Unable to Get Campagnolo Spare Part

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

This company likes to think it is modern and hip, but any company that has a 3 week summer shutdown is straight from the Dark Ages. Been looking everywhere in the UK. Who would you try anywhere in the world for a Campag spare part?

Preferred: Super Record/Record Part No. BR-SR030
Acceptable: Chorus/Athena Part No. BR-CH030

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagnolo321

by campagnolo321

Google the part number mate, its worked for me in the past.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

So when the factory re-opens after break, the are going to ramp up spare parts for Valbrona? I don't correlate parts availability with Campagnolo's vacation schedule. Do you only have one bike? Maybe stockists have the parts but are just putting you on for being too whiny.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

maggierose wrote:I don't correlate parts availability with Campagnolo's vacation schedule.

So, let me run this past you a bit more slowly then ...

After trying to source this spare part from a number of UK outlets, the response is pretty much the same from each one: 'We don't have one of these spare parts in stock. However, we can order you one from Vicenza ... but not until 3 weeks because Campagnolo are on their annual summer shut-down'.

Lots of companies in Europe used to have summer shut downs. Only the backward ones still do. Maybe summer shut downs are unheard of in North America, but they are annual holidays where only the security guard turns up for work.

mattr

by mattr

LOL
You do realise that it's pretty much only the UK that doesn't have a summer shut down?

Valbrona

by Valbrona

You've never worked for a German company then. I can understand a company closing down its manufacturing facility, but more and more companies now keep their customer service and spares element alive during summer shut down.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Many manufacturing companies use the summer shutdown system as it's a lot less disruptive to the production process than allowing people to take off randomly.

A shutdown is also a useful time to make changes to a production facility or equipment.

Bikeman is useful for small parts

http://www.bikeman.com/BR9839.html
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

mattr

by mattr

Valbrona wrote:You've never worked for a German company then. I can understand a company closing down its manufacturing facility, but more and more companies now keep their customer service and spares element alive during summer shut down.
Yes, I have. Not any more. Instead I have suppliers, almost all are German (80% maybe). Almost all of them are effectively shut for a month every summer. You can usually get someone to answer the phone, that's about it.
No orders, no engineering support, no design, no manufacturing.

And my German employer had a summer shut down. The Swedish "branch" that I worked at also had a Union shut down. I'm just finishing my shut down this weekend, 7 weeks. So not technically ALL shut down..........

Maybe you should be pissed at your 24/7/53 importer, not holding stock of critical spares during a known shut down.

sungod

by sungod

Shallowhal

by Shallowhal

Valbrona wrote:
maggierose wrote:I don't correlate parts availability with Campagnolo's vacation schedule.

So, let me run this past you a bit more slowly then ...

After trying to source this spare part from a number of UK outlets, the response is pretty much the same from each one: 'We don't have one of these spare parts in stock. However, we can order you one from Vicenza ... but not until 3 weeks because Campagnolo are on their annual summer shut-down'.

Lots of companies in Europe used to have summer shut downs. Only the backward ones still do. Maybe summer shut downs are unheard of in North America, but they are annual holidays where only the security guard turns up for work.

There are plenty of companies that still have summer shutdowns and for many they make a lot of sense. The biggest problem here isn't Campagnolo, it's shops/suppliers not willing to hold stock. More and more companies don't want to hold stock because it's effectively 'dead' money. They will order in parts as and when needed. Unfortunately when a customer comes along who wants a part 'right now!' it can become a bit of an issue. Once upon a time riders used to have boxes of spares or be prepared to wait a few weeks to receive an uncommon part. How times seem to be changing.

TimW

by TimW

Lots of companies especially in the Mediterranean areas still shut down during summer. Even some UK based manufacturing companies do...like the one I work for, for the reasons stated by BikerJulio above.

The problem is that UK dealers/shops do not keep stocks of Campagnolo spares. It's crap but that's the way it is and has been for years.

Having said all that have you tried the UK service centre?: http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/camp ... cing.shtml

Or failing that, Mercian cycles.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Several points here:

There are only 2 UK retailers that can "order from Vicenza" where spares are concerned and just as a point of interest, the spares dept in Vicenza has a two week shutdown, not three or four - they are back on the 25th. Other parts of the business have a staggered shutdown, so the main sales dept (that deals with groupset components) shut last Friday for ... seven days.

The main problem is actually not the Vicenza factory closing, it's a combination of the fact that so many other companies in Italy close for significant parts of August, so many of the sub-contractors that supply to Vicenza on a JIT basis are closed, added to which, booking trailer space to ship goods on even a full load (never mind part-loads) basis is a problem - UK goods don't move to Italy as there are comparatively few goods-in depots in a state to receive them, and no one these days wants to dead-head an empty trailer back from Italy anyway.

Most of the Main National Service Centres (such as ourselves) in each country stay open, even though in many cases they are part of Campagnolo - and we are all in a position to sell spares to the trade or, in our case, to end-users: not all the Main, or indeed the subsidiary SCs deal with the public.

Most retailers don't hold stock because under European law it is very, very hard to regulate wholesale or retail price - end situation, the consumer will find it easy to buy the product at fantastically discounted prices, but the penalty for that is that few if any retailers hold spares in depth as it's just not economic - the same to a lesser extent is true of the wholesalers.

Amongst IBDs, CODE dealers and ProShops are usually notable exceptions.

So hopefully having clarified the situation, which is by no means simple - we have BR-SR030 in stock, along with about €40,000 in other spare parts ... and we are open :-)
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Valbrona

by Valbrona

graeme_f_k wrote:So hopefully having clarified the situation, which is by no means simple - we have BR-SR030 in stock, along with about €40,000 in other spare parts ... and we are open :-)

I look forward to you people responding to my email enquiry (you are seemingly not open on Saturday's). Then I will get you a cheque sent. Then I can wait 7 days for said cheque to clear, that's if you get it paid into your bank account pronto. And then you can post me the part worth less than £10. And in a couple of weeks time I might have my bike up and running again.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

No, we don't open at weekends, being available by this new-fangled internet thing - as you can see, you can contact us pretty much 24/7.

We can take a cheque, the slightly more modern, hip and up-to date alternatives of BACS or PayPal are better (though we do surcharge for PayPal), we seldom wait for cheques to clear, believing that there may be honour left in the world (despite all evidence to the contrary) ...

Sorry to be grumpy, but it is 02.11 hrs and anyway, you started it - can't see why most people don't do the obvious and contact the Service Centres first in a case like this. It would save consumers a lot of frustration and *us* a lot of time chasing issues like this around.

Send a note to velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com and we'll get an invoice out to you, possibly even (shock) on a Sunday ...

GFK
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I look forward to you people responding to my email enquiry (you are seemingly not open on Saturday's). Then I will get you a cheque sent. Then I can wait 7 days for said cheque to clear, that's if you get it paid into your bank account pronto. And then you can post me the part worth less than £10. And in a couple of weeks time I might have my bike up and running again.

Love it.

How would you send the "cheque"?

Perhaps your manservant would use your fastest steed to ride there?

Or take one of those new locomotives?

Not use the mail surely?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM