Light weight Aluminum Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LionelB

by LionelB

Campy Shamal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

supermidget

by supermidget

Any feelings on the American Classic CR-420s? Should be more aero than most relatively lightweight alu clinchers.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

stripes wrote:11-speed compatible
Lightweight
No PowerTap needed as I'm considering a Stages
Looks pretty :D
Budget ~$1k USD would be nice but if < $2k can get me something arguably nicer I'd consider it

Although not the lightest rim, I think the Pacenti SL23 is the all around performance leader. With an Alchemy front hub, DT240 rear and CX-Rays you'd be looking at ~1420g and a little over $1k.
formerly rruff...

bombertodd

by bombertodd

supermidget wrote:Any feelings on the American Classic CR-420s? Should be more aero than most relatively lightweight alu clinchers.

I'd pass. Super narrow and the profile looks like it's lacking in aerodynamics (shape seems to matter more than pure height). I'd guess that the Pacenti SL 23, Kinlin 279, or Flo 30 would all beat that rim. For the $800 the 420's sell for I'd pick a rim and lace it to some nice white industry hubs.

stripes

by stripes

WMW wrote:
stripes wrote:11-speed compatible
Lightweight
No PowerTap needed as I'm considering a Stages
Looks pretty :D
Budget ~$1k USD would be nice but if < $2k can get me something arguably nicer I'd consider it

Although not the lightest rim, I think the Pacenti SL23 is the all around performance leader. With an Alchemy front hub, DT240 rear and CX-Rays you'd be looking at ~1420g and a little over $1k.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for the different hubs?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

supermidget wrote:Any feelings on the American Classic CR-420s? Should be more aero than most relatively lightweight alu clinchers.

I ran a handbuilt set of the older, black 420s for a few years. Got the parts for a steal, had a set built with AC hubs and 18/24 spokes in traditional radial/2x lacing. They are not bad wheels if you get a good price. Certainly felt very fast and snappy. The asking price is quite high for what they are, though.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

stripes wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the reason for the different hubs?

The Alchemy OrcUL isn't available. The two I picked are good for price-weight-reliability, if you are ok with black. You could also look at Tune, but QC seems to have been spotty lately.
formerly rruff...

JamesC

by JamesC

Hi all,

I am in the market for some alloy clinchers for some hilly road rides in North wales. What is considered light weight. Sensible money only ie £500 ish.

Ta

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Shimano C-24's are very light , in your price range and probably the best value for your money. I've used them for about one year putting on roughly 5000 miles in that time. Can't praise them enough.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

JamesC

by JamesC

Thanks, is that the c24 rs81 or the c24 9000 you were referring to?

I was also considering the race 24 from wheelsmith.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

At that budget, its a no brainer:

Cero AR30

Had it on my last built (6.7kg for an ultegra bike and a heavy fame). With the change from the AR30, get yourself some conti supersonic 50g tubes and some good light weight tyres (just recently opened a can of worms on this subject in another thread, check it out. I'm going Mich's Pro4 comp).

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

JamesC wrote:Thanks, is that the c24 rs81 or the c24 9000 you were referring to?

I was also considering the race 24 from wheelsmith.

c-24 9000. The rs81 is a great choice if you are on a lower budget. similar construction but a tad heavier.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

JamesC

by JamesC

I weigh 70kg. Have you a link to the Stan wheels?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You could go with handbuilts you know. Pacenti SL23 rims 18H front 24R laced to Dura Ace 9000 hubs (the 18H front is due at the end of decemeber) would weight 1470g if built with sapim lasers and alloy nipples. If Novatec A291/F282 SB-SL hubs (20H front) weighs in at 1370g -1400g. White Industries T11 hubs are another option and a 18F/24R build would weight 1435g maybe abit less as most SL23 rims seem to be 435g or so at present.

Ryde Pulse Sprint rims 20F/28R with a offset drilling rim rear with White Industries T11 hubs would weigh (with sapim laser spokes/alloy nipples) 1355g.

All of these wheels would suit a lightish rider which you are. That what I would do. All of the above wheels are stiffer than C24's just as aerodynamic and as light. Win Win especially as non of the parts are propriorery and therefore can be repaired more cheaply.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamesC

by JamesC

Thanks, bm0p700f

I was looking at these any thoughts? http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/stan ... ztr-alpha/

Had a look at your site, how much do the below cost?

Ryde Pulse Sprint rims 20F/28R with a offset drilling rim rear with White Industries T11 hubs would weigh (with sapim laser spokes/alloy nipples) 1355g.

I must confess to not knowing much about all this other than I am looking for a light weight wheel. Seems 1300g is a good weight for an alloy clincher in this price range.