Wide Tire Recommendations for Gravel Roads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

What is everyone running? I'm considering building a 2nd wheel set for fast touring, and we have lots of great gravel roads here in Austria.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Riding on gravel roads is fun indeed.

I for one use Schwalbe marathon supreme for that kind of use. It's not as light as a road tire but lighter than a robust trekking tire. As I want it to be bombproof as I ride at night as well, weight is not my first concern.

Compass seems to make a great all around tire, but I haven't tested them yet (http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_700C.html).

Geoff

by Geoff

I run the same tires for gravel that I run on my pave wheels: Dugast Paris-Roubaix seta 27s. They are great for gravel. The biggest issue in Canada is that the gravel can be very large diameter. This makes control an issue with road pressures in the tire. You need to run high-volume tires in order to balance low pressures required for riding the gravel and avoiding bottoming-out on the road.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Running the Challenge Almanzo here in ... Austria. Ran 22m Conti tubs and 27mm Vittoria Pavé last year, but more volume and a file thread give you so so many more options in linking up the nicer segments using unmaintained foot- and double track paths in the woods. Also lower pressure -- better grip, less scary on the downhills, they can be beyond 20% because of just being designed for 4wd/offroad vehicles.

Geoff (and everyone): most of our gravel roads are not open to general traffic -- just lumber roads and access to remote alpine places. As such they also vary a lot in quality. Most of the people use MTBs for relaxed riding, but unless you're seeking out the single track downhills, an efficient gravel/touring rig is usually faster (obviously).

Thinking a Challenge Strada Bianca might be great too, but probably needs medium reach brakes. The Almanzos are probably too big for most of the modern carbon frames already.

manninen

by manninen

Geoff wrote:I run the same tires for gravel that I run on my pave wheels: Dugast Paris-Roubaix seta 27s. They are great for gravel. The biggest issue in Canada is that the gravel can be very large diameter. This makes control an issue with road pressures in the tire. You need to run high-volume tires in order to balance low pressures required for riding the gravel and avoiding bottoming-out on the road.

url please for Dugast Paris-Roubaix seta 27s. i´ve thinked about challenge grifo 32mm cross setas shave the knobs off for more road use and clearence issues

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.a-dugast.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=en wrote:Paris Roubaix Cotton
Price: €73.00

Pro competition tube for bad surfaces. Tread structure and high-quality rubber guarantee optimum grip on both dry and wet road surfaces.

Widths: 23-25-27 mm, 28”

Pressure: 6 t/m 7.5 bar

Weight (23mm): 330g
The Paris Roubaix Silk <Seta> page, however, only shows 23-25 mm widths. So did Geoff misstate cotton as seta, or is 27 mm offered in seta, despite not being listed on the website?

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I haven't tried them, but you might look into compass tires. They have two models of 26mm tires at just above 180g. Some fairly light wider tires as well that might be suitable.

http://www.compasscycle.com/tires_700C.html

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for all the input!

I am now considering Challenge Paris-Roubaix (or Eroicas if they fit), Vittoria Pavé cg open, and simple Conti 4-Seasons 28mm. I don't want to spend more on tires than on rims, and the A23s I'll probably be getting are like 50€ apiece...

jooo

by jooo

As well as Compass, Grand Bois have some similar tyres (which is no coincidence because they are both manufactured by Panaracer).

It's not as 'nice' as the tyres it makes for others but Panaracer's Pasela comes in a range of sizes that could be suitable.

It sounds as if you're a little concerned with tyre clearance? Depending on how much room you have, a light touring tyre or CX file tread may still fit, many of them are cheaper than boutique gravel/pave tyres and can measure smaller than the stated size.

Marin

by Marin

I checked, and I don't think I'll get away with more than 28mm. My 25mm Grand Prix S are 26.2mm on my 23mm rims, and there's not much more than 3 or 4 mm clearance at the brakes...

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I am planning to have some mountain climbs, where the roads are not always tarmac. I am looking for wide tires for my bike so I will feel safe and more comfortable during.

I ride a;
- 56cm Hongfu FM06SL frame with
- Token C28A Wheelset (This set has BHS C472w rims)
- Ultegra 6800 Group with 9000 shifters and X11SL Chain

I am;
- 183cm tall
- 64kg weight

My questions are;
What are the widest tires I can fit on the bike. I once put 32C (29mm wide measured) tires but it was touching the fork a bit on the tops. It was also max at the width.

How wide are Challenge Parigi Roubaix 27mm tires on those wheels (17mm wide inside to inside). I heard many times that they are 29mm wide. Wider rims will make them wider so it will be a problem for me.

I want to use latex inner tubes with my new tires. I now am using 22/23mm Latex inner tubes on my 25mm tires. No problems. Will they flex enough to ride 27mm tires or I should buy new ones?

And the last, which tires you can recommend for me? I am thinking of Parigi Roubaix but I am open for recommendations.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

ToffieBoi: I'm guilty of not following this advice, but a little bit of clearance is good, especially when you might be facing wet conditions. But also in the dry a small piece of gravel might become stuck on the tyre after you run through animal poo or something, and get jammed in the fork. Maybe just try Conti GP4000 in 28?

(Itching to run Challenge PRs on my new build, too, but need to look at clearance as well)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Challenge strada 30mm is what I have waiting to go onto a bike. I road some gravel roads in Italy on Vittoria Pave and it was fine. Well I say gravel roads I mean roads that had turned into gravel.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

HillRPete wrote:ToffieBoi: I'm guilty of not following this advice, but a little bit of clearance is good, especially when you might be facing wet conditions. But also in the dry a small piece of gravel might become stuck on the tyre after you run through animal poo or something, and get jammed in the fork. Maybe just try Conti GP4000 in 28?

(Itching to run Challenge PRs on my new build, too, but need to look at clearance as well)

Thanks for the message. Actually that was the reason why I didn't kept riding with my old tires.
27mm Roubaix will be lower than the old tires I had, but still I am not sure. I might go Challenge Bianca, 25mm tires maybe. They should be around 27mm, since all Challenge tires are 2mm wider than they say...

So now the tires I am considering are;
- Schwalbe One 28mm - £30 - 245grams
- GP4000SII 28mm - Should be around £30 - 260grams
- Vittoria Open Pave 27mm - £33 - 280grams
- Challenge Open Strada 25mm - £37 - 260grams
- Challenge Paris Roubaix 27mm - £37 - 285grams

Schwalve One looks the cheapest and lightest now. Schwalbe says they are rolling better than old Ultremo's and more durable. Which means they are great tires.
What you guys think?
Sounds like a good deal for me...

Edit:
On one review, I saw Michelin Pro4 Service Course in 25mm measured 28mm wide on 15C wheel. Which is, nice. I have 17C rims so just a bit wider than that.

- Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm - £24 - 227grams

Price is nice. Weight is the best. I like the brand and trust them more than Schwalbes.
I think I am ordering them :)

Any objection?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For what it's worth, Gravelgrindernews reckons that the Strada Bianca has more volume than the Almanzo. I have the latter, and it's about as much as my round-tubed good clearance frame can handle, on regular-width Open Pro rims. It would surprise me if many short-reach brake frames would accommodate the Strada Bianca.

http://gravelgrindernews.com/challenge- ... pressions/

The Paris-Roubaix is probably a safer bet, but even this one is reported to not clear on a number of carbon frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com