ICAN AC066 (FM-066SL) build - all parts w pics and weights!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Latest update: Got the bike under 6kg with more Red parts and light tires and tubes, and back over 6 again by switching to the fastest tires available - now 6065 grams:

Update: Finished pics!

Hi everyone!

Inspired by other builds here and on other forums, I became interested in open mould genes and decided to convert my old school BMX (Redline RL20-II) and my DSLR equipment into a light road bike and a smaller, cheaper camera.

This means once the parts arrive, I'll have new equipment and fresh motivation to provide pics for this thread.

Ican were the fastest to respond to my mails, so I purchased the frame and some parts from them. I dealt with a woman called Seki who couldn't have been more helpful. There were some smaller misunderstandings, but nothing that would put me off from buying there again. I also got custom pictures for everything I inquired about - e.g. side views for the handlebars so I could judge the drop shape, etc.

On one side, if they had a more professional web site with better pics, prices and options, much of the back-and-forth wouldn't have been necessary, but then again dealing with a real person on the other side of the world definitely made the process feel much more special and peasant in my case.

In the end, my order was an AC066 frame set containing frame, fork, ican-branded headset, seat post and seat clamp, three bottle cages, and a "HB004" handlebar.

I missed the saddle I wanted to have - I didn't decide right away, and when I wanted to confirm my order the next day, Seki told me that someone had ordered 100 pieces and they were now sold out. Something similar almost happened with the bars - they had one left, and I was told that another salesperson had sold it to someone else, but for some reason I still got it in the end.

I ordered right before the Chinese new year, and when I asked for a tracking number right after the holiday, the frame had already cleared customs at the exact value ican had declared the box and was waiting for me at the post office.

Here are some pics, and I'll follow up with weights soon:

Any questions re parts or process, please ask!

-Marin
Attachments
AC066 frame & fork
AC066 frame & fork
AC066 frame & fork
AC066 frame & fork
AC066 parts
AC066 parts
Last edited by Marin on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pavaobg

by pavaobg

Good start!

Marin

by Marin

As promised, here's the first batch of weights. I also just got the shipping notification for the rest of the components, and I'm planning to weigh & post every single part that goes on this build.

For now, here's most of the stuff I got from Ican. Headset, bottle cages and individual seatpost parts to follow.

Ican AC066 frame 56cm UD matte - 895 grams including RD hanger and FD mount

Ican AC066 fork uncut - 358 grams

Ican AC066 seatpost 27.2mm - 174 grams

Ican HB004 420mm handlebars - 218 grams

Cheers,
Marin
Attachments
Ican HB004  420mm handlebars - 218 grams
Ican HB004 420mm handlebars - 218 grams

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Looking good so far :) subscribing for updates.

Marin

by Marin

Some more small stuff:

Kalloy Uno 7 110mm stem - 109 grams. Steel bolts. This has to be one of the best deals out there - 26$ including shipping! It's more like 114mm center-center, so I guess the 110 are measured at a 90 degree angle to the steerer? If it feels too long I'll just get a 100mm one, but my bars don't have a lot of reach I think.

Ican (Neco?) tapered headset - 73 grams. The lower bearing is a tight fit in the frame cup, but I didn't do a proper installation attempt yet. I am considering slotting the fork cone - any experiences with that?

Ican (Neco?) headset expander - 40 grams. A behemoth. If the build ends up too heavy, this is a cheap place to save a few grams. Same goes for the cap.

Ican headset top cap and steel bolt - 16 grams

Ican AC066 seat clamp - 19 grams. Also not the lightest or prettiest, but spending any amount of money to save 9 grams doesn't make sense at this stage.

And finally:
Ican MBC023 bottle cage - 17 grams. The bottle cage bolts are 6 grams per pair including washers. I'm really happy with the cages, and they are incredibly cheap compared to heavier branded ones. I usually only need one.

Attachments
Kalloy Uno 7 110mm stem - 109 grams
Kalloy Uno 7 110mm stem - 109 grams
Ican (Neco?) tapered headset - 73 grams
Ican (Neco?) tapered headset - 73 grams
Ican (Neco?) headset expander - 40 grams
Ican (Neco?) headset expander - 40 grams
Ican AC066 seat clamp - 19 grams
Ican AC066 seat clamp - 19 grams
Ican MBC023 bottle cage - 17 grams
Ican MBC023 bottle cage - 17 grams

pavaobg

by pavaobg

Good start!

djm

by djm

Looking forward to seeing this one built up :)

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Excellent! I've been thinking of going through HongFu for their FM066sl. I hadn't thought about Ican. Were the prices similar between the two companies?

Also, what frame size did you get?

Marin

by Marin

Syncmaster, I had better communication with Ican so I went with them. I think the prices are the same. It's a 56 frame.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Any updates on this build?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Any news on this build?

Marin

by Marin

Ugh, I should really post an update. I have pics for all the parts, and have been riding the bike since end of February, but I don't have a good photo of the finished article.

I'll try to take one next week :)

PuroScattista

by PuroScattista

what is the update? curious as well. Love the hard numbers here to see real world weights

Marin

by Marin

SRAM Force 22 chainring bolts - 9 of 10, 1 stays in the big ring - 10 grams

SRAM Force 22 GXP compact outer 50t chainring - 126 grams. Note that it has a threaded insert to limit aftermarket chainring compatibility. Not stopping me from considering a Stronglight or BOR 50t to drop 30g and maybe improve shifting.

SRAM Force 22 GXP compact inner 34t chainring - 28 grams

SRAM Force 22 GXP 175mm compact right crank arm and spider - 326 grams. I really like the look of the crankset, and that it's carbon.

SRAM Force 22 GXP 175mm compact left crank arm - 185 grams

Marin

by Marin

SRAM Force 22 Shift and Brake cables. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. In the weight weenies listings, full cable sets are given at a weight that is close to double than what my nothing-special set weighed in at. Savings for Aican Bungarus or Nokon thus are nowhere near as much as I feared. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the person who posted the exaggerated weights deals with light parts 8) :lol: :roll:

In the 3rd pic, this is what my SRAM Force 22 shift cable looked like after it had been threaded through the SRAM 22 Double Tap and SRAM housing once. I threw it away and got some Ultegra cables instead.

Forgot to take a pic of the rear brake cable weight, but it was only very slightly more than the front.

Total shift and brake cable & housing weight after trimming is probably around 130 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com