Light 27.2 seat post options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

em3

by em3

The setback on both my Ritchey Carbon WCS seatposts (2-bolt clamp) measures out to exactly 18mm (center of post-to-center of bottom seat clamp on a 73 degrees seat tube angle)...interestingly Ritchey lists this post as 25mm offset. I just checked the website and it looks like they are offering some sizes of this carbon post in UD finish now.EM3

Doolop

by Doolop

Pro Vibe or Pro Stealth EVO

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

I suspect there is a lot of aesthetics consideration involved in the decision?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

fa63

by fa63

em3 wrote:The setback on both my Ritchey Carbon WCS seatposts (2-bolt clamp) measures out to exactly 18mm (center of post-to-center of bottom seat clamp on a 73 degrees seat tube angle)...interestingly Ritchey lists this post as 25mm offset.

I can confirm this as well; not sure how Ritchey gets 25mm setback...

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Ritchey superlogic setback post at 350mm with carbon rail kit and tuned with ti bolt = 162g
Cut down to 280mm or so = 137g - pretty light for something with no weight limit and no specific clamp zone and setback.
Also - looks pretty.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Ritchey does list their 2 bolt clamp 'Pro Carbon' as 15mm offset though.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=397710 ( Click on *Tech* tab )

kman

by kman

Hi guys, I need a 27.2mm seatpost with setback (20mm would be nice). Can be pretty short (or I can cut down a long post) so length doesn't really matter. Carbon or alloy is fine.

I'm considering the USE Alien Carbon at ~160g. Anything lighter that you'd consider good bang-for-your-buck? I can't stretch to AX or MFCK prices for this one.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

kramnnim

by kramnnim

Ritchey Superlogic is pretty light, and the steel bolt can be swapped for ti to save a few more grams...

Maybe it just takes some practice, but I found the USE Alien clamp to be very frustrating to install/adjust.

jooo

by jooo

KCNC is pretty good BFYB:
27.2x350mm

Woodman also make good value setback posts, but they're much harder to find:
Image Image

sawyer

by sawyer

I have had good luck with Ritchey WCS one bolt ... slightly lighter at low 150s.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kman

by kman

Thanks guys. Ritchey and KCNC are my "usual suspects" with items like this. In fact, I already bought a WCS Link seat post. On the website (of the store) it was listed as 109g - a bit unbelieveable but I figured it couldn't be much more than 130g or so, considering I'm ordering the smallest size. It arrived and I put it on the scales and it was 224g!!! Plus, there are so many different versions labelled "WCS" I can't even follow what is what!
The KCNC is a definite contender and I'll look into the Woodman, I've seen them in the WW Listings but very rarely actually for sale anywhere.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

jooo

by jooo

XX Cycles look like they're not restocking the Woodman posts though, same goes for RCZ who also once had most of the options. Universal has zero setback posts but none of the MZ's at all. They do seem to pop up on ebay once and a while though.

supermidget

by supermidget

USE Alien cyclops. Not the easiest to set up but definitely light and not terribly expensive.

carbon337

by carbon337

Has anyone any links to decent (safe & proven) Chinese/ebay/non branded carbon 27.2 posts? Doesn't have to be mega light as its for a winter bike/crit bike project im working on using my old snapped and repaired Cube litening.

Trying to do this one on a budget so cost is more important than really light.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

As others have commented, pretty hard to go wrong with Ritchey superlogic in 27.2 without moving into exotic pricing cattegory, "untuned" weights for these are right in the 145-150g territory.

carbon337, I've used OmniRacer seatpost (size 31.6, though) with good success, goes for around $80 on Ebay (don't know if this is "value" for you). It would be at least 10-20 grams heavier than advertised, though.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com