"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

above. If you want to be a pro cyclist, you either need an insatiable desire to win, or a true professionalism in the way you approach the sport. The vey best have both, in addition to natural talent. he has talent only.

There's no shame in it, but he probably shouldn't be a pro cyclist. he can still find a way to live a life and ride his bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Wow, juniors must be a lot more respectful in TX. Almost every junior I've raced with is a little prick. I can think of one exception.

boysa

by boysa

All good points, but ultimately isn't it up to the "market" to decide? In other words, his employer (or would be employers)? As long as they keep giving him a contract and paying his salary, who's to say he has to step aside?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AGW

by AGW

He's such a try-hard hipster that it's irritating. I don't know why others don't see through his fake persona bullshit. Instead, he's given adoration via social media, thus carrying on with his deliberate, insincere weirdness. God, I hate hipsters.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Well I guess I'm not alone on that one...

petepeterson

by petepeterson

boysa wrote:All good points, but ultimately isn't it up to the "market" to decide? In other words, his employer (or would be employers)? As long as they keep giving him a contract and paying his salary, who's to say he has to step aside?

That's a fair point. However we're talking about Vaughters who I can see having a serious man crush on the so-nerdy-weird-it's-cool types that he keeps him around. He seems to like his 'projects' even if they don't make sense. Like hiring Dekker who 'earned' is place in the pros via EPO and has done nothing post ban that a clear rider couldn't do but I digress... I only say this because there are so few opportunities to make a decent living from cycling that is frustrating to see someone who is proclaiming to be using racing as an excuse to get paid to ride around instagramming random roads in spain.

Rob81

by Rob81

damn, Morton in his "doco", min. 27
reminds me this guy from Gomorrah (movie)

anyway, off-season= no Cervelo?
Last edited by Rob81 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jooo

by jooo

y'all just jealous

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:i dunno bout yal, but watching that documentary made me like him even more. Kudos to him and his bro for being radical. Dudes could care less about bike racing, illest.

Then he can not race bikes. This is my point. If he doesn't care, wanted to quit, and doesn't like it then he doesn't have to do it for a living. He can keep making documentaries or doin' whatever he wants but with so few pro contracts out there it seems a bit selfish to just waste a very limited spot.

haha what do you mean 'he can't' ? It's a bit too 'ideal' to believe that the thing you do for a living , 1000% of the time you are like intoit? Heck even my desk job , im like eh about it sometimes, but gotta pay the bills. Not going to BS people whether friends, family, or coworkers (or politely to a manager) at times that it's rough. Seems like he's pretty honest about his feelings and marks to him, he kept going when he thought about quitting. I'd rather listen to this hip dude describing the realities of bike racing and the mental stress, rather than robots reading some script handed to them. It's not as if LM is saying his team is crap and his manager is crap.

i mean i dont know this bro personally, but he seems like if the pro contract dries up, he'd OK with that and just do other stuff that isn't bike racing. Seems like a normal person decision.

boysa wrote:All good points, but ultimately isn't it up to the "market" to decide? In other words, his employer (or would be employers)? As long as they keep giving him a contract and paying his salary, who's to say he has to step aside?

yea, it's not like we are giving him the contracts. If another team wants to give him a contract, so be it. If garmin wants to end his contract, so be it. Doesn't seem like LM is stressing.

yal are funny about this thing where he's holding up someone's spot who 'wants it more'. There are plenty of pro dudes who 'want it more' and their not-hipster persona still sucks, who i wish others could take their place in said limelight.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i'm all for interesting, sometimes weird personalities and characters in pro sport. it makes things much more interesting. and real - when you see guys and gals "gifted" with quite same attributes as us, the civilians. there's a common perception ahtletes are some uber-people, living in world free of flaws so widespread among the 'normal' society. although my hipster'o'meter senses BS whenever i see a bearded (in this case - 'stashed) fella playing a FB/ingram princess, i'd rather watch and listen to what he has to say about the sport than e.g. Froome's automatic responses.

there's also a certain 'cool factor' present with them, that's appealing at least to some people, and may attract sponsors, fans, etc., who'd never care about pro cycling otherwise
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Antoine

by Antoine

Looks like Cavendish has not recovered yet, he didn't sprint at the first stage of the Tour de l'Ain.
It would have been the easiest sprint of the year for him, R.Kreder won and the second is not even a pro , only a FDJ stagiaire coming from the armee.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-d ... -1/results

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Garmin Barracuda's Raymond Kreder from the Netherlands takes a wet cloth on board to cool himself down in the trying conditions whilst in the breakaway.

I didnt see the race but that looks odd :)

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:
KWalker wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:i dunno bout yal, but watching that documentary made me like him even more. Kudos to him and his bro for being radical. Dudes could care less about bike racing, illest.

Then he can not race bikes. This is my point. If he doesn't care, wanted to quit, and doesn't like it then he doesn't have to do it for a living. He can keep making documentaries or doin' whatever he wants but with so few pro contracts out there it seems a bit selfish to just waste a very limited spot.

haha what do you mean 'he can't' ? It's a bit too 'ideal' to believe that the thing you do for a living , 1000% of the time you are like intoit? Heck even my desk job , im like eh about it sometimes, but gotta pay the bills. Not going to BS people whether friends, family, or coworkers (or politely to a manager) at times that it's rough. Seems like he's pretty honest about his feelings and marks to him, he kept going when he thought about quitting. I'd rather listen to this hip dude describing the realities of bike racing and the mental stress, rather than robots reading some script handed to them. It's not as if LM is saying his team is crap and his manager is crap.

i mean i dont know this bro personally, but he seems like if the pro contract dries up, he'd OK with that and just do other stuff that isn't bike racing. Seems like a normal person decision.

yea, it's not like we are giving him the contracts. If another team wants to give him a contract, so be it. If garmin wants to end his contract, so be it. Doesn't seem like LM is stressing.

yal are funny about this thing where he's holding up someone's spot who 'wants it more'. There are plenty of pro dudes who 'want it more' and their not-hipster persona still sucks, who i wish others could take their place in said limelight.

Well, like LM I didn't care for my last line of work. It paid the bills, but in the end there were a lot of people that wanted my job, I didn't, my performance and motivation waned eventually so I quit and got another job that didn't cause the mental strain. His performance this year has been piss poor/non-existent and I'm sure that will influence his contract terms or if he stays in the game. He doesn't have 6 kids at home and is working 12hrs a day to barely scrape by- he's got enough spare time and cash that he can buy custom ti bikes and go ride around with his friends and blog about it. He's also clearly got natural talent so its not a lack of ability.

What I hate hearing from almost anyone that does not 100% need their job to be out on the streets is a bunch of complaining when they do not try to change their situation. Not everyone can easily, but to me this is like co-workers getting together to bitch and moan at a happy hour but not actually working on or off the job to try and fix the problems. Does anyone think that his lack of performance and attitude would be tolerated elsewhere? It hasn't at quite a bit other teams.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

He's only 22. Most kids do and say stupid shit at that age. Since his late teens he's been living away from family and friends and had most his life planned out for him. I'd say its a combination of several things factors that have given him the "f@#k it attitude". I'm sure his brother will sort him out.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

djconnel

by djconnel

Antoine wrote:Looks like Cavendish has not recovered yet, he didn't sprint at the first stage of the Tour de l'Ain.http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-d ... -1/results

He was 9th in the prologue, however!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com