currently 80 odd miles. The getting dropped bit is mostly down to not training enough and being generally crap at racing.

I think if you over analyse what you eat the joy in food disapears. We all know what foods are good to eat they are well food shaped and generally not over processed/refined i.e. rice, pasta, fish, chicken, veg, fruit, cerals, milk, eggs you know food. Just eat your fill and enjoy it as your body does need fuel, then ride or the other way around maybe.

jimborello

by jimborello

Damn I am a pork, Im 78 kilos and Im 1.74 tall =(.

robertgarvey

by robertgarvey

i can tell this after a month.. this time i am a big fatty.. please wait.. lol..
pokies free

Stoo

by Stoo

Tipped the scales at 71KG this morning.
End of season, time to get fat.

Not too fat though, picked up my 1st Cat licence in the last race with a win :D
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components