Lightest wider profile Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoro

by Zoro

Any light 25mm profile tubular tyres anyone has found?
I like the 25mm profile but the tyres are too heavy or too narrow - IMO

Here is what I know about.
I just got a set of 24mm Vittoria Cronos - claimed 185g. They are a little narrow for the 25mm rims, but will work on the front I think.
VeloFlex Records - too narrow.

Currently using FMBs but they run 250g ish.
I had some lighter FMB made without sidewall coating and thin tread. They are about 230g but hate the rain - my fault.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What rims do you have? Some wide ones are rated for 23mm tyres. Also the narrower tyres are slightly more aerodynamic. 24mm might not be the worst size.

Also, I would be really keen on any first-hand experience with the Cronos. Got a TT coming. Good roads, but not sweeped, chance of small gravel bits on the shoulders. Worth using them over SCs for race day? My interest comes from their low rolling resistance, rather than weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

HillRPete wrote:What rims do you have? Some wide ones are rated for 23mm tyres. Also the narrower tyres are slightly more aerodynamic. 24mm might not be the worst size.

Also, I would be really keen on any first-hand experience with the Cronos. Got a TT coming. Good roads, but not sweeped, chance of small gravel bits on the shoulders. Worth using them over SCs for race day? My interest comes from their low rolling resistance, rather than weight.
Mercury M5s. They are 25mm at the brake track.

To answer you:
We have used the Cronos thin ones (19?) a lot on the TT bike too and used to use them for RR but switched to Veloflex Records for RR and later the wide profile tyres.
Cronos are good tyres. For us the Cronos punctured a wee bit more than the Veloflex records on the road.
I think the Veloflex Record is slightly better made, but it is also slightly bigger. My son is a junior with gear restrictions. With the Cronos he could run 53X14, with the Veloflex he has to use the 52 in front as they are larger profile.

Running Veloflex Reocrd rear, Vittoria Crono front in this picture:Image

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks Zoro. Will be running the 24mm Cronos if I get a chance, at least in the rear. The rolling resistance tests I've seen have the Crono stand out.

Now for the front, 22mm for aerodynamics, or 24mm for rolling resistance? The course is not technical, but long, over 45km, and I will probably be running traditional width mid-deep rims (no disc allowed in the roadbike class). Not sure I can get someone to borrow me Zipps or anything modern. Avg speed will be around 40kph.

Zoro

by Zoro

HillRPete wrote:Thanks Zoro. Will be running the 24mm Cronos if I get a chance, at least in the rear. The rolling resistance tests I've seen have the Crono stand out.

Now for the front, 22mm for aerodynamics, or 24mm for rolling resistance? The course is not technical, but long, over 45km, and I will probably be running traditional width mid-deep rims (no disc allowed in the roadbike class). Not sure I can get someone to borrow me Zipps or anything modern. Avg speed will be around 40kph.

So little difference. We run thinner for the TT going 45kph Avg (pick above) , but I debate all the time about it. 24mm is pretty narrow too. I think I'd go 24mm on a road bike TT. In Feb we went 25mm on road bike with 50mm profile rims just fine. I'd decide more based on how it mounts on the rim. Zipp says 23 front, 25 rear on their same 404s 25mm brake track. I think that is weird, but I don't have a wind tunnel.