Which clincher with gum walls that is solid for punctures

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am about to buy a Veloflex Master 23 pair of tyres. I am reading that is has no puncture protection though which makes me hesitant to push the button, since they will be used on a steel bike for audaxes.

I want the tyre to have this classic look for aesthetic reasons so I would appreciate any suggestion for tyre with a gum wall.

If the masters are ok in practice ... fine by me.

fletch62

by fletch62

Challenge Strada or Stada Bianca, Grand Bois Cerf green or blue label.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

The grand bois look nice. U tried them?

For the Challenge I read some quality issues ... do they stand ?

Bike is used for audaxes so I would like to be solid in performance taking in consideration the gum walls characteristics.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Depends on the road conditions a bit.

Conti has a special edition of the 4000 with pale sidewalls. No personal experience but this is a well known product.

For gravel riding I've been using Challenge tyres. Their PPS-2 puncture protection seems to work fine. Paris-Roubaix Open might be a choice for rougher conditions.

If the conditions are relatively good, the Vittoria Open Corsa SC might be worth a look. Been really liking the tubulars this season.

Edit: fletch -- Strada Biancas might not clear on tight short reach road frames.
Last edited by HillRPete on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I've been using the Grand Bois Blue Cerf on my commute - they've held up pretty well, despite already being quite worn.

Clearance can be tight with some setups though - they're 26c.

Stefano

by Stefano

I have 5000 miles on a veloflex master 23 rear- just killed it on a 50 mile dirt ride yesterday. They say that they don't have puncture protection, but I got 2 flats that entire time, and one of them was a pinch flat that nicked my rim. They literally had to go bald before I needed to replace them. Favorite tire by a huge margin atm

Zoro

by Zoro

Kupepe wrote:Hello,

I am about to buy a Veloflex Master 23 pair of tyres. I am reading that is has no puncture protection though which makes me hesitant to push the button, since they will be used on a steel bike for audaxes.

I want the tyre to have this classic look for aesthetic reasons so I would appreciate any suggestion for tyre with a gum wall.

If the masters are ok in practice ... fine by me.
My son uses that as his training tyre and says they are almost like riding tubulars. He has had 1 flat (staple through centre) in 6 months and rides 300K plus a week.
I used them for 2 months / 600K and no flats, but switched to tubular tyres.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Veloflex it is ... thanx

AGW

by AGW

Yeah, don't be scared of Veloflex. I had the same hesitance reading so many puncture stories, but I can't even find cuts on my masters. I've had sharp rocks popping out from underneath the tires left and right, ran over some huge brick-shaped chunk of wood, sand/gravel rain run-off from our monsoon rains, etc. and they still look new.

For piece of mind, buy a gel-type superglue or rubber compound to fill in cuts as they appear.

Zoro

by Zoro

For puncture proof - hard to beat the Continental Gator skin. But you asked for gum wall and the Veloflex ride is superior.

djconnel

by djconnel

I also like the Gran Bois. The newer Compass tires are probably even better. The strada Bianca are also really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Gator skin punctures gone through several, gator skin hardshell not that's a tyre once its on is not coming off in a hurry.