SRAM goes electric....(almost official) Has Landed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

I finally tried UI2 compared to my worn SRAM mix and while it was nice moving my finger this much instead of that much, with the possible exception of possible satellite shifters, for the rear deralleur I really didn't see it was much of an improvement. My pre yaw SRAM is prone to chain tossing in the front ( less with dog fang catcher ), but that's not a universal mechanical issue. And I preferred the hood ergonomics on the SRAM as well as the lower mass.

Wireless is cool for tandems and for travel bikes (but you probably don't want complex expensive electronic systems when traveling) or for DSs controlling rider gearing from the team car.

BmanX

by BmanX

I have been waiting for a while to go to electronic for shifting and I for one will be an early adaptor and love the idea of wireless shifting.

I am a huge SRAM fan so I am in.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

What will also be AWESOME will be wireless for TT set ups. I can see this right now as being a huge benefit for TT and Triathlon set ups. Small little pods at the end of the extensions that are very small in size compared to SHITmano
BIG DADDY B FLOW

53x12

by 53x12

djconnel wrote:I finally tried UI2 compared to my worn SRAM mix and while it was nice moving my finger this much instead of that much, with the possible exception of possible satellite shifters, for the rear deralleur I really didn't see it was much of an improvement. My pre yaw SRAM is prone to chain tossing in the front ( less with dog fang catcher ), but that's not a universal mechanical issue. And I preferred the hood ergonomics on the SRAM as well as the lower mass.

If you think the only benefit of Di2 is moving your finger this much rather than that much, you haven't spent enough time on it.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Guerdi wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:Haha people hate everything on this site.

[...]

I honestly hate Di2.

:?:

Strongly dislike, sorry.

SkippyMcJimmelstein

by SkippyMcJimmelstein

Pity, the article rules out sequential shifting. Also don't really like the non-deterministic front shifting where pressing both buttons moves rings instead of a dedicated button for each one, but only a test ride will know for sure.

Other than that I'm still looking forward to it and I don't think SRAM should be punished by at least attempting something new. Early adopting always carries risk.

nameless

by nameless

SkippyMcJimmelstein wrote:Also don't really like the non-deterministic front shifting where pressing both buttons moves rings instead of a dedicated button for each one, but only a test ride will know for sure.

Since there are only two front rings, I don't think it's a big deal.

53x12

by 53x12

"Since there are only two front rings, I don't think it's a big deal."

And when you want to shift chainring and cassette at the same time?

IMO, sequential shifting or bust.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I'm glad sram is coming out with wireless. The other two should have done it from the start. Not only its much easier to install, but you don't need a frame made specifically for electronic. You can use it on older frames,etc... Since each derailleur have their battery, you don't need a big battery for the complete system which reduces weight. We will see when it comes out, but if the batteries last between 600-1000km between charges it will be pretty good. I'm sure it will be closer to 1000. I don't see a problem taken out 2 little batteries and putting it in the charger. Actually I prefer that so you can charge anywhere without bringing the bike near an electrical outlet.

If the shifters use a 2032 battery, i'm sure it will last a good amount of time before having to replace them. Casio gshocks that use 2032 batteries usually have a battery life around 5 years if you use the functions moderatly. The watch uses much more energy than the shifters. most of the time the shifters will be in sleep mode untill you push the paddle.

Another thing about the front shifting that some people are complaining about. I don't see a problem of pushing both paddles at the same time for front shifting. shifting both derailleurs at the same time? Press both first and then either left of right. It should not take much more time compared to the other groupsets. I'm sure they will have auto trim on front and hold button to do the complete cassette up or down.

I see alot of people going with this group with TT bikes if they make TT shifters available.
Last edited by ferrarista on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
██

BmanX

by BmanX

One thing that I would love to see is that they offer this and it is able to be used on both 11 speed and 10 speed. I think that would be huge.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

Imaking20

by Imaking20

That would make for a landslide victory in the electronic shifting market, I think. That would also conflict with their own 11 speed sales though.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

BmanX wrote:One thing that I would love to see is that they offer this and it is able to be used on both 11 speed and 10 speed. I think that would be huge.

That would be cool , but I doubt it they will have that feature. Everybody is going forward with 11 speeds. Shimano is all 11 speed now for road groupset, campy discontinued centaur and will only have one 10 speed groupset left: Veloce. Maybe someone good with programming could modify it to make it work with 10 speed.
██

BmanX

by BmanX

BUT they might be able to sell more if they allow the later 11 speed adaptors to buy the shifters and allow them to run them as 10 speed for now but then when you do move up to 11 speed you can just change over the shifters to 11 speed.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I don't care about being wireless... like... as long as it is reliable, I would use it. On the other hand, I don't see what problem they are trying to solve... we need cables for brakes anyway, and after you set-up internal wiring for an Di2 and EPS, it is maintenance free. And frankly, this is easier than setting up a mechanical system (at least for Shimano). I agree it makes sense in a TT setup, especially with hydraulic rim brakes.

I think they are going wireless for the simple fact that it looks "cool". They need something to differentiate from Shimano & Campy. The other possible reason is that Shimano and Campagnolo already have so many patents that it would be almost impossible to design a wired system without seeing some nasty patent issues.

Finally... I don't think it will be an elegant solution... all new framesets are being sold as mechanical / electronic compatible. In a wireless SRAM set-up, it will have at least 4-5 plugs covering unused ports. Maybe in a custom frame... but for a production bike... this is fugly.

kman

by kman

53x12 wrote:"Since there are only two front rings, I don't think it's a big deal."

And when you want to shift chainring and cassette at the same time?

IMO, sequential shifting or bust.

Not a big concern for me, I'm happy just quickly shifting one then the other.
Testing will tell.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com