Best modulating brake pads for carbon wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thprice

by thprice

Tried both Reynolds Blue and Swissstop Black Prince pads on Farsports FSL24-TM rims.
  • Reynolds Blue - lasted 4800 km, good consistent braking throughout their life, good modulation.
  • Swissstop Black Prince - lasted 1800 km, very slightly stronger braking but significantly poorer modulation than the Reynolds Blue, grabby
As expected, when wet, both pads had some performance degradation, but nothing to differentiate them.
There was probably a little more life in the Black Prince pads, but I wanted to get back to the Reynolds Blue pads.
For me, a clear winner (Reynolds Blue): While a whisker weaker in braking performance than Black Prince, they have significantly better modulation and their life is also far superior.
Also tried Swissstop Yellow quite a while ago .. compared to Blue and Black Prince .. belong in the bin!!
Me: 79 kg, in the 6600 km trial, did around 100,000 m ascents and the same descents, brakes: KCNC C7.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wrcompositi

by wrcompositi

thprice wrote:Tried both Reynolds Blue and Swissstop Black Prince pads on Farsports FSL24-TM rims.
  • Reynolds Blue - lasted 4800 km, good consistent braking throughout their life, good modulation.
  • Swissstop Black Prince - lasted 1800 km, very slightly stronger braking but significantly poorer modulation than the Reynolds Blue, grabby
As expected, when wet, both pads had some performance degradation, but nothing to differentiate them.
There was probably a little more life in the Black Prince pads, but I wanted to get back to the Reynolds Blue pads.
For me, a clear winner (Reynolds Blue): While a whisker weaker in braking performance than Black Prince, they have significantly better modulation and their life is also far superior.
Also tried Swissstop Yellow quite a while ago .. compared to Blue and Black Prince .. belong in the bin!!
Me: 79 kg, in the 6600 km trial, did around 100,000 m ascents and the same descents, brakes: KCNC C7.

Hi, theprice, I have Farsports rims and their own blue pads are pretty good for my use(although they squeal sometimes), how do you compare the performance of Farsports' pads to Reynolds'?

thprice

by thprice

Have not tried the Farsports pads.

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

I got a set of 50mm deep 23mm wide carbon tubs (Gigantex rims I believe) on Chris King hubs from Wheelsmith.co.uk last year. Loving the wheels but a while back during a bit of changing wheels in the dark, I left a couple of the brake pads that came with it behind. So I went ahead and bought some yellow SwissStop brakes as I find the green ones unbeatable on alloy rims and hoped the yellow would do the same for carbon.

Had no problem with them on rolling terrain but on Saturday I did a lot of climbing and they were very poor on the descents - incredibly loud screeching noises, enough to freak out everyone in my group so I dropped back and descended solo. Think there's some residue on the braking surface - what's best for cleaning that?

What are the best pads folks have found for these rims?

cajer

by cajer

Either a scotch bright pad or crazily enough an old hard eraser works on getting residue off. Additionally swiss stop black prince works pretty well on most rims

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Many, me included, like Reynolds Blue pads on various generic rims for their flawless performance. Have not used them on Gigantex specifically, though. Price is very good compared to SwissStop as well. For me the yellows were quite noisy too, much better with the blues.

Regardless what you end up with, ensure Wheelsmith approves its use.
Last edited by HillRPete on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wetpaint

by wetpaint

Reynolds blue. They're much better than SS yellow or black on Gigantex rims.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

I have found the Reynolds Blue the best on my Gigantex rims ad well. Tried the yellows with experiences like yours (you can sand the glaze off the pads and the squealing will subside until the glazing occurs again. Also tried Zipp cork and Black Prince. Blues give the best feel and best performance overall. I'm running 2006 Record brakes also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

RC856

by RC856

Hi,

I got a set of wheels from Wheelsmith last month and Derek no longer recommends the yellow SwissStop.
Black Prince now and I've found them good so far...wet and dry.
Last edited by RC856 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Equinox are the Gigantex approved pads.

RC856

by RC856

5 8 5 wrote:Equinox are the Gigantex approved pads.

I'd read that but Wheelsmith supply cork pads (are these the Equinox) or upgrade to the Black Prince.
OP....if in doubt, send Derek an e-mail. He replies pretty quickly :)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

No, I got rubber Equinox pads with my Gigantex wheels from Derek last year.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

After trying a few Campagnolo carbon pads are just fanstastic - good modulation and bite. They even work in the wet which surprised me a lot and They do not seem to wearing the rim either. Maybe give these ago. All those cheap pads that come with various far eastern rims seem to be pretty useless in comparison. I know what pads I am supplying now.

sawyer

by sawyer

bm0p700f wrote:After trying a few Campagnolo carbon pads are just fanstastic - good modulation and bite. They even work in the wet which surprised me a lot and They do not seem to wearing the rim either. Maybe give these ago. All those cheap pads that come with various far eastern rims seem to be pretty useless in comparison. I know what pads I am supplying now.

Yes, campag are good. Bit harder than reynolds but stop well.

Reynolds blue and ENVE - for power -also good
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

podilatis23 wrote:Just to know guys enve guarantee is not valid if you use swisstop. I used swisstop yellow with my enve rim and when i had a problem with the rims they told me that the reason was the swisstop brake pads. Finally, they didn't help me and i bought a new corima rim.
The enve rims was only 6 month old.....

This is same with all rims. You can't just mix any brake pad to a carbon rim. You must ask what brake pads you are allowed to use or warranty is void.
Corima says the warranty is gone if you use other than their pads. With SwissStop you damage the brake track on Corima wheels.
Why do people never learn and never read this when they buy new wheels?
Amazing!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com