Cane Creek Crono Hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cajer

by cajer

I have a pair of cane creek crono hubs (the ones that have nipples at the hub) that I really like. However the rims on them are competely worn down, and I would like to build the hubs into a pair of Flo 30 rims for training wheels.

Would it be possible to lace them normally with the nail head end of straight pull spokes at the hub and nipples at the rim? I'm just worried that the hub might not be strong enough or designed for straight pull nail head at the hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

I think unless the nipples are realllllly small, you're gonna have trouble doing it that way. Seems to me that it would be easier if you ordered some Chinese carbon rims drilled for internal nipples and then just laced it with the head at the rim like it was designed for. Maybe put a washer in there or somn so it doesn't dig into the carbon.

If you're stuck on the flo 30s, id just get new hubs.

Stefano

cajer

by cajer

As you saying that the holes for the nipple assembly at the hub might be too big to take just the nail head of the spoke?

Stefano

by Stefano

Yes, that is what I am saying. To properly support a straight pull spoke, the hole has to be around the outside diameter of the spoke- so 2.0mm at most, or else the head of the spoke could pull off. Most nipple holes are at least 3mm, which might actually be bigger than the entire head of the spoke. Maybe if you did some modifications with thick washers at the hub or something you could get it to work.

cajer

by cajer

Well I guess it's time for me to take apart my current wheel and see

ergott

by ergott

Don't bother. Won't work. Honestly, those hubs are mediocre quality and really heavy anyway. Better off with new hubs. I swapped those hubs out of wheels before and had them in my hands. Nothing special save for looks.

The only way to actually reuse those hubs to a different rim is to cut the ends of the spokes off and thread them so you have threads on both sides. It's easy if you have access to a Phil Wood or similar spoke machine. Then threadlock one end with the proper nipple. Finish off the build as you would any other wheel.

F45

by F45

Yes, it's possible, but you will need to use steel washers or spacers at the hub side to mimic the way the nipples sat in the flanges.

kramnnim

by kramnnim

I guess the holes might be larger than they need to be, but it looks like the nipples/nuts don't actually go in to the flange, but are like the internal nipple rims suggested above...?

Random picture from Bing- http://content.mtbr.com/images/Tradesho ... dimg12.jpg

ergott

by ergott

That's why I suggest using a spoke that is threaded on both ends. Lock the nipples at the hub because adjusting them sucks. Much easier at the rim.

Anyone with access to a Phil Wood or similar can do this.

cajer

by cajer

I think I'll try the washers at the hub and see if I can build up a wheel when my Flo 30 rim gets in.

ergott

by ergott

What washers? They don't make washers designed for this. Are you going to get custom washers?

Last time. Please don't use washers. It's not the right way to do it. As it is you are taking a mediocre hub and lacing it up to some nice rims. At least use the correct spoke attachment method.

I'm out.

kramnnim

by kramnnim

...are we sure that the holes are actually too large to use straight pull spokes without washers?

ergott

by ergott

Oh and how do you plan on threading spokes through those holes without bending them?

But what do I know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

Listen to ergott or you're gonna end up costing yourself a lot of money... he's a pro and definitely knows better. Also, I guess I was unfamiliar with the hub geometry, but there is no way youll be able to thread those spokes safely/without bending them