Aluminium tubular wheelsets - Reasonably light and durable

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racingcondor

by racingcondor

(Edit - Re Crono) Also the rim is maybe too narrow and too shallow - too much of a noodles?

So I guess something heavier, more modern and with less number of spokes, with boombproof hubs that manage winter and wet conditions without hesitation is probably the best idea. Also I wanted them mainly as a wheels to wet conditions, so breaking performance is a big deal.

Not sure that width is a big issue on shallow Alu tub rims. Unlike a clincher the rim width isn't defining the shape of the tyre. That said, I don't think the Crono is strong enough.

Major Tom is more a Cross rim than a road rim so I'd go with the Velicity Escape or the Kinlin.

My perfect wheel for what you're after would probably be DA9000, 24/28 to the Escape (DA are the best hubs I've used, very tough, reasonable weight and easy to maintain). The Kinlin would do just as well but would add about 30g per rim.

LouisN

by LouisN

The Velocity Escape is a tiny and fragile rim compared to the kinlin TB25 though.
Plus you need to have 8 to 12 more spokes (24/28 or more) with the Escape to achieve the same solidity IMO, so the weight penalty isn't exactly just rim weight.

I'm building a 18/20 TB25 wheelset with CX Rays and WI H3 rear ( weighs about the same as a Dura Ace rear hub) for a 47kg rider (my daughter). It should come around 1350 g. I will for shure try them in various conditions to see how they hold up under my 76 kg.

I never had to true my 20/24 TB 25's in more than 7000 km's all-condition training and racing.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HakeemT

by HakeemT

A +1 for the TB25 here as well.

Have a 24/28 set on Novatec A291/F482 with DT spokes (Revolution front and NDS, Competition on DS) for a total of 1438 grams.
Great wheelset, very sturdy, low cost (<$350), that I use mainly for crits.

In line with what LouisN is saying, you could quite easily build a 1300 gram wheelset with these rims, as they're strong and do not need that many spokes (depending on weight / riding conditions of course).

mentok

by mentok

my tb25s also ride great (very stiff): 24h rad laser front, 28h 2x comp rear under my ~90kg.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Great info guys! I wanted to ask about Velocity Escape and you had answered all this. So the rim choice seems to be the final for a moment - unless I found HED C2 for hell of a deal.

The spokes seems to be clear as well. Either go with Sapim Laser or CX Ray. That depends how pricy the hubs are gonna be. But how many spokes to use? I guess front either 20 or 24, and radial lacing will be fine with TB25? The rear I should go with 28 2x, or 28 (2x drive, radial non-drive)? Will that be stiff enough? The set doesn't have to be overly stiff, but rather responsive. Good for climbing, but also forgiving a little on the rough roads.

But main problem seems to be the hubs. I wanted to go with ball bearings way, but for a decent price I managed only to seek Campa Records, but these are 32h both. That sucks. Dura-Ace 9000 is maybe to expensive... So do you guys know hubs around 200euro or less that tick all my boxes? Maybe I would have do do cartridge, but lets see what is available...

Thanks all of you, specially to you Louis!

racingcondor

by racingcondor

LouisN -

I've not used the TB25 but if you can manage a spoke count that low then they're a very different rim! My Escapes are great but as I mention in my original post they're 2x 28/28 (just because those were the hubs I had). If I was building from scratch I'd still go 24/28 though.

I'll have to get some TB25's some time. Cheers for the info.

LouisN

by LouisN

What groupset are you running (Shimano/Sram 10 or 11 or Campagnolo 11) ?

@racingcondor, I saw once or twice a Velocity Escape rim with 18h (on a front CX wheel !!!), but even below 28 holes it's very hard to find, usually available as 28, 32H in north america.

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

Louis: I am currently running Shimano 11spd. My weight is around 71-72kg and I would prefer to buy hubs from europe shop to avoid any customs fee if possible.

Thanks!

LouisN

by LouisN

I understand the "fees" dilemma, as we're also stuck with huge taxes here.

It all comes even for us when we buy from europe, they take off the VAT, but when the goods enter customs, we're charged for customs fees and state taxes.

In europe, at that price, besides DT Swiss 340, I don't see many "durable" options available with 20/24 holes.
In the sealed bearing department, I heard good thing about Hope Mono RS hubs, about durability and how they're adapted to northern climate, and they make all drillings now :) . Heard they're loud though....

I've been wanting a set for quite some time, but they only made 28 or 32 holes at the time...

With the budget you have, you can build a very nice set at around 1450 g.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

As a slight aside, which rim do you think is stiffer, the HED C2 or the TB-25? I'm looking to build a similar set to the OP, but weigh around 90kg, so stiffness is a bit of an issue. Was hoping to run 24 spokes on the front and 28 on the rear, but don't think this will hold up without a really stiff rim.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

These have been my everyday wheel for the last ~2,900 miles and haven't missed a beat through the abuse I've thrown at them.
BHS TB415w rims, SLF71w front hub, UL190 rear hub and Mac Aero360 spokes, 1295g. Probably hard to source these parts in Europe, but for those in NA looking for alloy tubs it is an inexpensive option.

LouisN

by LouisN

I never used HED C2 rims....sadly :(. They're on my wish list for another build, but not at $125. a piece...

So can't speak for the HED version, but I wouldn't have any problem with recommending a 24/28h TB25 build to you, with solid spokes.

Wookiopolis: NIce wheels, the SC's are 25 mm ?
I built close to a dozen wheelsets with BHS hubs and they're all very good.
A BHS "kit" can be a good option at a competitive price, even with customs in DK :) .

Here's the one I just built yesterday (1358g):

Last edited by LouisN on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Louis, yes the SC's are 25mm. The rear has since ceased to be and proved extremely difficult to remove, so that speaks well to a 25mm tire's fitment on this rim.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One of the wheelsets I build is the Ambrosio F20 rim front 28H or 32H and the Ambrosio Montreal on the rear 32H.

A 32H build with the F20 on the rear with DT Swiss hubs will not be stiff -period. I have done a couple 32H F20 rear build with hubs that give better bracing angles and I am not happy with then, The customers are and as far as I know they are still going strong but I won't do another.

A 32H build with the F20/montreal rim and DA9000 hubs would be just perfect.

As for good sealed hubs in 20F/24R drilling there is miche Primato's. I buy them of miche for wheel building 50 pairs at a time. Very good hubs but at 435g not so light. Cheap though.

twoyacks

by twoyacks

http://www.neugentcycling.com/product8.html

I cracked my 50mm carbon tubs and replaced them with these. So far very happy. The price is good and a 2 year no questions asked crash replacement (separate purchase) has me worry free...for 2 years anyway

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com