New wheel set, is wider better?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

Not really a WW issue, however here goes.... I am currently building my rigid 29er budget winter bike, and can't decide on the rim. On the one hand I mostly ride XC and my race bike runs stans crest wheels. However I quite fancy the idea of a wider rim, although it comes with a 80g weight penalty, but a 3mm wider internal width. I feel the wider rim will be stronger, which is probably good for a rigid, as well as a 'bigger' tyre profile which might add to the comfort of running rigid too.

The rims in question are pacenti cl25 and tl28, these will be laced to Superstar tesla hubs, so I'm looking at a built weight of around 1670 - 1750g. The reason for this hub choice is so I can run a 9 and 10mm thru axle. I just like them, even though QR is lighter, and if I want to WW it, the QR adaptors from Superstar are very cheap.

I am going to run them tubeless and probably with 2.25 RoRo tires. The frame is a planet X Dirty harry.

Anyway I have been scratching my head with this one for a while now and any advice would be fantastic! As I would like to order the wheels in the next couple of days (it's payday tomorrow!) The total built weight of the bike will hopefully be around the 8.5kgs mark with a 1x10 groupset.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Regardless of actual or perceived benefits, if you already have the Crest for race day, I would get the wider ones and find out what the buzz is about for myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

I think I agree with you, and the weight penalty isn't huge

grover

by grover

Wide is good...to a point. It increases the air volume but makes the tyre profile 'squarer'. As you lay it over it won't be as progressive and you'll find the tyre gives way more instantaneously.

An alternative thought. Spend the weight penalty on a wider tyre. Go a 2.4 tyre. You'll get more air volume but retain a round tyre profile.

Of course the problem then becomes a squirmy tyre if it's too big for the rim and lacks stability.

For a rigid 29 I'd be inclined to go the wider rim AND the wider tyre. The ride quality will be more beneficial than the weight detrimental. But that's me.

AdyM

by AdyM

I would like to run a wider tyre. This is my first time running full rigid, although I have ridden many trails forgetting to adjust my lockout :P but I don't want it to be too uncomfortable. Think I'll play safe with 2.25 until I can check the tyre clearance then go wider.

jimborello

by jimborello

Go wider, Im currently using the AM 27.5 Nox wheels with a 28mm internal width mainly for xc and am with 2.2 tires, and I liked them so much that I just got rid of my Enves XC and bought a set of NOX AM XC 29ers with a 29mm internal width. I could have bought the XC version but I think the 28-29mm width is very stable and the weight penalty is minimal.

climr

by climr

Yes, wider is better! Also on NOX carbon rims and would not ride anything else. You do have to balance width and weight though, as you go wider weight kind of has to go up and at some point that will negate the benefits. 28-30mm is sweet spot for AM riding, 23-26mm for XC.

AdyM

by AdyM

Thanks for all your help Guys, will be ordering all the parts tomorrow! Won't be a ridiculous WW build, but looking for around 8.5-9kgs for a rigid 29er :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com