Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gte534j

by gte534j

Dave,
I saw this article recently:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/04/201 ... ed-freaks/
and they said that the AR2 and the FRD have the same textreme carbon frames. However, the surface layer on the AR2 does not have the characteristic check board look like the FRD. Is there another type of textreme? I am just trying to determine the difference between the 2015 AR2 and the 2015 FRD frameset before making a purchase.
Thanks,
Ian

kenshinvt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:The AR5 does not use the same material as the AR1 and the gap between the AR1 and AR5 is a bit bigger in 2015 in terms of the material.
The AR1 and AR5 have the same stiffness and aerodynamic qualities. They use the same molds. It isn't like the S-series from Cervelo or the Propel from Giant. The wind doesn't know what materials or group you're running or how much you spent on your frame.

Dave, since you commented on the topic, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the differences on the 2015 AR1/2 vs AR FRD framesets. Since the Textreme has trickled down to the AR1/2 for MY15, one would expect the differences to have shrunk considerably. Weights, frameset part specs, etc. anything that you'd have to share would be interesting to hear. And on that note, weight difference between the AR2 down to the 3/5 below would be nice as well. It seems like weight is key if the stiffness is the same between framesets and they are shaped in the same molds.

Thanks!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

gte534j wrote:Dave,
I saw this article recently:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/08/04/201 ... ed-freaks/
and they said that the AR2 and the FRD have the same textreme carbon frames. However, the surface layer on the AR2 does not have the characteristic check board look like the FRD. Is there another type of textreme? I am just trying to determine the difference between the 2015 AR2 and the 2015 FRD frameset before making a purchase.
Thanks,
Ian

kenshinvt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:The AR5 does not use the same material as the AR1 and the gap between the AR1 and AR5 is a bit bigger in 2015 in terms of the material.
The AR1 and AR5 have the same stiffness and aerodynamic qualities. They use the same molds. It isn't like the S-series from Cervelo or the Propel from Giant. The wind doesn't know what materials or group you're running or how much you spent on your frame.

Dave, since you commented on the topic, I was wondering if you could elaborate on the differences on the 2015 AR1/2 vs AR FRD framesets. Since the Textreme has trickled down to the AR1/2 for MY15, one would expect the differences to have shrunk considerably. Weights, frameset part specs, etc. anything that you'd have to share would be interesting to hear. And on that note, weight difference between the AR2 down to the 3/5 below would be nice as well. It seems like weight is key if the stiffness is the same between framesets and they are shaped in the same molds.

Thanks!

The 2015 AR2 is painted. Raw the AR2 and AR FRD would look the same but the carbon fiber material is actually different. They both use TeXtreme fibers now but among other differences the FRD frame uses TeXtreme 76 whereas the AR1 and AR2 use TeXtreme 100. The forks are identical in material in lay up on the AR FRD, AR1, and AR2 though.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

ultyguy wrote:Any euro weenies gotten a hold of the lower headset topper? Can't track one down :-(

Would have thought they'd be pretty easy to order through your dealer. Failing that any 1 1/8th headset cap would work.

Dave do you have any pictures of the 2015 AR1? Just curious to see the differences.

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

I'm about to pick up a 2014 AR3 EPS and had a question regarding the rear brake. Since it's a Campy bike, does that mean that the Felt branded rear direct mount brake uses Campy pads also? Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Nismo4x4 wrote:I'm about to pick up a 2014 AR3 EPS and had a question regarding the rear brake. Since it's a Campy bike, does that mean that the Felt branded rear direct mount brake uses Campy pads also? Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

The brake is a TRP T750 and we use the TRP pad holders which follow the Shimano standard.
The front brake uses the Campagnolo brake pad holders on their center mount aero brake.

Yes, the pads front and rear cannot be interchanged.

You could swap the cartridge entire unit (front or rear) so they can be the same.

That's an awesome bike by the way and a rare find. We only sold that model in the USA. That was the lightest OEM frame we made in 2014 with the exception of the AR FRD.

-SD

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Quick questions:
I've never used Campy before, is there a specific cartridge to either convert the Campy brakes to Shimano pads or the TRP to Campy?
Also, the AR3 frame is the same as the AR 1 and 2, right?
Lastly, what's the best way for me to run a carbon railed saddle on this bike since it comes with the VR seatpost, the Difflock oval rail kit on the website?

Thanks again!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Nismo4x4 wrote:Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Quick questions:
I've never used Campy before, is there a specific cartridge to either convert the Campy brakes to Shimano pads or the TRP to Campy?
Also, the AR3 frame is the same as the AR 1 and 2, right?
Lastly, what's the best way for me to run a carbon railed saddle on this bike since it comes with the VR seatpost, the Difflock oval rail kit on the website?

Thanks again!

Yes, you can just buy a set of Shimano compatible complete pads and install them on the front campy brake.
or
You can buy a set of campy pads and put them on the TRP rear.

I'd recommend getting complete shimanos because they've got more aftermarket options.

-SD

trilocus

by trilocus

I found this when i was cleaning my ar frd frameset, could be a fissure? Could be covered by warranty??

natiedean24

by natiedean24

It might be easier to tell if you could post a better picture.

trilocus

by trilocus

yes i know the photo looks better in my phone. I will made another photo and i post

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I really don't mean to come off like a jerk, but I find it really odd when people post on internet forums asking about potential frame warranty issues. I'd suggest contacting the shop or manufacturer. They are the only people that can answer the "could this be a warranty?" question.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

trilocus wrote:I found this when i was cleaning my ar frd frameset, could be a fissure? Could be covered by warranty??

That I'm 99.44% sure was caused when some debris got pick up by the tire and tumbled over the small gap between the tire and seat tube then was ejected. There is almost zero load on that part of the seat tube. I have a couple of those scratches on my IA that has a 27mm rear tire and minimal gap.

-SD

natataka

by natataka

looking for the lowest possible headset. what are you guys using? what does the frd or ar2 use?

upside

by upside

Ordering a AR2 and going to make a few changes... a bit EXCITED. Looks like an awesome bike for 2015!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

natataka wrote:looking for the lowest possible headset. what are you guys using? what does the frd or ar2 use?

You can use the lower portion of the VariableHeight two piece cone spacer which gives you only 4.3mm stack.
Or you can go Ryder Hesjedal style and run nothing above the compression ring.

-SD